Time to recover.

Welcome to the forum. Great to be asking the question you're asking.

You're the patient, and if you don't feel ready at the time the second surgery is scheduled (you don't feel recovered enough from your first surgery), you simply tell that to your surgeon's staff ... You'l be priority at that point and can probably get an appointment a month later or two months later if you want.

Hi Going4fun, I honestly hope I will be ready and have my second THR sooner than later. I was so active till last September.... completed few marathons; did crossfit and felt wonderful.
Looking back, I now see my body sent me numerous warning signs but I ignored them, thinking this are aches and pains from crossfit exercises and never even dreamt of having severe OA.

@RinTinTin most of us miss the signs ... or conclude that the pain is transient ... or that PT will help and so on ... When I first got diagnosed I was so confused and lost ... how did this happen? ... took me a bit ... to think back to the fact that my mother, pretty much as long as I knew her, had a bad hip. I probably inherited dysplasia, which is when the hip ball doesn't line up well with the acetabulum.

Here's to you returning to your activities. You're highly athletic ... and sometimes if that's the case, then the real challenge is allowing yourself to recover. I pushed myself into exercising early on ... and had to back off multiple times ... My own personal tip for you--generally this board does not recommend PT immediately after surgery, and I think that's right--but for some really athletic people ... I think the time to go to PT, if at all, is sorta like I did. I went to PT six months after surgery ... there had been lots of soft tissue healing by then. I wasn't in such danger of setting myself back (which can be the problem with early PT) ... and my therapist noticed all kinds of ways I was weak ... that would interfere with the dancing and running and weight lifting I like to do.

Even then we had to go slow.

Good luck.

@RinTinTin most of us miss the signs ... or conclude that the pain is transient ... or that PT will help and so on ... When I first got diagnosed I was so confused and lost ... how did this happen? ... took me a bit ... to think back to the fact that my mother, pretty much as long as I knew her, had a bad hip. I probably inherited dysplasia, which is when the hip ball doesn't line up well with the acetabulum.

Same here... I was stunned... couldn't believe I was told I have severe OA and heading for THR. On of the first question was if the OA ran in the family.
I could not tell. My parents are long gone and I could not remember any of them ever complaining. So little did I know about OA.

Here's to you returning to your activities. You're highly athletic ... and sometimes if that's the case, then the real challenge is allowing yourself to recover. I pushed myself into exercising early on ... and had to back off multiple times ... My own personal tip for you--generally this board does not recommend PT immediately after surgery, and I think that's right--but for some really athletic people ... I think the time to go to PT, if at all, is sorta like I did. I went to PT six months after surgery ... there had been lots of soft tissue healing by then. I wasn't in such danger of setting myself back (which can be the problem with early PT) ... and my therapist noticed all kinds of ways I was weak ... that would interfere with the dancing and running and weight lifting I like to do.

Even then we had to go slow.

Good luck.

Yes, I already promised myself I will take it easy and listen to my body. I did so many mistakes running and doing crossfit as I never listened to warning signs. :(

I'm approximately 11 weeks out. IF I needed my other hip doing, I would be fine to consider having the second op at this point. You'll be back on a walker or 2 crutches anyway, so to me strength of first hip isn't that critical in first few weeks. (Bilaterals like mojo can attest that it's possible) Go for it! Get rid of the nasty arthritis pain and get on with your life. :egypdance:

I also had spinal with sedation and although I was petrified at the thought of a long needle in my spine, it was a total breeze. :thumb:

Thanks for your words of encouragement Calgal...
I really want my life back...
How id the strength of your hip now... after 11 weeks?

Im going up stairs normally (not toddler style) now. I walk really well without a limp if I use 1 crutch or 'counter surf'. I've still got a bit of a limp if I don't use the crutch but it's less every day. I'm a bit stiff on rising from sitting but walk smoother once I get going.ive been driving since week 6, probably could have done it a week earlier but I've got a manual transmission car and an ex policeman hubby so he was uber cautious I could do emergency stops etc. I've got NO hip pain (none since op!) Just some muscle soreness on front thigh. This too is going away with walking and some light stretches. All is good!

No lie, the first two weeks are really rough. But even at 4 to 6 weeks out it seems to turn around quickly. My only strong advice is don't be too manly and try to do too much too soon. :bignono:Many here (often the guys but we're all susceptible) try to do too much before the soft tissues heal and get tendonitis and other issues that set your recovery back weeks, so you've really gotta be patient at first and just go slow and steady. :ok:

Happy to hear you are recovering pretty well!
I am so looking forward for the OA pain to go away.
Thanks for your advice to not to try to do too much too soon. I was very active before the OA got me and was always overdoing.
The doc said my activity did not cause the OA but didn't help either :)
I learned my lesson ( I hope) :)

I am so looking forward for the OA pain to go away.
It is simply amazing.
Yes, there is post op discomfort...but that bone crunching never ending sleep depriving horrid OA pain is GONE.
I agree that your patience muscle will be the one you will need to engage most...a slow steady recovery will get you there quicker.
Not too much longer.

It is simply amazing.
Yes, there is post op discomfort...but that bone crunching never ending sleep depriving horrid OA pain is GONE.

Sleep? what is that? :)
I honestly don't remember when I last slept... it's not existing! I take naps... and wake up as soon my body feels the need to move... and moving is painful. I spend considerable time sitting in my bed, waiting for the next opportunity to take a nap...
I know almost all of us are the same. :(

Hello @RinTinTin - love your name! I see you are due for surgery in September.. now it's just the blasted waiting game, isn't it?
Are you icing now? I found that icing copiously took some of the joint swelling and inflammation down to a dull roar, enough so that some days I could actually pretend I really didn't need a THR... well for a short amount of time..:loll:
Your athletic body will serve you well in recovery. This too shall pass. And now you have us bone smarties to root you on!

Hello @RinTinTin
Your athletic body will serve you well in recovery. This too shall pass. And now you have us bone smarties to root you on!

Would love to think I am athletic... but I am far from what I used to be.
My body has been sending me warning signs for years but I always thought it was from overuse... I never suspected OA!.
My visits to the gym became lest frequent in 2017 and 2018... dropped from almost daily workouts to once a week workout... and since the OA diagnosis in Sep of 2018 a stopped completely... not because I didn't want to go but because I simply could not do anything.
It's been a year now since I turned into couch potato... using to canes to walk (sometimes a walker if I need to stay out for longer period of time).

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    344 bytes · Views: 108
hahah.. well your muscles have memory and the groundwork/foundation is there. They will reward you when you're able to resume. Our bodies are amazing and if we treat them with respect they'll respond.
Someone on here likes to say that it's a marathon, not a sprint and I think you will relate well to that.

Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.
I don't think you'll regret the timeline you've scheduled for your surgeries. It will roll into one long recovery, but you'll be done. I think you'll be feeling considerably well by the holidays and 2020 will be your year!
Will look forward to following your journey.
Wishing you comfort and a pleasant weekend!
@RinTinTin

Last edited:
Full recovery takes up to a year. Even longer for some. But you increasingly feel better and stronger. I was amazed at how great I felt at one month post op. Still had a long way to go but losing the pain makes a huge difference in attitude and outlook. Best advice is to gauge your progress weekly when you're in recovery. Reflecting back over the past week, only once a week. If you look at progress daily you can become miserably disappointed in the early days and weeks. I would guess by June you'll be feeling remarkably well with still some healing to happen. I'm excited for you and your new life! :happydance:
@RinTinTin

do you think it is realistic to expect recovery by late Spring, early Summer next year
Well it's a great goal but unfortunately no one can predict. It all depends on how you react to the procedure and how long you have limped around pre-op.

You will certainly be enjoying some nice walks in the sun by that time frame.

I don't know about hips but after knee I was in the gym at three months building strength and bike riding 15 miles a day.. Then a year later the hip started to go.. But I have hope as I near the op date and still dont limp.. Sometimes I need a cane to stutter step and get going the first two or three steps.. Getting up is my biggie ache.

So I may be an overacheiver again. ( I was out of the house going to dinner at two weeks post TKR and on long trips at four weeks. But every op can be different even on the same leg)

All we can do is hope. I am in a bit of a hurry as I am getting old..

If you look at progress daily you can become miserably disappointed in the early days and weeks. I would guess by June you'll be feeling remarkably well with still some healing to happen. I'm excited for you and your new life! :happydance:

I guess you are right Layla... I will try to follow your advice.
:)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member