THR RTHR 19th August 2019

Good morning All...to @Marls00 ... one more thing. You said, "I am both cautious and anxious to progress quicker ... a weird combo but that's me." What a terrific way to live life, being both excited but cautious. You, my friend, are very wise indeed!! Have a beautiful healing day, one step at a time. :)

Morning.. How’s everyone getting on?
I’m at day 20 and seemed to have turned a corner! On day 18 I woke up with Hardly any pain and have stopped taking codeine completely! I have taken 6 paracetamol over the last 48 hours. It was like one day the pain just stopped. I am walking with a cane when out but when home I am unaided. I do have to work hard on the slight limp and go back to the cane when tired to make sure I walk straight. Yesterday I walked over 5000 steps with no ill effect today. I am stiff in the morning and slightly aching but this eases with a walk. I am walking up stairs normally most of the time. I did the washing and cooked dinner! I can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel. Sleep is still an issue so I do get tired. My hip still feels full. Really hoping to be back at work in 3 weeks.
My scar is quite lumpy and puckered but will start with bio oil massage this week I think. Hoping you are all seeing good progress.

Great to hear you are doing so well.:egypdance:
The sleep part of the puzzle didnt get right for me for some time, so I had to resign myself to a power nap here and there when I was able.
We new hippys often get so excited about our improvements, we can easily overdo when things start to get on the upswing.
Recovery often isn't a straight line however.
So...Now is not the time to do anything to excess.
My hip still feels full
It can still benefit from some icing to reduce inflammation so hope you are still chilling:ice:
Baby it all you can before you have to take it back to work.:yes:
Great job and things will keep getting better.:tada:

@Mojo333
Thank you , yes I am icing. Maybe not as much as before though so I will increase as it does feel inflamed inside..
Only had 4 hours sleep last night so hopeful that I will sleep tonight.
I do have a tendency to rush things so I will have an easier day tomorrow!

Hi @Dolphin777 :wave:
Take it slow, sweetie. It's still early days at only three weeks post op.
Especially if you have to return to work in three weeks which is pretty early. It's easy to over do it when we're feeling good, so please take it easy.

I agree with Mojo about icing along with elevation. The two should help the swelling or tightness you're feeling go down. It's recommended you ice for 40-60 mins, no less, each time you ice.

Energy Drain is common. Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial.
Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.

Rest up and have a lovely week! :SUNsmile:

Dolphin777, I am getting a RTHR on Decemebr 18th. I am concerned and would LOVE to hear how everything was done for you. :)

Hope you are healing well. You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Erica :flwrysmile:

Hi @Dolphin777
Wondering how you've been doing over the past week? Hopefully all is well.
Leave us an update when you have a minute. We'd love to hear how you're progressing.
Wishing you all the best!

@ebair23
Hey hon, just want to clarify in case you're not understanding...RTHR stands for Right Total Hip Replacement. Dolphin777 didn't have a revision. I'm going to leave info on your thread re: members who've been through Revision that you can peruse. Have a great week!

Hello again.
Thank you for your messages. It’s been an interesting week. I was doing well and then had 2 days of pain where went back to codeine.:shrug: I had a very sore area at the top of my scar which hurt to walk and to touch. It really got me down. Found myself reading all of the post op blues threads! I thought it must be bursitis. However I got back to seriously icing it and it is much better. Still a little sore but much easier. The last 2 days I have progressed enormously all of a sudden. I am walking about 6500 to 7500 steps a day ,quite a lot of it without a cane. I am using the cane as still working on a very slight limp but For the very first time I can feel that the arthritic pain has gone. :happydance: After 4 years of groin and buttock pain it’s quite weird to be out of pain, I keep expecting that awful pain when going upstairs but it’s gone! My hip feels less full and finally starting to feel it belongs to me again. The journey for me is 2 steps forward and than a step back before a leap forward again. It’s been very emotional too. Seeing the surgeon in 2 weeks and should be cleared to drive I hope! I actually think I could drive now but will wait to be sure. Sleeping is still a challenge but should be able to get off my back sleeping in 2 weeks, although last night in desperation I did sleep on my side with a big pillow between my knees, not for long as I was scared but it helped my back. Still wearing the compression stockings like a good girl! Can’t wait to be at 6 weeks when it seems the restrictions are lessened, driving resumes and compression stockings gone! :dancy::yay::happydance:

I wonder how surgeons base their restrictions. I had surgery the same day and was cleared to drive 12 days post op. I was not on narcotics, so that may have played a part. Most nights are fine but now and then there is one that is NOT! Two forward one backward..
My feet are tired today.. Like you I started walking alot.. 8000 steps today. I am afraid to go to bed!!

@Dolphin777 You are making progress! It's true about the two steps forward and 1 step back. It's a lot of patience and ice, isn't it?
I've found that if I was energetic and did too much that having a hot shower and early bedtime, followed by a quieter day seemed to keep me feeling pretty good.
Keep up the good work and good luck at your 6 weeks check up with your OS. :flwrysmile:

I had surgery the same day and was cleared to drive 12 days post op.

Wow! I'm impressed that you were driving 12 days post op. Most things I've read all state 3-5 weeks, but as you asked, "How do surgeons base their restrictions." Obviously, they're all a bit different. My surgeon told me to wait a month. At 12 days, I wouldn't have been able to lift my foot from gas to brake in a smooth, safe manner. Now I've got 21 days, and I can't believe how much better I am. Marching, marching, marching... soon back in my car. Can't wait!

My hip feels less full and finally starting to feel it belongs to me again.
I can relate. Great to know our hip didn't permanently abandon us! :)

sweet dreams...:sleep:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the driving rules are different here in the Uk. It seems fairly standard that the DVLA ask for 6 weeks although if the surgeon clears you before then that’s ok I believe. It also depends on whether you drive an automatic or manual and which leg was operated on. Mine is right leg , posterior surgery and I drive a manual car so probably I have the most restrictions! And a lot of surgeons here on NHS don’t see you until 6 weeks post op so you have to wait until then.

Last edited:
Mine is right leg

Yes, and because you folks drive on the left side of the road, it makes sense you can drive a bit earlier because you had a Right THR. Sad face me, I have to wait because we drive on the right side of the road and I had a Right THR. In other words, your cars are made backwards! lol Maybe I should move to UK! Have a great one.

Last edited:
Hi Dolphin. I had to wait 7 weeks before I could see the surgeon and was only cleared to drive then.. I had posterior too. Think about putting a small cushion or foam between your hip and the seatbelt as it stops rubbing on the scar! The number of steps you are walking is fantastic but don't give up on the ice - I found it really helped at the end of a working day to put my foot up for an hour and ice…

I had surgery the same day and was cleared to drive 12 days post op. I was not on narcotics, so that may have played a part.

Pre-op, a nurse on my OS's care team told me the only requirement to be released to drive was that you're no longer on heavy narcotics. She even went as far to say some drive themselves to their first post op appt.
I found that a bit ambitious since I wanted to see my surgeon before driving post op. A verbal over the phone would not suffice for me, but we're all different.

I was released to drive (Right Hip / Posterior) at my first post op appt at three weeks. However, I didn't drive for another week because I didn't have the confidence and was hanging around the house more in those days. I felt totally comfortably at 4 weeks practicing a quick stop in the neighborhood before hitting traffic on the busy roads. This is one more area of recovery where the protocol varies widely from OS to OS.

To me, those TEDS are more torture than not driving. Hated those nasty stockings.
You'll be there soon. You're doing great!
@Dolphin777

Last edited:
In other words, your cars are made backwards!
I’ve spent a lot of time driving on the left side of the road in various countries and actually the pedals are in the same position as here in the States. It’s just the steering wheel and shifter that are switched. So a right hip replacement would cause the same problem in the U.K. as here.

With my right hip replacement I was told that as long I was off narcotics and I felt capable I could drive again.

I was released to drive (Right Hip / Posterior) at my first post op appt at three weeks. However, I didn't drive for another week because I didn't have the confidence and was hanging around the house more in those days. I felt totally comfortably at 4 weeks practicing a quick stop in the neighborhood before hitting traffic on the busy roads.

Layla, spot on! Thanks so much for posting your experience...we're all individuals. I like that you said you didn't feel confident and that you practced quick-stopping. Great foresight and wisdom, IMO. I practice from a chair at home to see if how it feels to lift my leg from gas to brake and back again. I thought I was ready when practicing standing up and thought to myself, "I'm ready!" But when I sat down, as I would be in my car, I couldn't do it without some pain and slow reaction time. We aren't the only ones who would be impacted if we're on the road too soon. We could put other lives at jeopardy. Thanks again!

Have a great day...

Last edited by a moderator:
I too practiced quick stopping. We live on a mile of dirt road with no houses. Easy to practice. And I have not yet tried city driving.. Quick stopping is a skill I needed as someone pulled out of their driveway without looking. And w It's a hazard where we assume no one is coming; wildlife is also abounding and deer pay no heed. We have little traffic and very very few traffic lights. Our nearest city Portland has some heavy traffic but stop and go is unheard of.( it is a tenth the size of Portland OR)

I am not sure why standard would be more of an issue.. I drive standard and the left leg just does the clutch. The right ( the op) leg has to transition cleanly between brake and accelerator.

Again its all about how YOU feel. Not me.

Hello @Dolphin777 I'm wondering how you are doing with your recovery? I think you are right around 8 weeks post op now? If you have a moment, it would be great to hear how it's going.

I imagine you are doing great, you were already on your way several weeks ago! :flwrysmile:

Hello
Yes I have been meaning to update for a while now! I’m doing really well. I saw the surgeon at 6 weeks and was cleared to drive and return to work. He said I was doing extremely well and way ahead of many of his patients however cautioned me to be careful and remember that I am recovering from major surgery!
I am walking unaided with a very tiny limp when tired. I walk several miles a week but do take a stick on those walks. I do believe that walking has been the key for me. I rarely take painkillers now :dancy:
I went to a physio class this week and she has increased my exercise programme.
Working again is great but I do get more tired than usual and my hip gets a bit stiff. I am still very aware of my hip and hope one day to stop thinking about it! It’s still a little swollen and tight but I try and ice in the evening. Always a bit stiff in the mornings.
I can now sleep on either side but op side is still sore. But sleep is so much better now than in those early days. I do massage the scar daily with bio oil and it looks so much better now even though it’s 8.5 inches long!
I am feeling much happier about the whole thing and the arthritic pain has gone. It’s not been an easy ride but am glad that I am through the other side. Still scared of doing something to mess it up but my X-ray at 6 weeks was great and nothing has moved. I’m not seeing the surgeon again for 1 year!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back