Thoughts on Rehab Facility after Hospital Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's pretty good cover, Renee. I think you'll be just fine.

I also would not go to a rehab--but, I have a husband at home to help---at least a littel!!! However, I go right out to a pt center---I would never have home health, I don't think they have the kind of credentials that my pt has--he has a doctorate in pt.

So, my surgery is on thursday. I will go home Friday afternoon, then go to pt on Monday afternoon at 1 pm.

I do not use coumadan--I use Lovenox, so I don't have to have blood checks, but I could see having home health for that---although I would not do it if I had to pay for it.

For me, I enjoyed getting up and getting out of the house---I would have died if I had to spend a week IN the house. From the first day home, i walked outside for at least 15 minutes three times a day---it was so wonderful to be outside. I don't care how cold it is or if it is raining, I want to be outside.

But, all choices are yours---home health, pt facility, rehab facility, etc---time and money and help at home all play a part in any decision. Kelly

Kelly,
You only spent one night in the hospital?? My surgery is on a Monday. I was told I would be in there until Thursday possibly Friday since I have a history of blood clots.

But from what I read on here most people stay about 3 days. How do you get lucky? I don't like hospitals. For my pulmonary embolism I was in for 9 days. I begged every day to go home.

I rather think that with Kelly, the hospital didn't have much say in the matter!
She takes no prisoners! :hehe:

I think that I must have said it wrong. I go into the hospital on a Monday and stay till thursday. then it isdecided if i go to a rehab facility. which now i am not sure if my insurance will pay for. But i am sure going to find out if it will or not.

I was just wondering if anybody had any thoughts or what thier experiences were. Like how long somebody stays in rehab is it just a few days? or a long time?

I had BTKR and stayed in the hospital for a day and a half after surgery. I was moved to a rehab hospital directly behind the hospital where I had surgery. I had general anesthesia, and a femoral nerve block in each leg. I did not get out of bed until I reached the rehab hospital. I stayed there for 5.5 days. When I went home I could walk without crutches in the house, and used crutches for walking outside on uneven ground and doing stairs for about 3 weeks. I had a Home Health Agency PT come to my home 2-3 times/week for a month. The PT person also removed my staples and kept in touch with my OS. My OS sent most with BTKR to the rehab hospital.
The down side to the rehab hospital is it is not a restful place as there are so many bed alarms and wheel chair alarms ringing all hours of the day and night, to say nothing of the door buzzers when a patient needs something....
I am now almost 2 years out in June, and am thrilled I had the surgery. I skied all ski season and have been enjoying life. Whatever is in your best interest and comfortable for you, I would do. Good Luck to you!

My rehab unit was fairly quiet at night. They made it so people could rest, but bed time was early. If I had to do it over, I'd go again. It was about the only thing other than surgery my insurance covered, and it was covered after my 10K deductible. Food was awful though. No way I could have walked on terrain with bilats being home. I walked around in the garage.

I hated the hospital--the nurses were not nice and my pain was a level 10. I left, went home where my husband helped me with my pain meds and within four hours i was comfortable. I was walking around an hour after getting back to my room---not really sure why i was in the hospital.

with my April surgery, i begged for it to be outpatient, but my doc said that most complications happen within the first 48 hours. he wants me to stay two days this time---the head nurse called me and told me that they would take better care of my pain this time. I am not sure that i really believe her but my husband has heart disease, it would be better for him if I could stay two days.

But Jone, remember----THEY will not decide on thursday if you go to rehab, YOU will decide after you hear the doctor's recommendation. All decisions are yours---your doctor can recommend something---but all the decisions are YOURs. Kelly

But Jone, remember----THEY will not decide on thursday if you go to rehab, YOU will decide after you hear the doctor's recommendation. All decisions are yours---your doctor can recommend something---but all the decisions are YOURs. Kelly

Absolutely, Kelly!

I hated the hospital--the nurses were not nice and my pain was a level 10. I left, went home where my husband helped me with my pain meds and within four hours i was comfortable. I was walking around an hour after getting back to my room---not really sure why i was in the hospital.

with my April surgery, i begged for it to be outpatient, but my doc said that most complications happen within the first 48 hours. he wants me to stay two days this time---the head nurse called me and told me that they would take better care of my pain this time. I am not sure that i really believe her but my husband has heart disease, it would be better for him if I could stay two days.

I will hope your pain will be minimal and that you will be taken care of properly...
Yes it is my decision... I will keep telling myself that..
Joni

Joni, love your avatar. :D

I spent ten days in rehab. I almost didn't have a choice, really. My surgeon came in on Friday (my surgery was on a Wednesday afternoon) and told me I would benefit from staying and he'd make sure my insurance covered it.

I have a disabled spouse (he had a stroke 15 years ago) and my kids were all teens (19, 17, 15 at the time), so one was at work and the other two were at school all day. My one and only bathroom is upstairs. Plus, six days after the surgery, I was given two units of blood (after almost passing out while sitting in bed!).

I will say that I'm SO GLAD I had my surgery at the hospital the next town over (Mercy in Janesville, WI). Their rehab is in the actual hospital, so I had great nurses/support staff, great PT and OT, pretty good pain management, and decent food. If I had gone to our local hospital, I would have ended up in possibly the worst place I've ever seen. My mom was there for two weeks over the summer and I met another patient who was there for a LTKR. I asked if he was there because of complications and he said it was because his wife couldn't miss work and they felt more comfortable with him there. He said if he ever got another TKR, he'd tough it out at home- it certainly couldn't be worse than that place. (when we got my mom out, my dad and her home care nurse filed complaints).

Oddly, I qualified to have the rehab, but I didn't qualify for PT to come to the house. After my two weeks in the hospital (four days following surgery, then the ten in the rehab-which was down the hall of the same wing), I went to my parents' house for two weeks. Single level and a fully handicapped accessible bathroom. My mom's home health aide would check my incision, she said because she was curious, but I think it was because she wanted to make sure it was okay. :wink:

My mom used to be a home health aide and the people who came to the house and tended to her were former coworkers and friends with her.

At first, I was none too happy with staying in the hospital, but of course it was the correct choice for my situation.

Joni, love your avatar. :D

I spent ten days in rehab. I almost didn't have a choice, really. My surgeon came in on Friday (my surgery was on a Wednesday afternoon) and told me I would benefit from staying and he'd make sure my insurance covered it.

I have a disabled spouse (he had a stroke 15 years ago) and my kids were all teens (19, 17, 15 at the time), so one was at work and the other two were at school all day. My one and only bathroom is upstairs. Plus, six days after the surgery, I was given two units of blood (after almost passing out while sitting in bed!).

I will say that I'm SO GLAD I had my surgery at the hospital the next town over (Mercy in Janesville, WI). Their rehab is in the actual hospital, so I had great nurses/support staff, great PT and OT, pretty good pain management, and decent food. If I had gone to our local hospital, I would have ended up in possibly the worst place I've ever seen. My mom was there for two weeks over the summer and I met another patient who was there for a LTKR. I asked if he was there because of complications and he said it was because his wife couldn't miss work and they felt more comfortable with him there. He said if he ever got another TKR, he'd tough it out at home- it certainly couldn't be worse than that place. (when we got my mom out, my dad and her home care nurse filed complaints).

Oddly, I qualified to have the rehab, but I didn't qualify for PT to come to the house. After my two weeks in the hospital (four days following surgery, then the ten in the rehab-which was down the hall of the same wing), I went to my parents' house for two weeks. Single level and a fully handicapped accessible bathroom. My mom's home health aide would check my incision, she said because she was curious, but I think it was because she wanted to make sure it was okay. :wink:

My mom used to be a home health aide and the people who came to the house and tended to her were former coworkers and friends with her.

At first, I was none too happy with staying in the hospital, but of course it was the correct choice for my situation.

Patty,
I Love Queen and have all of my favorite songs on ITunes on my lap top so I can listen to them in the hospital. You know it is real good to hear about your experience. I spoke to a case worker at the hospital yesterday and they told me that would not send me to a place that is not covered by my insurance.

Regarding home PT that is a good question. I will find out about that. Sounds like you had it made when you got to go to your moms house. Thank you for writing.

Joni:dogkiss::dogkiss:

So, my surgery is on thursday. I will go home Friday afternoon, then go to pt on Monday afternoon at 1 pm.

I do not use coumadan--I use Lovenox, so I don't have to have blood checks, but I could see having home health for that---although I would not do it if I had to pay for it.

For me, I enjoyed getting up and getting out of the house---I would have died if I had to spend a week IN the house. From the first day home, i walked outside for at least 15 minutes three times a day---it was so wonderful to be outside. I don't care how cold it is or if it is raining, I want to be outside.

But, all choices are yours---home health, pt facility, rehab facility, etc---time and money and help at home all play a part in any decision. Kelly

You sound like me Kelly, When I got home on a Wed I had to take a walk down our rural road, with a worry wort hubby following me in case my crutches and I went seperate directions! On Thurs I went to the local hospital for PT. They were surprised I had spent only 2 nights in the hospital. And had been sent home with crutches and not a walker.
I was very lucky last Sept was nice and I could go for a walk at least once a day.
Now if the knee muscles would settle back where they belong I would be very happy. Other than that I've had no complaints about my new knee.:dogkiss:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Hip4life
    Staff member since January 6, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads