THR Review after 1 year - is it necessary?

Great update! I'd say you're doing really well for 8 days post op. Mastering personal grooming feels so fulfilling. I'm happy for you. Week by week it gets better.
You mentioned approaches - Following is an explanation of approaches, possibly you'll recognize the one your surgeon used. http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/thr-approaches-or-incisions.5428/
A flower for you :flwrysmile: and wishes for a good day!
@Fiona444

Thank you ladies for all the positive feedback. This journey is definitely a challenging one and i cannot imagine what it would be like to go through it alone and without online support.

Yesterday i did 500 more steps but because it was so hot i found it incredibly challenging. Today if it is still as hot i think i will do 2 little walks. The best part was that i walked with hubs and my golden retriever Casey. Casey was so good at not pulling to get ahead and watching me all the time. I cant wait to be able to take him out on my own again. Hubs was holding him as I cannot risk being pulled about.

I also had a trip out to the vets. Casey has developed a few bald patches in his coat so I wanted it checked out sooner rather than later. It was lovely to be doing normal stuff and chatting to folk about matters other than my hip.

Last night was difficult to sleep with aches etc. Icing and a pill have sorted that out now. Today is my first day that i will be alone from about midday to 11 at night. Bit nervous but sure it will be ok

@Fiona444 this journey never stops challenging us, that's for sure! Just when we think everything is sorted, some new little niggle seems to pop up!
You are doing so well at such an early stage.
Being all alone for the first time is certainly daunting, but I"m sure you will be fine. I remember feeling so proud of myself the first time I was left to cope alone -another step on the road to independence! :) :-) (:

@Layla thank you for posting the approaches. Unfortunately none of them resemble mine. I would post a picture but unfortunately the ones i have show too much of my bum and would probably break the decency laws :rofsign:

Thank you @Ptarmigan and @linette333 its weird but sometimes i don’t feel as if i have come very far at all especially when i am still in bed so much and so reliant on the pain meds. Some people manage on just paracetamol at my stage and I certainly couldn’t do that

@Fiona444 It all depends on your point of view, I suppose. When I go back in your thread a short time, I see very noticeable positive changes. And so it never occurs to me to consider anything else other than these lovely signs of progress you report.

I love the article(s) about energy drain, and the illustrations, too, in the Library. I have observed this in family members who have had different surgeries, but didn’t have such a nifty term to explain it. It’s such a comfort to me to think that all the energy is there still - even if we can’t feel it or use it - but it’s just been rerouted to healing, so it’s temporarily inaccessible. I like to reassure myself our natural energy will become available again all in due time, and that we’re not really as bedridden it may seem to a casual observer - we’re busy healing,

My husband’s had chronic pain for different problems for years, so the only question that ever crosses my mind is “are you getting pain relief that works for you?” I hope your pain is well-managed, and I hope it won’t trouble you if you continue to manage it for a bit. This too shall pass.

@Fiona444 It is really early for you to start to worry about coming off the meds. Remember, everyone is different, especially where pain is concerned. If your pain is not well controlled, you won't be able to be as active as you need to be.
Believe us when we tell you that you are doing fine! :hugzz:

Hi - I'd agree with all the good advice you have so far - you're doing really well so soon. Be patient. Be kind to yourself and take your pain relief regularly as prescribed - you'll know naturally when to reduce them but now is far too soon- slow and steady, move little and often, keep rehydrated and take high fibre fruit/veg . This too shall pass. Oh- and keep checking in on this site and forum. It truely is a wonderful place :flwrysmile:

thank you for posting the approaches. Unfortunately none of them resemble mine.
Fiona, do remember that hip incisions are not an exact science. They vary greatly from one patient and surgeon to another. What you need to do is look at them all and see which on is closest to yours.

I am feeling much more positive this afternoon. I was on my own and got very inventive with general tasks such as using the bottom of my crutch to retrieve a fallen bird feeder from the ground, putting my porridge into a tupperware with a lid and stuffing it down the front of my shorts to transfer it to my chair, spoon in back pocket. Golfers bend to feed the dogs and crutch and ball launcher to throw cuddly toys and balls around the garden for the dogs. A good day :loveshwr:

Fiona, do remember that hip incisions are not an exact science. They vary greatly from one patient and surgeon to another. What you need to do is look at them all and see which on is closest to yours.

I had a good look but all the scars are vertical. Mine is definitely posterior but starts on the outside of my hip and travels across my bum cheek

You mean like one of these

lateral 1-horz.jpg

No because all those go down the leg. Mine goes across my bumIf I didn’t have rather a bloody bandage i would show you a picture. I am having the dressing off monday so will try and post a picture then

got very inventive with general tasks such as using the bottom of my crutch to
Yes! I am liking my friend the crutch. I use it for lots of things when I can't reach my handy grabber thingy. Most recently I have been using a bag of frozen peas for icing, and I drop the bag on my slate floor then bash it with the bottom of the crutch to break up the frozen bits of peas caused by putting the bag back in freezer last time I used it after it had thawed. Very handy items. Also am loving my toilet seat risers. May not give them up too soon. :heehee:

Sounds like you are doing wonderful! Boredom as well as necessity can sometimes be the mother of invention. :snork:. It is funny some of the stuff I've done with the cane or grabber.

Keep up the slow and steady and you should do fine. I know the slow part is sometimes trying as we're both wanting to be up and doing more, it almost feels like we're ready but keep telling myself slow down. Luckily my bestie had a TKR about 4months ago and keeps reminding me to take it easy and that yes, energy drain is real.

Morning all! Another day begins so lets see what this one brings. Good parts so far. NO waking up in the night for painkillers and a proper BM for the first time this morning woop woop! I think now would be a good time to start reducing my meds and swopping some of the co codamol doses for paracetamol only. However I will be sensible and see how I go. Also, my sickness entitlement from work ends next week and they have offered me the option to work from home. This is a great honour as they don't do it for everyone so again, i will be sensible and check with hospital on Monday that this is OK to do.

@Layla unfortunately those don't seem to resemble the shape of where my bandage is sitting. Once I have it removed on Monday I will try and post a pic as long as I can get one that retains my modesty :heehee:

@Calgal and @Elf1 lets see what fun I can have with my disability aids today :rofsign:

@Fiona444 you sound well, keeping your sense of humor which is good. So nice that work has offered to let you work from home, that should help out quite a bit. My sleep is still in and out but I've not slept well for years, but it is getting better. Camped out on the couch tonight, just couldn't get comfortable in bed last night, back was bothering me so trying this tonight. We need a new mattress but hubby thought we should wait until I recover so we know it's comfortable. I have to agree about the aids, always trying to see what I can do with them. :rotfl:

Hi @Calgal I am feeling a bit low today. My hip is very painful and feels tight. I seem to be hobbling around more than I was yesterday. I didnt walk any more but I did potter around the house and cook a meal and was using my crutch less and I think that probably has not helped. Back on full doses of pain relief again today :bawl:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom