THR RinTinTin Recovery Thread

@RinTinTin !! I missed your first updates! We had a ton of errands to run last night and wasn't on the forum except on my phone while in the car (passenger)
You did it and you sound like you are doing well. :happydance:
I woke up during my first THR and like you it wasn't upsetting at all. I figure there was some happy juice in my veins.. I still distinctly remember that I couldn't will my eyes to open but could tell there was a bright light in the room and I could hear the pounding in of what I'm guessing was the stem portion, and thinking "awww they're working on meeeeee." And right back to sleep.
Fever is indeed common, I think they get concerned if it goes up to and over 101. In fact I carried a fever in the evenings and had night sweats for at least two weeks with my current hip.

You sound great and that makes me so happy!! You had a tough pre op stint.
Enjoy your PT and learning to walk and do stairs, etc. I found that walking helped with the stiffness and discomfort.

:elevate::ice::ice::ice::ice:

Just don't let PT push you in any way.

The PT is coming soon to get me moving... the goal is to make few steps from the bed to the stretcher in the hallway so the can take me to another X-Ray.
My OS just visited me and checked my legs and the incision. He said I am doing great. He said I can fully stand on my leg when the PT comes... it my feel strange, like a log but it’s all expected

@RinTinTin !! Enjoy your PT and learning to walk and do stairs, etc. I found that walking helped with the stiffness and discomfort.

:elevate::ice::ice::ice::ice:
I am looking forward to start moving and scared in the same time as I now the pain and stiffness is inevitable. The managed to keep my pain away so far... I had great naps overnight
Where do you get all this emoticons?

@RinTinTin when you are typing look above at the tool bar, it's right above the box where we type. You will see to the right of the mid line a smiley face. Just click on that and scroll down below your typing screen and you will see all of the options. Have fun with them, I love them, obviously!
I think you will be pleasantly surprised when they get you up and moving. It's nothing like that sharp, grinding joint pain of pre op days.

8431423A-AAF7-46D0-A5D4-4112A263A202.jpeg

Happy Wednesday!
Don't be afraid of pain and stiffness, it may be less bothersome than you're imagining.
Let us know how it goes.
Best of luck!
@RinTinTin

@RinTinTin I think you will be pleasantly surprised when they get you up and moving. It's nothing like that sharp, grinding joint pain of pre op days.
PT made me do some gentle exercises just to try to activate all the muscles in the hip, gluteus and knee areas. They then got me stand and using the walker make approx 10 steps to the stretcher. Had X-Ray and now back in the room where they made me sit in the recliner for next 2 hours. Hip area is a bit sore now... not sure if it’s from moving or from sitting in the recliner. Icing...

Hip area is a bit sore now... not sure if it’s from moving or from sitting in the recliner.
Just normal post op discomfort. Great that you are icing! These days surgeon inject pain medication into the joint before closing up. You may be pleasantly surprised at how little post op pain you experience.

Some of the initial heavy hitter intraoperative pain meds wearing off? They will move you forward to your postop pain meds --just ask what your options are! Sounds like all is as usual for new postop!

Everything sounds as to be expected, yippee to you! It is exhausting just getting up the first few days. I got light headed a lot because my blood pressure was a bit low. It got better after a few days and when I was safely resting at home. Don't be afraid to put weight on your leg, I was scared also at first but as soon as I did, I was ecstatic that it really didn't hurt anymore!! Log leg yes but none of that grinding bone on bone pain. You're on your way to a whole new life! :yes!: Congrats, keep up the meds and ice, and go with the flow! :egypdance:

Just normal post op discomfort. Great that you are icing! These days surgeon inject pain medication into the joint before closing up. You may be pleasantly surprised at how little post op pain you experience.

Yes, I got that injection and so far I had very little or almost no pain. It’s only today that the whole area is a bit sore after the exercises and a short walk.
I am lucky so far

Don't be afraid to put weight on your leg, I was scared also at first but as soon as I did, I was ecstatic that it really didn't hurt anymore!! Log leg yes but none of that grinding bone on bone pain.

My OS visited me this morning again and said the same thing... not to be afraid to put weight on my operated leg.
It was funny when the PT guided me to get up from the bed. She said to slightly bend my “good” leg and extend the operated before I lift myself up holding the walker. My “good” hip decided to display the firework. The cracking noise was so loud.

"Good hip" has a different meaning for you :xmark: I hope you have a good day icing and doing the little steps and walking that they will have you doing. Most definitely you will be feeling some soft tissue soreness, it's the norm.

"Good hip" has a different meaning for you :xmark:

The PT didn’t know my other hip is as bad as the operated one and needs a replacement too. She called it “good hip”
If all is okay... this one is due on Dec 03

All I can say is "Yooooo Rinty!!!" Happy to hear you're through it and on to the next phase. Can't imagine waking up to hear my bones being sawed and hammered on, leg being torqued this way and that. Nope! Glad it didn't happen to me. I was glad that I didn't have a general. They are the worst thing to come out of!!!

Keep on keepin' on!

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s funny, but even if you did wake up... it feels like chilling out in your backyard and hearing some construction work at neighbour’s place.

Last edited by a moderator:
@RinTinTin you sound really well, just continue to take it slow and easy. We all are a bit apprehensive about our new hip and will it hold us, etc. It will and usually without much pain. The majority of my pain was from the incision and the muscles/tendons that weren't happy. It also seems like we're waiting for the proverbial show to drop with the pain. Just take it slow, ice, elevate, sleep every chance you get and take your meds as prescribed. If they aren't working speak up and let them know so they can adjust them. Stay ahead of the pain, much easier to deal with when under control then to play catch up after the fact, no time to be a hero! Rest easy!

@RinTinTin you sound really well, just continue to take it slow and easy. We all are a bit apprehensive about our new hip and will it hold us, etc.

Thanks @Elf1 I am in no hurry to get this under control. I had enough pain in the last several years and I don’t want to get there anymore. I understand the surgery itself is the easiest part of our hip adventures and that the road to recovery is the one that’s tough!
I will give my best to listen to all advises wonderful people posted in this forum.
I don’t need to be marathon runner again and Crossfit gym rat... I want to be able to enjoy the life without this horrible arthritis pain
:cheers:

@RinTinTin I think you'll be surprised with what you'll be able to do once you're healed. Probably no marathons but I'm sure your OS will be able to tell you what you can do and from everything I'm seeing from reading recovery threads sounds like life goes back to pretty much normal, without the pain!

@RinTinTin I think you'll be surprised with what you'll be able to do once you're healed. Probably no marathons but I'm sure your OS will be able to tell you what you can do and from everything I'm seeing from reading recovery threads sounds like life goes back to pretty much normal, without the pain!

I already know there will be no running. My OS told me that on our first meeting. No contact sports either (soccer, football etc.); no sports where you need to swing or fall (tennis, skying etc).
Hey, but there are still tons of options out there to stay active and fit.
At the moment all I want is to feel good and enjoy

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back