THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

1 stone is equal to 14lbs or approx 6.5kg. I have quite a few more to lose and am targeting January 2020 to get 2/3 towards my target of dropping 2 dress sizes.... being a thrifty soul I will need a good dressmaker to take stuff in. At least that is the plan!

Still awaiting the test results but hopefully no news is good news.

I have found another neighbour who wants to go swimming with me so a nice little group forming. Went to another neighbours house last night for a curry party and it was delicious. Spent most of the time with my neighbours mother aged 81 who had had a hip op just 6 months ago. She put me to shame. Amazing lady, her memory was rather short term but she blossomed once we started talking about old films and her crush on Lesley Howard.... she was amazed that I had seen every film she mentioned. Bless!

Groin pain in hip has calmed down considerably as no swimming last week so wondering what I am doing to cause it?

Hmm. Interesting you see a connection now you've stopped a few days. Im sure swimming has been a key component of your FANTASTIC weight loss :yes!:. Maybe a brush up on form with an instructor with a beady eye on your torso twisting and kicking technique? I'm thinking of joining a gym specifically for their pool as a part of my recovery therapy. I hope your groin pain resolves soon and those other niggling health issues are put to bed. Keep up the great weight loss work. Doesn't it feel grand?!:flwrysmile:

Remember, @SurreyGirl, slow and steady is going to win this race! Glad that groin pain has eased up from no swimming, but perhaps you can resume but not swim so often or as long? I think the whole recovery process is this lurching back and forth process as we test out what works and what doesn't, continuing to have faith that we'll get there eventually, although never as quickly as we'd like. And do keep reminding yourself about how far you've come--limping and crutches last year at this time, and now summer fiesta parties and excruciating karaoke! Sounds like you had fun, a good weekend, hurray!

Wishing my dear friend "Devon Girl"…a good recovery. She had her hip operation yesterday. Doesn't sound like they were too bright about her pain management either, although the nurses were very reactive in a positive way. She is up and walking on her walker already and seems to be quite optimistic so delighted for her! Her scar is a similar size to mine… Hoping she will be up for a visit from me during the BH weekend… I admire anyone who goes through this process..

btw, I have started sleeping with a pillow between my legs and this has eased the early morning back pain somewhat so still a learning curve for me! I need to get back to walking more..

Last edited:
Hi Surreygirl, long time no speak.
Just catching up on your thread. Sorry to hear that you needed a biopsy done but hopefully it was nothing to worry too much about.
You are doing great with your weight loss. I am trying hard but have just eaten a bar of chocolate whilst I was out shopping :-(
I do wish we had a swimming pool nearer to home. Yours looks lovely. I will have to content myself with the gym which isn't far away. The owners are lovely and specalise in rehab work so there are other people there in a similar position to me.
One of the trainers told me yesterday that my body is changing shape so despite not loosing much weight something seems to be going in the right direction.
I am getting on well although my replacement knee isnt happy if I stand too much as it gets stiff. I do feel that things are improving daily though so can't complain.
Best wishes to you

Hi Bionic! And to you :) It is lovely to still be in touch with people I "met" this time last year.. Joining the country club was a bit expensive but I am using it quite a bit and really like it.. I must actually join some classes as well at some point. Looking at the dance ones but sadly most run during the day when I can't get there…

PS re the biopsy. the NHS were quick enough to get me in re the possible issue, but I called re my results today and am STILL waiting for a letter from the Consultant. No information can be given over the phone. Nothing further can be done until I get that. Hoping "no news is good news!" It is possible that the Consultant is on holiday.. Anyway can't afford to spend time worrying about that…

You're right about not spending time worrying. Easier said than done but it won't change an outcome no matter if it's positive, or negative. And I would assume that no news is good news. I can't believe if there was an unfavorable outcome they could wait this long to notify you and advise.
I'll bet it's all good! :happydance: I hope you're having a lovely Thursday!
@SurreyGirl

Thanks @Layla .... you are right of course. Starting to prepare for the bank holiday weekend and hoping to get a swim in the sea although it will be much colder than I am used to. Brrrgh! Taking Tuesday off to avoid the traffic in the way back and have a proper relax.

Weight loss has stalled which is annoying as doing no different. Will give myself a sabbatical over the holiday weekend and then start in earnest again on Tuesday.

Happy weekend everyone.

I wish I had bank holiday....:bored:
Labor day weekend is up for us next weekend however.
Have a great break @SurreyGirl :) :-) (:

Last edited:
Hi, @SurreyGirl, hoping that the biopsy report shows up soon--I am sure it is frustrating to "hurry up and wait" for results. But worrying about it won't make the results arrive early so I hope you just put that in the back of your mind and concentrate on having a lovely bank holiday and enjoying your time off. Swimming in cold sea water doesn't sound appealing to me, but the time off otherwise is something I'd enjoy. And smart to put dieting on hold for the weekend, and then come roaring back when you return to "real life". Nothing sours a vacation quite like passing on dessert while everyone else is having something yummy! I'm all for self-discipline, but in moderation!

Swimming in the sea....something I never say....not living near a sea. :) But I hope you enjoy.
I live in the Land of 10,000 Lakes, so we're told. Not fond of swimming in a bodies of water where I can't see my feet though. :swim: I hope you have a great weekend swimming, splurging and doing whatever else makes you happy!
@SurreyGirl

Just got back from the BH break. No results yet. Will chase again next week.

Back to hip. I gave “Hermione” quite a challenge. The beach was a beautiful stretch of Jurassic coastline with a walk down from the cliff via large steps and then a steeply shelving beach with large pebbles and then a slope into the sea.

I took my Leki and carefully picked my way across the stones. I was wearing beach shoes but could still feel the pebbles. The first attempt I was terrified. Especially the final slope on fine gravelly stones unto the sea. Once in I was fine. The water was COLD! Getting out was hard work too as was getting into a position so I could get into the warm pebbles and lie down. I had to half kneel and half twist to do it. Getting up was from a kneeling position raising up and marching legs from a plank position forward until I could rise up straightening my legs. I got the hang of it. I was exhausted afterward and then had the long slog back up the cliff. Got some pain but paracetemol sorted it.

The next day I tried again and this time it was easier. I am now aware the the leg is stable and half of this reticence is my fear of falling. But the Leki helped considerably. So a small adventure. I think I had more pain from the rather soft bed in the B and B as was hobbling a bit in the morning until I could get my back straight!

Glad to read you had a wonderful bank holiday, @SurreyGirl and I chuckled at your description of getting out of the water--that's what I do as well! Once on the ground (can't imagine venturing into COLD water like you did!) I sort of twist over onto my stomach and then do a crouched version of a downward dog, walking my feet towards my hand and then, less than elegantly and with a bit of grunting, pulling my stomach in and rising up to standing! Woo, hoo! It does feel good, doesn't it? Back to the work salt mines today? Hope the day goes smoothly and quickly, and you're home with feet propped up and a nice glass of whatever in your hand.

Good Evening @SurreyGirl
How could you possibly receive bad news after all this time? That just couldn't be, doesn't even seem right they could do that!

My goodness, what a workout you got in an effort to get into the water and back, but I'd imagine a great feeling of accomplishment and a good tired. I think we all have a fear of falling after joint replacement. While we can't live in fear, it's difficult to lose sight of the possible consequences of a bad spill.
Here's to staying on our feet!

DFE1A724-CD8A-41D5-BFCB-24A458417739.jpeg

Here is the scene of the "adventure".. The stones are really big and reflective so very easy to get sunburn (which I did)! But lovely to be in the sea and swimming.. Hip not too bad today - had a 5 hour journey back home so wore stockings which helped..

Last edited:
Oh, what a beautiful site, @SurreyGirl I can definitely imagine you slowly strolling on that beach with the sunshine and smell of salt water in the breeze. A very nice location for your bank holiday although a five hour journey home sounds truly exhausting.

Hmmm. Have had more pain over the last two days than the last two months so back in paracetamol and have stopped all activity and I ice when I get home from work . The long car journey and soft bed at the B and B probably didn’t help.

. @Mojo333 you said you were still healing after a year pre-op. Did you find that you aggravated things with “normal” activities? Just a tad frustrating and my right hip starting to moan a bit at me when walking :-( hope that is not going to go on me!

I would say yes, normal, but most often when I did a certain movement that hadnt been needed before, or normal activity done with more frequency or intensity. Just complaints....soreness vs pain really.
If righty isnt behaving, lefty could be taking more of the load.

Oh, no, @SurreyGirl --say it isn't so! Pain in right hip now? When they did x-rays before, did they indicate both hips were a problem or just the left? I know my initial x-rays showed severe osteoarthritis in my right hip and only moderate mostly in my left. But, within 6 months of first hip replacement the left one started kicking up, and reading many forum posts I think this might unfortunately be something that happens to a lot of folks. Do keep an eye on this, and good for you for ceasing all activities, and back to using ice and meds a bit. Let's just hope that @Mojo333 is right, and it's just that your right hip is having to work harder, and not a real problem going forward. Hang in there, and take it easy.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson