Revision THR Hope for 2020, Revised THR

Thank you so much Carol. Great advise. Will ask for diagnosis of knee. My knee was not involved in original fracture. All knee pain has been post THR.

I did get a good old laugh about treadmill. Probably better to walk outside. Hoping the 90’s leave us soon. I love Fall and it always makes it more desirable to get outside.

Hope you are doing ok with your return to work. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. @CricketHip

@Fit4Family--I can't recall if you have had an MRI of your knee? Is it possible that in the process of the hip replacement and all of the twisting around of the leg something was torn? I assume those are the kinds of things you plan to ask about. Be sure to write all your questions down and if you leave with questions, call them right back to follow up.....good luck tomorrow.:loveshwr:

Thank you so much @Debru4 I am armed with a list this time and hope to leave with a plan of action. I am starting to think something was damaged in my knee. If it’s just healing I would have peace of mind to just know it’s not serious. I have had X-ray only. No arthritis, or anything broken, so must be soft tissue. Will report back after appointment today.

Sending hugs and kisses your way Sarah for some positive news, ie, we want to know if we are just healing!
Thumbs Up.jpeg Izzy xx

Hey there F4F!
I also wonder if there is something an MRI might catch that will get you past this knee problem.
I tried to break my foot Friday but it's just soft tissue and bone contusion so I've been back on the limping trail which my hips have not appreciated.:umm:
Nor my calf on that side.

So true that with everything connected, things have to be all in sync or we dont work optimally.
:sigh:
Sending all the best Mojo your way:roseshwr:

Hi All,

Back from 6 month check with OS. I wish I could report that I feel relieved, but I will start with positives.

1. Everything is where it should be, bone is covering implant and no movement of anything.
  2. No sign of anything wrong with my knee, second set of X-rays today. All issues are fluid, pointing to inflammation not vascular.
  3. Tendonitis seems much improved, but not cleared for weights, bands, butterfly kick or anything that kicks legs to front or side.
So he reassured me that nothing is wrong with my knee. He operates on knees and said mine is just getting brunt of fluids still trapped from all the surgery. He said my surgery is not at all the usual he deals with so unfortunately, he has no idea when I will heal completely, or sadly if I will heal completely. He told me to hang in there. Hold on to hip MRI and come in if I start loosing forward progress, no matter how slow. “Forward” is what he says I need to focus on. I broke down and cried. I will get it together, I’m just feeling pretty hopeless.

I think I just need a few days to regroup. I can swim. Freestyle only. Arms weights, walking. Nothing that hurts. I will be back. Just collecting my inner Mojo. ❤️

Hey there @Mojo333 Oh no, so sorry about your foot!! Yikes! Glad it isn’t broken. Sending you lots of healing thoughts hipster buddy. We all ❤️ you so very much!! You are the funny bone of this site!!

Oh, I am so sorry to hear the lack of 100% good news, @Fit4Family, nothing worse than having this issue with your knee still unresolved despite your best hopes, and no definite answer as to when (or if) it will heal completely. I am sure you did break down for a moment, and it will take some time to process that before you move forward--but I really do hope you are able to take a deep breath and focus on the good news, which was really quite good--hips in place, no structural problem with the knee and some relief from tendonitis. That aspect of your recovery news is great. I think you'll just need to be patient (absolutely hard, although easy to suggest) and believe that, in good time, your body is going to heal completely, just not within the timeframe you'd like. If he said your surgery was not the ordinary sort that probably means, I'm guessing, that it involved a lot more work and "messing around" in there which might help to explain what probably feels like such a lengthy and tedious recovery, beset with setbacks and unexplained problems. As you noted, you WILL be back!

Oh sweet, sweet, sweet Sarah. I gasped and my heart went out to you. This is not what you wanted to hear.

It is two years in a few weeks since my slip and fall which left me bed/wheelchair bound for 18 months ... only to be able to attempt walking six months ago but plagued with Plantar Fascilitis for six weeks. Now I struggle with a walker and/or one crutch. I am not looking forward to my Surgeon visit on Friday for my six-month follow-up. I do not think he will be pleased with my rolling in with a wheelchair but the consultancy rooms are in a wing behind the hospital and a long way from Blood Analysis and another wing and floor away from X-Rays and I won't be embarrassed to say I cannot walk those distances.

I have made it through two incidences of Cancer, the last being cleared this past July. I am physically scarred for life but not mentally. These current issues have scarred me physically too ... but I will not let them mentally scar me either.

Albeit smaller in stature, I believe I am stronger than you. I am reaching out across the ocean, please take my hand and let's go make some lemonade. I promise I won't let go.

Hold my hand.jpeg always here for you, Izzy xx

Awww your post brought a tear to my eye @Izabel I'd no idea you had suffered so much and yet you're so cheerful and positive and help us all. Poor @Fit4Family I do sympathise with you. Nothing worse than being told everything is fine when you're still disabled and in pain. I suspect it's this damned tendonitis still. I have a couple of good days (comparatively) and then the next I'll be woken with a pain somewhere different(knee last night) having done nothing to cause it. Are you still taking as many painkillers as possible? I find NSAIDs help most.I would knock off everything except basic exercises and go back to ice and rest for a while. Its boring but Im much further on than you and wake some days thinking Ill never be right and Im so tired of this endless journey. But then another day I feel much better and remember all the things I can do now that I couldnt before. Im sure you will get there.
Do you have a sympathetic GP who might offer advice or referrals elsewhere?
Best of luck. xxx

Good Morning @Barbaraj

Thank you so much for your heartfelt note. I know I will pull it together. I just have to let go of a few things as I have too full of a day and just need to focus on healing. I am going to take a few days and try to figure out what I can stop doing. Mom and wife role are about all I can handle right now.

I hope it is tendonitis that is still limiting my progress. The Gluteous minimus tendon is deep in the hip area, that it’s only a guess as to how it’s healing. My OS said he had someone next door who had THR for arthritis. Surgery went great and she was doing beautifully. I stared at him, like ok what’s you point? He said I can’t compare myself to that situation. Far more extensive work had to be done and the previous surgery hadn’t healed yet. My surgery was 4.5 hours. I told him I was grateful and that I appreciated all he had done, I just thought I’d be ok eventually. Guess that’s the part I need to make peace with. I won’t be returning to my same body. I have to make this situation work as best as it can. Thank you so much for your encouragement. You have such a big heart! Grateful for your presence on this forum.

Dear Izzy @Izabel

Your sweet note brought me to tears this morning. I know you have been through so very much and we all love you. You are such a bright light here, spreading love and sunshine. I will hold your hand across the ocean. I’ve made so much lemonade that I could open a stand. Might be time to make something stronger. Lol. Sending love sweet friend. Will email you later. Have conference calls to get on today after son gets off to school. xxxx ❤️

Hello @bickypeg

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. Our healing situations do seem very similar. I had same thought as I went to bed last night. I think it is the tendon that is causing this. For sure it’s how my knee swelled up again. So I am going to go back to more icing and elevating. Adding back aspirin to my day. We will get there. I don’t know exactly what it will look like, but I know I am very lucky to have such a great group of friends here and a truly amazing hubby. He went white yesterday when doctor was talking. I need to pull it together today and figure out a plan. Hope you start having many more good days than bad. Glad you are getting relief from the NSADs. ❤️

Oh dear, I am so sorry. I feel your frustration.. deeply. Especially when you say that the surgeon basically compared you to another patient? Of course you had a good cry, that is very understandable. Throughout your journey you've remained so sweet and so supportive of others on this forum. We will be honored to help support you while you regain your equilibrium, as I'm positive you will, and if needed, take more than a few days.

I wonder, do you think a physician specializing in sports medicine could offer you any guidance? I'm thinking about their knowledge of soft tissue injuries. Or an orthopedic Dr who isn't a surgeon? I have one in the same medical practice as my OS and he explains things so well. Maybe one who won't tell you that he/she doesn't know if and when it will heal.
Forgive me if you've already touched on this but can you elevate your legs at night while sleeping? Something to help keep that knee from having the fluid accumulate and cause more inflammation?
If you'd like, after you take some time to assimilate everything, I could offer you some lymph drainage tips that you can do for yourself. That could help drain the accumulation of fluid, also.

You are right to take a few days to regroup. Take care of yourself and be kind to yourself. ((hugs))
Remember, we care. A lot! :console2:

If you'd like, after you take some time to assimilate everything, I could offer you some lymph drainage tips that you can do for yourself. That could help drain the accumulation of fluid, also.
@Fit4Family, I highly recommend trying this! I got these tips earlier from Carol and they really help to reduce swelling in my legs. They’re easy to do and very relaxing as well.

That all sounds sensible @CricketHip and definitely time for a second opinion @Fit4Family. I think we forget sometimes that orthopaedic surgeons are basically mechanics used to operating on healthy people. Perhaps not very good at thinking outside the box and certainly not noted for their social skills. Sounds as though you need to see someone who'll see you holistically not just as as the body on the end of his operation. Take it as easy as possible.
I've just had what has felt like a wasted day sitting and dozing and reading with the odd walk round the garden. Very frustrating but I'm already feeling more comfortable and what passes for normal these days.:umm:

Sweet Sarah, who is so kind to all. I hate to see you feeling so low.
There is a lot of good to focus on in your visit with the surgeon. Everything in place, no movement, bone is covering implant. No signs of anything wrong with your knee, aside from inflammation and CricketHip can share some pointers here that will hopefully help with that....so there's hope! And you are moving forward, you may be creeping as opposed to leaping, but it is progress, please hold onto that.

Far more extensive work had to be done and the previous surgery hadn’t healed yet. My surgery was 4.5 hours.

Please don't lose sight of this. I can see it would be easy to feel discouraged when you're reading of those surpassing you, but under entirely different circumstances and much less involved than your situation.
While it's been six months, it's ONLY six months and a full recovery can take up to a year, I've even read of OS's saying twenty four to thirty months for some. Focus on the positive and the subtle changes you want to make and keep on moving. I have every confidence you'll get there and we're walking right along with you.
Sending love, a warm hug and wishes for brighter days. :console2:
@Fit4Family

@Fit4Family … the thing that jumps out at me from your post is that this was a 6 MONTH CHECK UP....yes, it's true that you had no "ordinary" hip replacement, but everything has taken well, according to your surgeon. You are experiencing the recovery that you are having; not mine, not anyone else's, but yours. It's terrible that doctors don't realize the power of their words...patients hang on to every word. If there is a tiny piece of doubt in their minds, we take that as truth, when it's just they are speculating.

I was at my PT's office yesterday...there was still fluid trapped between my knee and my thigh and she was able to move it out and also work on my back that was in spasm. So, I am 5 months out and still have residual things going on. Perhaps you can find a qualified manual physical therapist that can work on your body and help you like it has helped me.

Please understand; I am absolutely not minimizing your situation and what you had been hoping to hear from your surgeon. I know that must have been crushing. BUT: You will get better than where you are at right now. Since this is my second hip replacement, I remember continuing to heal way into my second year! Keep the faith, my dear Sarah. xox

Fit4Family,
I will echo what others have said, I had a long slog of a recovery from my revision TKR in 2014. I am still improving. I am walking longer and longer distances than just last year. I am finding I no longer need to think about where I am going to park, I can stand for unlimited time, travel anywhere, and no longer think about my knee.
I did what I could, pushed the boundaries of my limitations a little at a time, and slowly but surely have healed.
Hang in there, it will get better.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks