TKR Clunking with extension<

If I get up at night to use the restroom, and go back to bed, the knee pain can quickly start to hurt. I have no idea what is causing it. The pain driving is not every time though it is new. I fear I have failed this surgery.

@Baxty, I have pain driving, and getting in and out of the car. But I am just three months out from my tkr. Icing and elevating repeatedly throughout the day as per Josephine’s instructions is extremely helpful for me. I also do the Tylenol protocol she suggested and it too makes a great difference.
Hopefully another OS opinion and evaluation will reveal what’s needed for you. Must be so frustrating after nearly three years to be having these concerns.

Thank you for your kind reply. Congratulations on your new knee and good luck with your recovery. I am supposed to strengthen 3-6 months and try a compression sleeve and if this persists, come back to talk about a spacer exchange. He said the downside of a different spacer would be the knee would feel more stiff. I saw a different surgeon and Murphy's law I was not too bad early morning though hours later I limped through the grocery store. He spent time with me.

Have you considered a second opinion? I am almost 2 years post op with a partial that has never felt right and my surgeon had nothing to offer me at my one year checkup.

I did have a second opinion at 15 months post op, but that doctor barely didn’t any time with me.

I am trying to get up the nerve for a third opinion.

Yes, the second opinion surgeon talked about changing the spacer but I have to do conservative measures first. 3-6 months of quad strengthening.
He spent a lot of time with me. I am glad I went.

Do seek more opinions. You can also ask about a scope of the knee.

Yes, the second opinion surgeon talked about changing the spacer but I have to do conservative measures first. 3-6 months of quad strengthening.
@Josephine how does this help a knee that might need a different size spacer?

I have NO idea! Sounds like a bit of a fob-off to me.

I have been offered the option of either a liner exchange or a complete revision.

Any insight would be appreciated.

I hope you reach the correct decision.

I have been offered the option of either a liner exchange or a complete revision.
That's not really your choice. The surgeon will have to decide when he opens your knee and sees what's going on. It might be that there is a loose component and he can just change and refit that, or it might end up requiring the entire device to be removed and replaced. But that's HIS decision and only his.

FWIW, I'm in the same situation. All the evidence points to my tibial component being loose (as it very often is) in which case, that will be removed and replaced with a new one but there are several issues that might arise that will end up needing the entire implant to be replaced. Invariably we never know which we've got until we wake up in recovery!

I am sorry but if that were the scenario, I would not have posted. My surgeon is into shared decision making. He is concerned about my age if I do a revision. The problem I am having is that at the appointment before all he talked about was revision but this time it was the liner exchange. The other issue I am having is that if I lose flexion, then I am not sure I can manage the stairs at my house. I am truly sorry you are having issues with your replacement.

I'm all for shared decisions in some cases like trying various meds or PT, but that sounds like taking shared decision a bit too far to me. You aren't an orthopedic surgeon, after all. :skep:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom