Revision THR 'Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning - Broke hip 5 weeks after replacement'

Second hip is just different than first for me, @Sparkly Seems like I was more uncomfortable the first week the second time around, and had a major weeping meltdown on day 4. But I also used the walker and then walking poles the first time, and this time, despite it hurting more (which may be subjective as hip recovery is like childbirth and you're not exactly clear on how it went after the fact) I felt more secure and steady and after a few days on the walker (which I hated, by the way) I found myself walking slowly but confidently sans any assistive aid.

No two hip recoveries are alike @Sparkly even with the same person.
And weepiness happens. Take a look at the Post Op Blues article below in case you haven't made it through the Recovery Guidelines yet. I know it took me a couple weeks to absorb anything I was reading and after two tries I'd just give up! :hairpulling:
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/

Make sure you're staying adequately hydrated and take in some protein daily if you're able. Very important for healing. It will help repair muscle damage by regenerating tissue and speed up wind healing. Please be careful if you're feeling lightheaded. I hope you're not alone.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful Sunday!

Ok ladies, who is itchy around the incision site? Day 6 and my bandaid thingy is still on. Looks gross huh? can’t wait for it to come off this week.

Attachments

• 81C04A32-880A-41E0-8615-3266F1389F36.jpeg
    81C04A32-880A-41E0-8615-3266F1389F36.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 277
A little itchy around the stitchy? It's normal but don't scratch! It can introduce the bad guys leading to an infection. See if icing helps, or at the very least serves as a distraction.
@Sparkly

Oh yeah ice helps. My daughter was going to visit today with her bf but told me she thinks she has ringworm. Had her send pic and yes she does, I told her no visit now boohoo. Was looking forward to her coming. Ah well better than catching ringworm.

That's too bad she can't stop by for a visit, however better safe than sorry. If anyone thinks they've got the sniffles they need to stay away for a time. My folks have a standing order, "think you're getting a cold, stay away!" Have a good day with your ice, I know I will! :ice:

One week today. 4.30 am woke at 3.30 went to the loo. Lying here in agony. Have taken meds waiting for them to kick in. Pain in the front of my groin going down my thigh and in my butt by incision. I really am disillusioned about my recovery. Very emotional and cranky sometimes. I have pt coming today, which I’m glad maybe they can reassure me and help me move along in recovery. I don’t know if it’s because I was so debilitated before surgery that it’s going to take longer? Literally on the bed for weeks hobbling to the loo was about it, maybe I don’t have the fight in me I used to have. Tried walking with the cane yesterday a bit in the house and it was like I walked before surgery. Hobbling, limping. Would appreciate your stories. I feel like such a whimp.

Don't be so hard on yourself @Sparkly ! You are only one week post op and pain in all kinds of places is all completely normal right now. You have been through major surgery and it hurts! At this stage, I was still using two crutches all the time and hadn't even attempted anything else!
We hear all these stories about miracle cures and it comes as a real shock when our recovery isn't so simple. Quite honestly, I have found it hard work - a huge rollercoaster of a journey! But I have no regrets - at 8 weeks post op, I still have a long way to go, but I am feeling better every day . I too was in a bad way before surgery and already I am back to doing the things I tried to do before - WITHOUT THAT ARTHRITIS PAIN!
Do make sure that your pain is well managed. You need to work out a schedule which means that you don't need to wait for the meds to kick in.
Patience is the key here. Don't try to rush things and be kind to yourself! It WILL get better! :console2:

Yes, to what @linette333 said. You are so early in this process, @Sparkly.

Get the pain stabilized with your meds and then a good day at this stage might be cranking out a bunch of ankle pumps in bed to keep the blood flowing, some heel slides if you’re feeling ambitious, and then maybe a little nap...or, better yet, a big nap!
Walk around a bit as you are doing. I was definitely not ready for a cane at one week and was switching between walker and two crutches. Would you feel less pain with walking if you used more support than the cane?

(Oh, and the all important “digestive tract management”. Keep that stuff flowing too.)

Morning @Sparkly. You poor thing sounds like you are having a rough time. You do need to either write down when to take your next pain meds or as I did set an alarm on your cell phone every 4hrs. You have got to stay ahead of that pain girl. It is a must this early along with constant ice. I know you have said you find the walker clumsy, however this early you do need to keep the weight of walking off that leg. A walker does that so much better than a cane. @Bergame mentioned two crutches, I didn't have crutches however that sounds like it could be an option for you. Please take it easy on yourself, all of this will get better I promise. My first two weeks were bad, I couldn't get into my bed at all. I slept in my recliner and my butt and neck got sore. I was by myself one morning and I got my walker knocked over trying to get up to pee, I wound up peeing my chair. My sister-in-law had gone home the evening before on my instructions that I'm fine. That was the morning after I almost passed out I told you about. Anyway I called her to come soon and save me and my chair. After that she stayed and slept in my bed for two weeks. It does get better, it just takes time and some of us takes longer. It's not a race to see how quickly you can do it. Actually it's your body that sets the pace and you follow. Do make sure to eat good proteins and fruits , veggies to keep those pipes cleared. I have a bran cereal every day to help. I give you a hug and a rub on your back. Stay close here, we're pulling for you we're all in this together. :console2:

Last edited:
Good morning :flwrysmile: @Sparkly you are sounding much more alert in your posts. I can just imagine how disappointed you were to have your visit with your daughter canceled. But now you have something to look forward to maybe next week.
Itching is the bane of my existence in general but having this surgery seems to have ramped it up several notches.
:gaah: I did as someone else advised and use ice packs for that too. You sound great! Keep up the good healing..

Thanks guys, I am on the pain meds round the clock, it had been five hours since the previous dosage as I had slept for two hours then fell back asleep for 3 so had been 5 hours between. I’m definitely sticking with the walker for stability. After yesterday know I am not ready for cane yet. I’ll be alone this week with very little help. Friend bringing lunch today. I’ll post again after pt has been here and update. How you all doing today?

Oh dear, I see I missed one important post by you. I'm so sorry you had a bad night, this is so very common, especially in the first couple of weeks. Are you taking your meds in a timely manner? I had a chart and, if needed, set the alarm to ensure I didn't miss a dose.
You most certainly are not a wimp. :console2:
Hopefully by now the meds have kicked in and you are resting and icing and enjoying something entertaining on t.v. Or better yet, you are still asleep!
Theres no set timetable for easing off of the walker/cane, etc Right now you need your walker so be sure to use it and try not to hate it. It's your friend. Ok, a clunky friend but it's there for you!

Here's a link with some info on the healing process, I hope this helps ease your mind..

Healing: how long does it take?

Please cut yourself some slack, Sparkly. The following quote says a lot -
I don’t know if it’s because I was so debilitated before surgery that it’s going to take longer? Literally on the bed for weeks hobbling to the loo was about it

It may take you longer because of this, but you will get there! It takes a lot of patience in these early days and you may need to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again...each day, for a time.
Gauge your progress by weeks, let's say each Monday, you look back over the past week. You will see progress that way. If you look at it daily, you'll disappoint yourself most likely. Chin up, it's a special day today...
Happy Two Week Anniversary! You're doing it! :yahoo:
@Sparkly

Hi all, well no pt today there was a mix up scheduled for tomorrow instead. Meanwhile I’ve been crying all day again and snapping at my poor husband. It finally dawned on me maybe it’s the oxycodone. I put a call in to my doctors office and left a message. See what they say. Anyone on here know about this?

I never heard of that kind of reaction to it, however that is a good question. I just get that fuzzy good feeling and nothing is a big deal, however every one is different glad to hear you called.

Everyone reacts differently to these drugs, so it is possible that you are affected like this. For example, others seem to tolerate Tramadol with no problems, whereas for me it has been a nightmare!
Plain and simple post op blues are a real thing too. Early days!
Our long-suffering husbands have a lot to put up with, don't they? :heehee:

Hi Sparkly,
I'm sorry you're feeling out of sorts. I'm not sure that mood swings are so much a side effect of the Oxy. I believe it's the after- effects of a major surgery that you're dealing with. The sleep deficit you most likely went into surgery with, the anesthesia, the broken or sleepless nights, the boredom, frustration, possibly constipation, and naturally the pain due to your leg being sliced open with muscle and soft tissue disturbed.

I'll leave the article on Post Op Blues from the Recovery Guidelines in case you haven't read through the articles yet. http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/
Try to hang in there. It will get better.
Wishing you comfort and peace.
@Sparkly

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom