THR Yippie Yippie.. Double Hippie!! (CricketHip)

Isn't that just the way? You get sleepy and happy to go to bed and then the fun starts! I tried all that you mentioned above. What @ceezee suggested helped me quite a bit, I took the magnesium right at bedtime.
Interestingly and I'm sure you know this too. Massaging myself wasn't nearly as effective as going to one of my colleagues and getting a good session that allowed me to just rest and enjoy.
Since I started the three exercises from PT- they are for helping correct an anterior tilt of my left hip- my ITB almost immediately backed off.. Maybe it's my imagination to feel it so quickly, but hey, I'll gladly take the relief!
I know it's still there, but it's not restricting my action of stepping forward with my right leg.

I will say this, I am tired.. My body feels good but returning to work, even part time, is taking it's
toll on me. Not the muscles or anything, just plain tired!!
I plan on a very relaxing weekend. We may drive to the shore.. but if so we will keep it to minimal walking, etc. Theres a nice shore town where you can drive to their sea wall and just enjoy the ocean for a little while, then close by is a family run restaurant that has good seafood on their menu.
I plan on keeping my schedule light for the time being.. :flwrysmile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Add up all sources and make sure you’re taking the maximum recommended dosage for women, which is 320mg. No more, no less.

What @ceezee suggested helped me quite a bit, I took the magnesium right at bedtime.
Interestingly and I'm sure you know this too. Massaging myself wasn't nearly as effective as going to one of my colleagues and getting a good session that allowed me to just rest and enjoy.
Since I started the three exercises from PT- they are for helping correct an anterior tilt of my left hip- my ITB almost immediately backed off.. Maybe it's my imagination to feel it so quickly, but hey, I'll gladly take the relief!
I know it's still there, but it's not restricting my action of stepping forward with my right leg.

Good morning, @CricketHip Wow lots of great advice to wake up to this morning! I don't know if you saw my response to @ceezee...it's around here somewhere! LOL I just woke up...haven't had my coffee yet. But yes, I take magnesium regularly, etc. You can see my response to her.

Regarding massage, I absolutely agree with you on receiving massage from someone other than myself. That's the best! As a body worker you are probably grateful, as I am, to be able to know what needs the love and what doesn't. And I think that doing some general circulation work, light frictions, and attachment work is helping. Not so bad the last couple of nights when I decided massage might be in order. I am looking forward to my Hawaii trip where all my fellow therapists live. We often work on each other when I'm there. Heaven!

When my surgeon did my HR, he added length to my leg because I had a leg length discrepancy caused by mother nature herself. The anterior tilt is gone, but I think my ITB doesn't know quite what to do with this "change" and is confused as to what its job is right now. Poor thing. I do think the tenderness is diminishing each day, bit by bit. It will be so nice when all muscles come into balance and can just RELAX.:roseshwr:

I'm so happy you're out and about and enjoying your community. My goal is next week...driving, trips to the community center and restaurants (I adore eating out at good restaurants). Maybe I will add a client or two to my very busy schedule! LOL

You have a beautiful day fellow hipster.

When my surgeon did my HR, he added length to my leg because I had a leg length discrepancy caused by mother nature herself. The anterior tilt is gone, but I think my ITB doesn't know quite what to do with this "change" and is confused as to what its job is right now. Poor thing. I do think the tenderness is diminishing each day, bit by bit. It will be so nice when all muscles come into balance and can just RELAX.:roseshwr:
This sounds similar to my recent hip.. and my thigh muscles were already screaming (and spasming) pre operatively!
Its definitely a different recovery this time. My IT band felt like it was preventing me from striding forward with that leg.. it was so annoying.

@CricketHip ! Yes, Mother Nature can sure play some tricks on us when we come into the world. What I find interesting is that despite my LLD (my daughter has the same problem), we are both really fast/good runners. Well, I'm not so much now, obviously LOL. Maybe a blessing in disguise. Torn labrums seem to be a fairly common issue for women with LLD. Mine tore last year, hers also. We like to do things together! Both of us have also had some limited range of motion for many years, though it hasn't stopped us from athletics. Post op, my leg actually feels much more in balance except for the pain/numbness. I am attributing this to compression of the Lateral Femoral Cutaneous Nerve. Post op blues so to speak. Now that my incision is healing, I am doing some gentle fascia release around the inguinal ligament as well as general massage to the quads. This has helped immensely! Soon, when I'm ready, I will do some gentle stretching of iliopsoas and quads, but I do have to be careful since I had an Anterior procedure. Probably a bit too cautious, but there's no way I want to compromise my healing.

I will fly to Palm Desert to watch the Pickleball Nationals. This will be the real test as there's lots and lots of walking. I'm hoping that by then I should do pretty well in that department (will be 6 weeks post op).

Sweet dreams @CricketHip and may your strides be long, graceful, and flowing!!!

I'm almost at 3 months and things are changing quickly. I must say that I love my PT guy. He was an athletic trainer for several years then returned to get his Physical Therapy degree.
I've only been to him once, we worked on only 3 exercises. He took a good bit of time listening to me and assessing and agreed the my left hip was anteriorly tilted.. which was aggravating the right side.
After doing the 3 exercises and then repeating them that evening I felt such relief in my right IT Band. It was like my pelvis wanted to be level and responded easily.

But by the end of this week, I was tired from working and didn't do the exercises on Thursday or Friday.. and the stiffness began to return. This morning, I returned back to those 3 exercises and things loosened up once again.
So much so that I decided to take a nice long drive in the new (old) car with a manual 4 speed, drove it for a little over 90 minutes and it felt great! Husband was with me and would have taken over if it began to be too much.. Older cars without power brakes don't stop all that easily so my right hip got a good workout.

I'm seeing a huge improvement in just about everything related to this THR.. it got off to a slower start initially, but icing and resting to the point of getting very discouraged, has seemed to be the solution.
It wasn't the most exciting of weeks, but now when I look back, it seems like it wasn't that long after all.

I've noticed others on here taking a step back and reassessing things in their lives and I'm no different..

I love my work, I love being self employed but I think it's time to back off my work load a bit. It will be hard to stick to but I want to enjoy where I am in my life and continue to savor the little things. Like having two hips that glide along without catching, almost throwing me to the ground!

K girl, I just read your recent reply, my LLD was from having the LTHR and then waiting almost 4 years for the Right to catch up. I was "blessed" with dysplasia.

Happy Weekend Bonesmarties! Wherever you are in this journey.. :flwrysmile:

Last edited:
They were more complex than that.. it's more like the left hip is anterior but not the right. As in a rotated pelvis, actually. All 3 exercises were helping move left hip back, right hip forward.
He appreciated the fact that I've not been able to work ergonomically for a loooong time and the exercises are specific to undoing some of that. He's my new best friend. :snork: Plus! I told him I was worried about doing 20 reps of things.. he has me doing 4 reps of each exercise 2 times a day and practicing deep breathing. How did I luck out so?
I think most of us need exercises that are specific to what our needs are, don't you? Just because it works for me doesn't mean it works for others.
I just hope when I return next week that my second and third visit are as productive. :angel:

So glad you found him @CricketHip ! He sounds like just what you need. And I do agree that what works for one doesn't necessairly work for another. Yes, the anterior/posterior rotation is a common scenario. And discovering the imbalances, i.e. inhibited, weak, dominant, antagonists/agonists takes some really focused & determined detective work to correct the imbalances. He must have done that for you and now your body is responding and HAPPY. I love that when that happens!! Any whoooo, have a good one.

Sounds like you found 'the one' who will help you on your journey. So glad for you. I have an amazing PT (13 years now) and she has made all the difference in my life.20 reps imagine --I always see overuse in that which is how I got into this'mess' to begin with--marathoner--excessive. You take it easy--easy gets the prize. Thank you for all your words of support--much appreciated and going through your own travails.

Happy Three Month Anniversary to someone special :wink:
Thanks for all you do here to uplift, educate and encourage.
BoneSmart is blessed to have you. :yes:
Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday! :flwrysmile:
@CricketHip

Awww, thank you @Layla!
Can’t believe I’m already to 3 months!!
There’s so much support on this forum and I enjoy being a part of it.

My work day was interrupted by a power outage so am home earlier than planned and hoping to enjoy a nice long 3 month recovery walk!
:loveshwr: :SUNsmile:

@mikeycat thanks for your kind words.. you are good at lifting others up on this forum, too! We most certainly "get it." We've all been through it.
So you were a marathoner? I only ran 5 and 10 K's. I thought about doing a marathon and figured it would be the end of my back issues.. as in the end of any relief!! :heehee:

Hip hip hooray @CricketHip
Three month hipversary:happyfeet:

Hope all keeps getting better and better.

Hubby and I are headed to a food/craft fair. Looking forward to one of the restaurant’s home made butternut squash soup.
I’m also looking forward to walking pain free this year! There are trolley tracks on their Main Street and last year it was hard on me. I plan to avoid them, no sense tempting my fate, but I’m enjoying getting out and about without a cane.

I still use my walking sticks when we hike or walk on uneven surfaces, and will continue with those. I like them and how they help my upper body get a workout.

Tomorrow begins a return to healthier eating, very annoyed with my eating patterns and tight waistbands. :gaah:

I still fight the dreaded stiffness in the mornings or even after sitting for too long, hoping that resolves soon. I’m also thinking about holding off on PT this week, I like his approach but he seems limited in adding things that don’t involve squats, lunges, plus doesn’t do any hands on other than a small amount of stretching. So I’m there less than 40 minutes.
The exercises he gave for my pelvic imbalance are easy to do at home so will take a break this week and do my thing at home and leave out the things that I know hip #2 doesn’t like.
Plus my beloved yellow lab is having some health issues and will need any extra time for getting him to and from the vet office, hubby is tied up with his aged mother so his schedule will be crazy this week, too.
She’s almost 96 and her dementia is beginning to be unsafe for her.
Aahhh life!

Good Morning, CricketHip :wave:
Aside from the the health issues of your beloved lab and your MIL, it sounds like things are going well and you're making great progress.
Hopefully the sun shines and the weather cooperates providing a beautiful Autumn day at the food / craft fair. Enjoy!
@CricketHip

@CricketHip Sounds like a wonderful day out! I find calorie counting helps me control my waistband, but that will go out the window when I have surgery and have to eat to heal tissues.
Butternut soup sounds divine. I came across honey nut squash and it is like butternut, but sweeter, if you come across any.
What kind of walking sticks do you use? @gertie and @mainegirl1 have piqued my interest in walking poles for recoveryand it sounds like you use them as well.
Enjoy you day out!

I’ve been using Leki walking poles that I originally bought for hiking the Grand Canyon. The handle lets you use them as a cane or a hiking pole. And they collapse so they’re easy to travel with. Plus you can easily buy tips for them for specific use, like pavement.

These are similar to what I have:

@CricketHip A food/craft fair sounds like a really fun thing to do--and yes, even better to do pain free!
Interesting re: PT. Sounds like a good plan to simply proceed on your own for this week, especially given other responsibilities. I booked a one month out appt last time I saw Jen--there's not much for her to do in the office and I know the drill--I just need to do the exercises (there's something to be said re: accountability with more frequent appts).

I'm glad the poles are working for you. I love mine and use them even on flat surfaces when I'm going for an "exercise walk." They help my posture and balance, and as you note, increase the intensity of the walk. @VSlowLife I have Black Diamond poles--I got the slightly more expensive variety with foam hand grips--the cheapest I think have plastic grips which felt hard and I imagine could get slippery when my hands are hot. The next step up from mine in cost have cork grips. I had previously gotten something really cheap at Target but they were hard to adjust for length and kept collapsing on me--not safe.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back