TKR Pattikakes Recovery

So glad you are doing so well .. great news... but don’t overdo it on the PT ....slow & steady... hope it goes well xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to Recovery!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Great to hear! Take it easy with the PT and don't let them push on, or bend, your knee. Also, you set the rules and limits for your knee so don't let them scold, cajole or threaten you into going past your limits. Please let us know how it goes.

Anyone have an idea how long it will be before there is no more seeping from the wound? My incision looks really good for the most part, just a little leakage on my bandage.

The seepage could stop any time, or it might go on for a couple of weeks. There really isn't any way of predicting how long.

Good luck with PT. Remember that they work for you, not the other way around. When something hurts, stop doing it. It means your newborn knee isn't ready to do that yet. Also, don't take you pain meds just to be able to do the exercises. That will just mask the pain. You need to feel the pain so you'll know when to stop.

Doing painful exercises sets your recovery back because they cause swelling, inflammation and even more pain. Your knee isn't out of shame, it is extremely wounded and needs to heal from those wounds. Healing is your number one job for the next 6 months or so.

I'very been living constantly since coming home from the hospital but have been wondering when is it time to cut back a little. Currently, I don't have much pain or swelling. Should I be doing ice only as needed?

Perfect-now I get it. I iced any time I was down, plus all night every night. If you don't have much pain or swelling, I'd say whatever you're doing is working. Over time, as you are up and about more and more, you'll naturally ice and elevate less and less. As long as you have a cloth between your skin and the ice, you're fine to ice for long periods of time. Just follow the activity progression guidelines in your post-op reading, and you'll do great.

It seems that ever since starting pt, I have more swelling. The last couple of days, since pt on Fri., my knee, leg and foot are quite swollen--so much so, that I can hardly find a shoe that fits. I'm supposed to have pt again today. Do I go or not? Will that cause more swelling. Maybe I should just stay home and elevate, ice, etc. Advice anyone?

Stay home. Rest, elevate, and ice.
It's the PT that has caused the increased swelling.

For the first month after surgery, the only exercise your knee really needs is gained when you walk around your home - to and from the bathroom and kitchen.
Remember this:
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
My surgeon doesn't allow any formal PT at all for the first month after a knee replacement. He says your knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing. For that month, we rest, ice and elevate our leg, and walk around the house. The walking is our exercise and we increase it a little each week.

After that month, we just go to PT once every 2 weeks, where we are shown a few new exercises to do at home each day.

His patients all do well and achieve good ROM (Range of Motion), as I did, and he hasn't had to do a manipulation to help with ROM for the past 4 years. I think that speaks for itself.

I went for my post and doctor seemed to think all was good when they removed zip line but I'm a little concerned about one little spot that's a little open and draining a little. They didn't seem to think it was that unusual. They used steristrips on incision and made me an appt in four weeks. Is this common or should I be concerned?

It seems that ever since starting pt, I have more swelling. The last couple of days, since pt on Fri., my knee, leg and foot are quite swollen--so much so, that I can hardly find a shoe that fits. I'm supposed to have pt again today. Do I go or not? Will that cause more swelling. Maybe I should just stay home and elevate, ice, etc. Advice anyone?
PT is not helping you at all. It's setting your recovery back. Your knee's reaction is proof of that. I would quit PT for as long as it takes to get your swelling and pain down. Your knee needs to heal. PT is keeping it traumatized and inflamed. It has to settle down before any benefit from PT will be realized.

You don't have to take PT at all if you don't want to. It's your choice. Your knee will recover ROM just fine without it. If you choose to take it, make sure it never hurts, not at the time or not after afterwards. I had 11 knee surgeries and didn't take PT, I just did my daily activities. That kept my knee from excessive swelling and pain and it will yours, too.

I'm curious as to when I can start putting something on the scar, like vitamin E oil, to soften it. I am 5 weeks post op this past Tuesday. Most of the Steri Strips have fallen off and the rest are well on their way. Right now, it looks like I have a lot of dry flakey skin that could use some hydration.

Don't put anything on your scar until the skin is completely healed, with no scabs of slightly open areas. If you put lotions or creams on before that, you risk introducing infection.

Similarly, and for the same reason, you should avoid immersing your knee in water such as a bath or a pool, until the skin is completely healed. Having a shower is all right though. Just make sure you pat your incision dry with a clean towel.

I know right where you are. My new incision is peeling and flaking and itches! Last night I realized I was scratching in my sleep so I gave in and used just a little neosporin around the edges to alleviate a bit of the dryness. I figured it wasn't going to be any worse than scratching open my scabs.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks