THR Yippie Yippie.. Double Hippie!! (CricketHip)

Awww thank you @Calgal :curtsey:
Funny story about using the cane. I have two of them and somehow I've lost one! Talk about walking away from one, apparently I did just that when out of the house somewhere.. :rotfl:

You are doing fabulously, @CricketHip, for two months out--starting to do some work, but pacing yourself sensibly, and getting out for a meal with friends, and even grocery shopping are all signs of welcome progress along the recovery trail. Have a great day!

Sounds like you are taking things in just the right fashion-not too little-not too much--just right. I like the smoothness of your posts and your uplifting advice and I see you reflect exactly the same in your own recovery-my hero.

Sounds like you are taking things in just the right fashion-not too little-not too much--just right. I like the smoothness of your posts and your uplifting advice and I see you reflect exactly the same in your own recovery-my hero.

Oh my gosh, @mikeycat , thank you! I just finished my one session for the day and was just standing in my room thinking wow, I could have completed another session and had to stop myself.
It's an ongoing conversation.. and now your post just helped me cool my jets.. :loveshwr:

@CricketHip :wowspring:2 months!!! Time flies, especially in summertime. This is a wonderful report, and I'm so happy that things have settled down for you in that new hip … What a blessing to have a chiropractor check you out and be able to help your body heal itself....after all, isn't that really what happens? We do have amazing bodies that tend toward healing if we just let them. Just a tiny precautionary tip: 2 months is when I started to feel "normal", and I overdid things a bit too much on a couple of occasions. Okay, preaching over. I'm also glad to hear that you are back in business! hahaha! I am happy to report that my new hip has taken a backseat to my days lately, and I couldn't be happier :happydance: Love ya!

That is the best news yet! @Bfam85 - the forgotten hip! You were successful this time of keeping the nagging tendons from, well, nagging!
I don't mind your cautioning me, at all. My work schedule is so puny that it's laughable. But feels so good to be in the office and contributing. The minute it begins to feel too much is the minute that I cancel some days.
It's in the mid 70's here and partly sunny skies so will work with my laptop on my front porch for a while, it makes the dog so happy. The I'm down with ice and a nap.
We are getting this thing done, friend! Bionic is best!

@CricketHip you are doing so well, congrats on slowly easing back into work. Love your posts, I always seem to learn some useful information. Would love the mid 70s during the day, best we did was the other day when it rained, went from 96 to 74 in a matter of minutes. Didn't last long and you could cut the humidity with a knife.
:heehee:

@Elf1 Thanks, and you are doing so well, too! I used my cane to help me carry my briefcase and about 5 other things that I thought I needed to carry. Trying to work smart.
We had that miserable humidity up to 2 days ago, but now I am trying to remember, are you in Texas or in the New England area? Now that is a funny sentence! Anyway, I was going to say that the cooler temps are headed your way but now I'm not so sure. :chinstroke:
I hope you are having a good day!

@CricketHip Great to hear the progress of another Rothman Institute alumni-patient ...

Sounds like things are coming along well ... and that you are really listening to your body.

@CricketHip in Texas so not expecting a break anytime soon. Not index today is supposed to be around 108. Ran to the gym real quick earlier and headed straight back to the house! :loll:

Sounds like you are doing so well @CricketHip Happy to see all your progress for two months. Love Mojos pat on the back. Very interesting to see that a pelvic adjustment helped you turn the corner.

I love your approach to healing. You have really influenced my approach as well. I am listening to my body and advocating for what I need. Kudos for getting back to work. Sand walking is absolutely amazing. :shocked: Encouraging to think it will be possible some day. Hope you have a great week!! ❤️

2 months and back to work I envy you. Your posts always give me hope and tea and sympathy. So nice to see your smiling face too--a real picker-upper.

@Going4fun Yes! Three cheers for Rothman! I know we aren't supposed to compare but this hip definitely is different than the first one. But I'm getting there. That Bensalem Surgery Center is pretty darn awesome. Runs smoothly and efficiently. :yes:
@Fit4Family You will get there. Believe me it was a very short walk in the sand. But even a week earlier I couldn't have done it. Returning to work is going ok. I am doing a very limited amount of work and logistically should have taken Wednesday as my break day but a client needed that specific day. I was limping a bit on my cane when I left afterwards to go home and ice/nap, was relieved to feel better after an hour of that. Based on that I won't be increasing the volume next week though, or even the following week. You are having some improvements, too! :ok:
@mikeycat - Thank you! Remember you had bilateral THR's and now the carpal tunnel.. you are getting better, just go re read some of the earlier posts on your thread. It's amazing with what you've pushed through.
Hope tea and sympathy, I love that! :loveshwr:

Additional observation. It's annoying though to return to work, people don't get what a THR entails.. they seem very confused at my limited schedule. Maybe I should send them the video of a THR?? :heehee:
I read back through my first replacement and it's good that I did. I did a phased return similar to this time. My memory had me thinking that I just took off right out of the starting gate.. nope,, not the case. Having our recovery thread becomes a good reference point later.

@CricketHip it's so perplexing to figure out what to say to people about hip replacement and the pace of recovery. On the one hand, people seem utterly amazed that we can move ... the day of surgery ... hours after surgery ... but then everybody seems to know someone or heard of someone who had some two-week recovery.

I returned to work after four months ... and I got oddly lucky ... I went to see a colleague-buddy ... and I mentioned my surgery and she said, "Oh yeah, you were dragging that leg when you came in her." I was bummed at the time that I was still limping (I had been sitting for a few hours and I think she saw my startup stiffness).

Maybe we ought to carry a cane even when we aren't using it anymore? I'm totally stumped on this matter.

Great for you to re-read your previous thread. Once we recover, I think our brains can easily wipe out the early struggles, and in our memory we seemingly speed up the pace of recovery. Hang in there.

Boy, isn't it perplexing!! That's the perfect word @Going4fun. Then there's the ones who are overly commiserative. hahah I guess there's no pleasing me. Today is my day off and by mid morning felt completely recovered from returning to work. That is so hopeful.
I hope you are completely back to dancing like nobody's watching?? :snork: I love that phrase.

Nice that you've got such a flexible work schedule, @CricketHip I am sure many folks are jealous of that (not me--I'm retired!) but great that you've been able to balance your work schedule to correspond with how you're feeling. I do understand that it helps your mental health to be back at work, even for brief periods, and feel as if you're contributing--that must be a real mood booster. Hope you're having a great day!

Whenever I put my feet way high up on the Lounge Doctor I get very cold. I’m wondering what causes this. It must have something to do with the work it’s doing. It just seems odd that I get this reaction. It happens every time. Any thoughts?

@ceezee Well, that is a unique question.. I have no idea! Is it just your lower extremities that feel cold, or your entire body?
A full body massage has the ability to lower your blood pressure and clients will report that they are chilled, which can last for a couple of hours, but haven't experienced it with lymph drainage and elevating the legs. :scratch:

@Barbaraj- thanks!! It has been nice to be able to manage my lighter schedule, but it seems that now that I've opened the floodgates it's becoming a bit of pressured scheduling again. When I'm 100% it's not unusual for me to be fully booked out 5-6 weeks. It's difficult to predict when I can schedule like that again, but am already scheduling into November - mainly because I refuse to overbook my day. I figure I can always contact people and move them up sooner if I feel I'm strong enough. It's a worry, regardless.

I am officially a day over 11 weeks! Everything is getting so much easier now. I still have that stubborn tightness and discomfort along my Iliotibial Band, full length of it. My Tensor Fasciae Latae still hasn't forgiven me, either. (sounds like something you'd get from Starbucks!) But is to be expected since I had the anterior approach and it was majorly inflamed and tensed before the replacement surgery.
So I ice in the evenings and take an ice pack to bed with me. My energy levels are pretty normal, maybe one day a week I hit the exhaustion wall, but think that's due to working again and picking up some of the chores in the household.

I'm still trying to break bad habits with my gait. I think I'm gliding along and doing well until I look through the recordings on our home's security cameras and boy what a downer! I look as if I'm afraid to flex my knee.. but not doing it deliberately.
So I might, now that I'm almost to 3 months, contact a PT office and have them analyze my gait.
As for medications- I may pop a couple Tylenol during the day but not while working because I don't want to mask anything that I should be feeling as a warning.
Mornings are the hardest, as many on here can attest to. I'm ok after I get things warmed up and moving.. so that's about it for an update!

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks