THR Millie's recovery thread

millie4162

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
As promised an update on my surgery and recovery so far
I arrived at the hospital on Thursday 25th at 7*30 ready for my surgery.
The anethatist was ready and waiting for me.
Filled in all the paperwork and had a chat to him them the consultant arrived.
He told me both my hips and both my knees actually needed surgery but one job at a time.
Hi took a long time explaining everything to myself and my daughter depending on what he found when he got into my hip.
I was taken down at 8.30.
I woke up in recovery at 3pm. I had a general with a spinal block so had no pain.
I was taken to the ward at 5pm and given a lovely cuppa. The consultant came for a chat at 8pm. He said how I had managed he would never know and if I ever have pain again I must demand to see him. He was very sorry for my having to wait so long.
The surgery was very difficult. The implant had dropped into the femur as far as it possibly could. The femur was like a Swiss cheese with lots of holes where the implant had worn it away.
He had to put a long stem in and patch all the wholes up. He also stretched it by 2 inches. The cup was very firmly set so he didn’t need to touch it.
I got out of bed the same day. I was so excited as the pain had gone. I had bad muscle pain where they has stretched me but nothing like before.
Because it was a revision they now have a plan where you are on a very strong antibiotics until every possible thing has been tested to exclude any infection.
My all clear came last night so I was allowed home to start my recovery. I am so proud of myself for going through with the surgery. I am getting stronger every day.
Anyone waiting and worried please go ahead and give yourself your life back.

:hi: Great to hear you are already noticing a huge difference and after this post op discomfort subsides...can get on with a healthy happy life.
I am so proud of myself for going through with the surgery
You should be...:yes:

Anyone waiting and worried please go ahead and give yourself your life back.
Very inspiring...:happydance:onward and upward...:yes!:

What a wonderful report! I hope you remember that surgeon's words and insist to be seen,, that was so kind of him to tell you that. You have been through a lot and it's nice to read your report and see that you already feel relief. Take care and rest and ice.. be kind to yourself. You've earned it!!
You did it! :happydance::yay::flwrysmile:

@millie4162
You'll notice that I have moved your newest post and started your recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you have your own recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • With your own recovery thread, you will see the posts and advice others have left for you.
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Last edited:
Good Morning!
It sounds like you're doing well, Millie It's been a long road with Lefty. You're a trooper.
Thankfully you're feeling stronger every day. May it long continue.
Happy Thursday!
@millie4162

DEADD466-744B-44CA-98E5-8551707C9654.jpeg
DEADD466-744B-44CA-98E5-8551707C9654.jpeg 2weeks post op now. It’s going really quickly. Took the dressing off on Thursday as instructed. The wound is fully healed and just a line. I’m so impressed. Today I am a little sore. I think it could be the weather.
My baby kitten is 3 weeks old today and still doing well. She is still being bottle fed every 3 hours. Mummy cat still has a swelling in her tummy poor thing.

:hi:Hope all is well with you @millie4162
Continued healing hugs coming your way!:roseshwr:

Oh my stars! How sweet.:catdance:

Your little kitten is adorable! What is the story there? Is mum not well enough to care for her? Great job on the bottle feeding. That is not easy

:hi: Hi Millie and kitty!
Nice to hear from you. Thanks for updating, glad you're doing well. Two weeks already!
What an adorably sweet looking kitten. I'll bet you love snuggling with her.
Take it easy and stay in touch.
@millie4162

Sorry for not updating but I have been kept busy when not sleeping or practicing my walking.
Hope everybody is doing well.
Can’t believe it’s 4 weeks tomorrow since my surgery. This has been the easiest and best surgery of my 5 replacements. I am walking around the house without any support. I do still take care outside and use 1 or 2 crutches. All the swelling and pain have now subsided.
I am still a little stiff and I get very tiered. I am not sure if that is due to my hip or fibromyalgia.
Today is the 1st day I have been left on my own. My daughters are very protective of me.
My little kitten Nelly is doing so well. She is still bottle fed every 4 hours but is starting to eat so hopefully the bottle feeding will be coming to an end soon. The mummy cat Nancy still has a swelling in her belly but she is fine in herself. I am back to work on 2nd September so need to get the walking improved.
Px

:wave:Great to hear you are doing well.
Continued best wishes for healing
:catbutterfly:

Hi :hi:
Thanks for updating. It sounds as though you're doing well.
Rest up if you're tired and heading back to work in 12 days. With any luck you can ease back in, or hopefully you have some flexabilty with work. Going back at less than six weeks post op may be a bit ambitious. You'll have to let us know how it goes.
Wishing you all the best as you continue healing.
@millie4162

:hi: Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you and kitty are doing well.
A great week to you!
@millie4162

Please take care hippies. I slipped in my room on Thursday night and trying not to fall on my newest hip twisted and smashed my tibia and fibula. 7hours of surgery to repair and in in ICU now

I am so very sorry! That is awful.
Sending hugs and wishes for your comfort. I hope you're resting comfortably.
We're here for you, millie. :console2:
@millie4162

So sorry to hear that @millie4162, sending gentle, healing hugs your way. :console2:

I am so cross with myself. Was a very simple skip birthed damage I have done is massive. I will be non weight barring for about 12 weeks !!

Oh my stars @millie4162 :sad:
So sorry this happened.
Are you in a cast?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back