THR Journaling healing of my new hip!

About a month before THR I started having tingling in the bottom of my feet. I thought it might’ve because of hip..although it is inboth feet. It’s been6 days since surgery and a few days ago it has come back. the tingling is more inheel and some what in arch. Anyone have any ideas? I do not have diabetes..which I know can cause this sensation.

@J-nice After my surgery, I had numbness in my toes expecially when I first woke up in the mornings. But I did have occasional tingling and heel pain as well. For me, this would all lessen during the day after elevating. Finally stopped for good after about 3 weeks if I remember right. Considering everything we go through in surgery, it's probably not unusual to have this.

EDIT: This was only in my right foot after RTHR. No problems with my left.........maybe you could check with your OS or PT?

It’s pretty normal ... generally from all the swelling is from major surgery and it’s almost over.:prayer:. Keep leg up and ice .do...Ankle pumps . I purchased a leg pump battery operated on amazon for the revision... helped the numbness and tingles.After 3 thr it was different for each one. First one - no numbness, the next a little and was gone by 3 weeks. The third one ... still have a little . :ice::fingersx::shrug:.... take one day at a time it is a mix of heeling and recovery is a foreword march to freedom from pain and mobility. It’s amazing how the surgical experience resolves itself with a little patience, time and rest.
Sending lots of heeling :angel::angel::angel: for your journey to recovery.

@J-nice
I'm not sure it's tingling, but ever since surgery my left heel is very tender and at night I have to have a very soft loose sock on it or it really bothers me to rub on the sheets. It could feel tingly, not sure. I think it's a nerve from surgery that has to heal. My other leg is okay.

I have the tingling, started about 2-3 weeks out, initially it was really bad, but every day it gets a little better, I’m 4 and half weeks out and still have it.. I believe it will go away, body is amazing, it heals itself. Thank God. If it continues, talk to your GP . But remember, this was a traumatic experience on the body. I swelled up like a balloon, did you have any swelling?

I do have swelling in the thigh but not terribleI have atrophy in my upper butt but I had anterior not posterior. Very confused.

Tomorrow will be one week. I’m trying very hard to remain positive. I am walking a bit better. But the tingling, somewhat burning on the bottom of my feet makes it hard. I realize this foot issue started a few weeks before surgery so I’m not sure if it’s coming from my back or the hip. My back does not hurt. The inner hamstrings and inner knee pain that I had before surgery has improved very much which is definitely a positive. As I mentioned above lots of muscle atrophy in the upper glutes which happened I think pretty quickly. Going to call my doctor tomorrow and ask about the feet and the atrophy to see what he has to say. But with the anterior approach I would think if there was a nerve issue from surgery it would affect the femoral nerves in my quad but my quad looks fine except it is very swollen, which is to be expected. It has been raining so much down here that I haven’t really been able to walk around outside yet. My dog is terrified of thunder so it has become my daughters full-time job to keep him off of me When he panics!

:wave:
I realize this foot issue started a few weeks before surgery so I’m not sure if it’s coming from my back or the hip
If you had an issue surface that CAN be attributed to your bad hip...it still could take time to resolve.:yes:
Hopefully this is the case.:fingersx:
My quads are super sore after my anterior surgery...like I had run a two day marathon and then slept for two days:sigh:

My little Mojo does NOT like bad weather either....luckily that didn't occur during my recovery as my lap often serves as his safe haven.
All temporary @J-nice so keep the faith:loveshwr:

@J-nice - I just read your post on my thread so decided to answer on your page. hi!! I'm wondering if my iWatch is too generous? I sure don't feel like I'm walking that much!
I'm sorry about your heel and will be most interested in what the Dr says. Especially since it began bothering you pre operatively. It's hard for me to believe that I've already racked up that many steps. I'll research my watch settings.
Do what you can for you... just so you're taking some steps with each bathroom trip, right? You are several days behind me in recovery. I think I've mentioned that my achilles is sore and tight? I am doing gentle stretches with it and it now seems better, but like I said I'm several days ahead of you.. maybe if you are taking really small steps that your watch isn't counting them all, because if you walked for 20 minutes, I'm sure you have more steps accumulated than 300. So please don't be discouraged.

Keep in mind that with the Apple Watch not all steps are necessarily counted. For example, when pushing a grocery cart, pushing a stroller, possibly walking the dog, etc. It wants your arm with the watch to move freely so it knows you’re actually walking and not just being pushed.

