MUA Steelergal's Recovery Thread

These viral infections can be pretty persistent so please don't fret. All you have described have been experienced by 2 relatives, a friend and a couple of neighbours of mine of late.

Thanks Rockgirl4, Josephine, and FitGal! I appreciate the kind thoughts and helpful advice.

Today is a bit better. My doc gave me some anti nausea meds and I’ve been able to eat more today. I had my first PT visit and it was good. My therapist doesn’t believe in pushing hard, just helping with strength and recovery. I also had a slight reaction to the glue on my incision so now there’s one more thing to watch. I saw a PA today and she was very helpful and calming. So many weird things have happened with this surgery, I’m just hoping for an uneventful week 2!

I'm glad you are feeling a little better today. Sounds like you've had a rough go of it. Praying things keep getting better :wave:

I'm glad your doc gave you something to help with the nausea. It's so important to eat what you can in the early days of healing.

Hi @Steelergal we had our TKR the same day. I was interested to read how your journey had been so far. A lot happens in just over a week. Every day seems to bring a new trial. Pain relief has been a concern for me as well and my bruising is is continuing to get darker from my knee right down to the bottom of my foot.
It's great that you have a thoughtful therapist, I don't see mine to the first time until Friday and have know idea on how they are going to be. I just know that I will have to stand up for myself because some can be cruel.
Hoping that we both have more good days than bad from now on.

Glad you are feeling better :) Here's to an awesome Week #2! :wave:

Hang in there, hoping you are healing well!
I had really flamboyant bruising after my right TKR. It finally resorbed but there's still a little area of discoloration over my shin that continues to fade very very slowly.

Hi @Relle I hope you’re feeling ok! My bruising continues to be interesting...my leg is a kaleidoscope if colors! I have new painful spots each day as different parts of my knee “wake up” and numbness wears off. Good times. Haha. This week has definitely been better though. I have an appetite again and I’m up and around more.

@Josephine I’m glad I’m not the only one allergic to the glue. It’s less itchy but still red. I’m SO ready for that tape to come off! My PT got a bit more aggressive at my second appointment so I had to stop her. I’m not going to let them push hard or fast. I’m fine doing my ankle pumps and leg lifts (it actually feels good to work some muscles), but I don’t want to force the bending. That being said, it feels like my leg will never bend or be straight again. Any advice on exercises to help move that along?

I appreciate everyone’s support SO MUCH. This site has been such a lifesaver. I’m so impatient and you all help keep me calm and realize i just have to wait for some things to happen naturally. I’m just really tired of the walker and not having use of my hands! Haha.

Patience, grasshopper. :wink:

I'm totally freaked out to start PT! My OS has me starting PT at the two-week mark, so I start this coming Thursday. So much for the "Window of Opportunity" - glad it is a myth! Meanwhile, I am supposed to be doing ankle pumps, heel slides, leg lifts, quad holds/straightening exercise, and a few others. Heel slides are the worst and my range of motion is horrid!

Anyway, to put this all in perspective with regard to patience and 'bending', etc.....I had massive surgery on the knee when I was 16 - tore most of my soft tissue and meniscus. So, the knee was reconstructed and luckily no hardware implanted. After surgery, I was in a bent-leg cast from hip to ankle for almost three months. When the cast came off, I had no muscle at all in that leg and I could not bend or extend the leg....it was freakish. Needless to say, that was the end of my dreams of being a professional ballerina. The point is, it took six months to get the extension and flexion back in the leg - but it came back. Because of this, I know that our ROM will come back to us in the marathon of recovery and I am not in a rush, as I want this knee to last me for a VERY long time :)

Keep in mind:

It’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.

Hey @Steelergal I just noticed your profile says you're in NOVA. I'm in Alexandria! We're neighbors! lol

@Steelergal
Hints for carrying stuff with walker..... I found it to be irritating only at night. During the day it was a “multi-purpose workhorse ”

Buy large roll of Velcro. Tie a Home Depot cloth carpenters apron to the front. Place grocery bags in pockets.

Samples of use...with Velcro cut as needed.
Ice machine (Ossur) fits on walker Velcro’ed by handle on non-surgical side. Tubes go across front handle and are held with opposite hand to prevent tripping.
Grocery bag can be Velcro’ed to handle with food in plastic containers with lids.(lunch bag)
Laundry to fold can be carried in multiple grocery bags or a paper/plastic shopping bag Velcro’ed by handles to walker.
Little things-drink glasses with lid, mail, newspapers, silverware, etc fit in the Home Depot apron.
I could balance a 10 lb bag of ice across the front of the walker.... I used 50 bags during the process....

@Steelergal I went with Anderson Clinic. I had PT and OT last winter for something else, and I asked each of them who their recommendation was for knee replacements. They both gave me the same name, so I did that and I'm extremely pleased. They work out of the INOVA Mt Vernon hospital Joint Replacement Center, which both has an excellent reputation, but is also conveniently close to my house.

Well you’re still in the early days. Patience is a really hard part of it all. I’m so sorry to hear of all your bruising, kaleidoscope leg. Again, just hang in there through these tough days. Rest, ice, elevate, repeat!

I found tying a cloth grocery bag to my walker allowed me to carry things back to my chair...a snack, my water, food, etc. a lifesaver for me. I learned that trick in my prep class.

I still struggle with reading, not happening yet, but am able to watch tv and do puzzles and games now with grandsons. This confinement is a real struggle.

Hope things get better and better and better for you, Susie

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
shibbard
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom