THR 2 Years out, still a lot of pain - anyone else?

Gigi's Mom

Country
United States United States
I'm not sure what the issue is, but since my THR (Anterior, 3/17) nearly every thing below the waist is painful. My quads and IT band area on the surgical side have been sore 24/7 since surgery. The sensation is as though I've got tons of lactic acid built up in the muscle. Makes me nuts. Bursitis developed on both sides and is about to send me out of my mind. And if these weren't enough, both SI joints seem to be throwing themselves out of whack all the time. So the entire pelvic region, all round the back and sides is killing me. Has anyone else had this sort of experience?

I was quite diligent about PT post-op and my OS was thrilled with my recovery and progress. And while walking about is a mostly pain-free experience, I cannot lie down without a great deal of pain. No surprise that I am not able to sleep without quite a bit of pain. OTC meds aren't really doing the trick. I use ice and TENS, too, to almost no avail. Cortisone injection for bursitis only minimally helpful. If anyone else has been through something like this and knows the way out, please give a shout. I'm working with a new OS, and maybe we'll get to the bottom of it, but I figured I'd check here in case I can help point us in the right direction.

Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.
I'm sorry you're struggling with issues at two and a half years post op.
Sadly I don't have anything to offer, but possibly others will stop by and weigh in.
It's good to read you'll be working with a new OS in an effort to determine a diagnosis. I hope you receive answers soon...leading to relief.
Best wishes!
@Gigi's Mom

@Gigi's Mom Welcome to BoneSmart? Do you have lower back issues. My first THR aggravated my lower back and my SI joints were totally locked. I worked with an osteopath who made gentle adjustments and then did acupuncture. Or if you have a good chiropractor that would also help.

Can you please clarify your surgery date for me so we can get your signature corrected? Was your hip replacment March 17, 2019? Or was in March of 2017?

Hi Gigi’s Mom, I cant give you any answers I wish I could, all I can say is “ me too”.
I’m 15 months post op I too have back pain,pain in left hip,and pain in the operated hip. It’s in the buttock,and a lump on my side and so sore,and when I walk,(hobble) or raise my knee pain I get pain in my groin. I’ve been ok and doing well up to now,have been planning to have a shoulder replacement buy that’s on hold for now.
Hopefully you and the new OS will get to the bottom of this the sooner the better. I take Tramadol and cocodamol,they don’t help either,I take Arcoxia too. Seems like your pain meds aren’t helping either.
I use a TENs as well.
I do hope you can get answers and treatment for your pains. x

I can relate to chronic pain after a surgery we think will help us. It can be quite maddening to say the least. With my TKR eight years ago, I developed RSD, or what is now called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS). It can happen to a few, not many people. Genetically, our family does seem to have hyper-sensitive immune systems which can exaggerate assaults to the body, such as surgery. It's not known exactly what causes it but it doesn't matter. It still sucks. I'm not saying that's what you have, only that surgeries can sometimes cause other problems. Perhaps low back issues are now coming forward which will affect the hips, glutes, leg, upper and lower, and feet. I do hope that your OS will be super attentive to investigating the cause. Hang in there!!!

[HASH=18]#crps[/HASH]

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you please clarify your surgery date for me so we can get your signature corrected? Was your hip replacment March 17, 2019? Or was in March of 2017?
March of 2017

I'm not sure what the issue is, but since my THR (Anterior, 3/17) nearly every thing below the waist is painful. My quads and IT band area on the surgical side have been sore 24/7 since surgery. The sensation is as though I've got tons of lactic acid built up in the muscle. Makes me nuts. Bursitis developed on both sides and is about to send me out of my mind. And if these weren't enough, both SI joints seem to be throwing themselves out of whack all the time. So the entire pelvic region, all round the back and sides is killing me. Has anyone else had this sort of experience?

I was quite diligent about PT post-op and my OS was thrilled with my recovery and progress. And while walking about is a mostly pain-free experience, I cannot lie down without a great deal of pain. No surprise that I am not able to sleep without quite a bit of pain. OTC meds aren't really doing the trick. I use ice and TENS, too, to almost no avail. Cortisone injection for bursitis only minimally helpful. If anyone else has been through something like this and knows the way out, please give a shout. I'm working with a new OS, and maybe we'll get to the bottom of it, but I figured I'd check here in case I can help point us in the right direction.
UPDATE: It has since been suggested to me by another OS that the pain in the quads and IT band area is likely to be caused by the very tip of the stem of the implant touching the wall of the bone. He explained that this produces 'cortical stress' and that leg pain was a frequent concomitant. The only question now is whether the pain is bad enough to remove the implant and try again. But the good news is that the likely cause has been identified.

You might want to get another opinion or two from revision surgeons. If the tip of the stem is rubbing against bone, it's likely that the situation will worsen and require revision. You want to be sure this is what's going on.

I'm sorry you've never felt quite right mentioning you've had pain 24/7 since surgery. If you shared this with your OS, I can't understand why he was thrilled with your progress and recovery. I hope with your longsuffering you take Jamie's advice to seek another opinion, or two, before proceeding with a revision, also researching the best you can find within the distance you're willing to travel. Please keep us posted, we're here for support.
Wishing you comfort and answers...
@Gigi's Mom

I agree with all of the suggestions to get another opinion (or two if the opinions vary to get 2 out of 3). Having an answer would certainly be reassuring, even if it meant another surgery on the horizon in order to get rid of the pain.

I also know that my surgeon cautioned me that since I knew I had some back issues that were not repaired during my previous back surgery, it was possible that even after my hip surgery was done, I would still have pain remaining. He noted that many of the issues would be resolved by the hip replacement, but perhaps not all, as it is possible to have concurrent issues. My hip replacement did correct almost all of the debilitating pain, but I still do have some back pain at times, and it can flare up if I do things that impact my lower back. Like before, it is manageable, and nothing like the hip pain. So if the stem proves not to be the issue, you might look into an MRI of your back in order to rule out something that could be corrected if your back is causing your pain. You must be so very overwhelmed and frustrated.....:console2:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562