This is more information: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207941

Edit: you can do a lot of steps just cooking in the kitchen, you’d be surprised.

I think I’ve mentioned this before but I also have the tingling. Started about 2 weeks after, and it was terrible, when I first got out of bed, it started on the bottom of my feet, and shot up to foot then ankle up shin and calf. That last a week, I was really depressed about it, went to the surgeon and he took x rays, said everything looked good and the pins and needles is probably a circulation issue, to see my GP or cardiologist. But since then it’s been getting better everyday. Now I just have some aching in feet , n mild pins n needles, when I get out of bed. It goes away after walking for 5 minutes. I also had a lot of swelling, which is going down every day. I still have that heal pain while sleeping. I’m almost 5 weeks out. I keep hoping every pain would be gone by now but it’s a process. I’m so much better than I was last week. I’m walking a lot. Can drive on my own, which is huge. I bet the pins n needles will be a lot better at 4-5 weeks. Keep posting, I would like to observe your progress.

Okay..I just never learn. I thought i’ll Try PT out. First time he came he was pretty good. Showed me some pointers to correct movements. Today he came and was like a different person! Way overaggressive..even when I told him it hurt and he responded just a few more reps. Then he said “Trust me”. When he said that in my mind I knew NO more PT. I can do this myself if need be.Now I’m sore as hell way up high in inner thighs where connect to butt. I should have listened to the great advise given here about Physical therapy! On the other hand tingling in feet a little better and walking better with walker.

I'm just reading through your thread and would like to say how well you are doing:SUNsmile: . It so early days isn't it ?
I'm 9 weeks down now and looking back can see how eager I was to recover and once I found this forum I learnt that recovery takes all sorts of shapes and time scales - I'm glad I pared my excercises and PT back and reduced pain I needn't have had initially and trusted my body to heal in its own way ( but continued to potter and walk about) You've got this! Be kind to yourself :flwrysmile:

Sadly, many have to learn the hard way, as you have, J-nice. We're not kidding when we caution that if anything hurts, STOP. This is not a no pain, no gain type of situation. You're body is injured. You've endured a "controlled" trauma. Your body is desperately trying to heal. It is healing and doesn't need to be put through the rigors of a workout, at least not now. So please ice and rest, then ice and rest some more.

It's very early days for you and at this point all you need to do for exercise is walk around the house for 5-10 minutes a few times a day.
Please read the Activity Progression For THR from the Recovery Guidelines -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/
It is a rough guideline. Some excel, some lag behind but it is useful in keeping you somewhat in check and hopefully not overdoing and landing in the ODIC (Over Did It Club)
Wishing you comfort and hoping you bounce back soon.
@J-nice

Good morning! I am so sorry to read your PT experience. What the heck was that all about? How could he come in in such a different frame of mind?? I'm so glad you were confident enough to know he isn't for you and NO, you don't have to trust him!
Glad to read that the heel is a bit better.. I still get a funny sensation with my heel and as usual my achilles is still my "sore spot" :loll:I am sure it's part of the healing process so I just go with it, but I have this image of the surgeon and his team going bonkers on my foot/ankle when wrestling my hip during surgery. Oh! I forgot to mention that my heel would hurt pre operatively, too. Referred pain and all that. Mine was like a huge toothache right in the middle of the heel.
I think you are on day 9? I think you are doing very well!! seriously!! :loveshwr:

@Layla thanks so much for the Recovery Guidelines. I definitely don’t want to be part of the ODIC club! @CricketHip Your description of your heel feeling like a giant toothache is exactly what my heel feels like. Side note ..how do you insert those cute emojis?

@J-nice yah, that heel hurt was rugged, luckily most of mine was pre op and not so much now,, but again I will insert my whine about my achilles.. :loll: I just had my husband do a light massage of my foot and ankle. After less than 5 minutes he was ready to quit, that always astounds me, I work on him quite a bit, for an hour at a time. I reminded him of how I had to stand and work o the onions and he did a few more minutes..

It looks like Layla has sent you the link to show you how to do the cute emojis.. but if you need more input, look at her first link, see the little yellow smiley face? Click on that and the different emojis show up ,, sometimes you have to scroll down your page to see them, but they are rather addicting and so fun.

upload_2019-7-10_16-34-41.gif Thanks!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom