Bilateral TKR BTKR 28th May 2019 - post op journal

Howdy all,

I hope I am not giving the impression that I am bragging or it has been an easy ride... I forgot to mention I still have some of the usual things others have reported like :
  • Numbness around parts of the incision
  • Very tender shin bone skin/muscle (?) on both lower legs
  • Aches and pains in both quadriceps
  • And the occasional sharp pain in either knees, not very often thank goodness.
But I have very little to complain about in the scheme of things :)

Howdy all,

Have had a good couple of days, was able to ride a real bicycle yesterday, just a lap around the block but was not too bad.

Today we caught a train into the city and I took the Wife shopping, she deserved it after being my full time carer for the last 5 weeks. It is amazing what we take for granted when we are physically well..... Today for the first time I noticed things that have always been there but I rarely thought twice about.

The height difference between the platform and the train for instance. Then the steep roads and stairs around the shopping precinct. It was good to get out but my knees were telling me it was time to go home.

Overall it was a good day, just elevating and icing as I type.

Hope all are having some wins also. :)

Howdy again.

I forgot to mention that my knees (legs) are not so much in pain but are really aching... Perhaps it is the rainy cold weather?

Wow, you really are progressing well. And after a bilateral too, serious respect!! You are a week ahead of me and I agree that getting out and about is so good for the soul!! I managed a short first walk with the dogs today, feel like I really might get back to life before tkr again!! We are having beautiful weather here too and that also helps ☺

Wow, you really are progressing well. And after a bilateral too, serious respect!! You are a week ahead of me and I agree that getting out and about is so good for the soul!! I managed a short first walk with the dogs today, feel like I really might get back to life before tkr again!! We are having beautiful weather here too and that also helps ☺

@dogwalker2 Thanks for the reply :)

Isn't it nice to get back to things again after surgery. It's like I have a mental list and I am trying to tick stuff off. Luckily I have a poor memory so my list is not too long. :egypdance:

My Daughter has 2 BIG dogs, we took them for a walk prior to my surgery and my knees were never so sore. Have not tried a repeat with my new ones, that is a long way off I am thinking !

This is not the time of year we typically get rain, but alas since I arrived back most days have been cloudy and we have had an unusual amount of rain. Welcome home !

Here's hoping your recovery continues in the right direction :)

@dogwalker2 took a neighbor's huge dog for a walk pre surgery, almost killed my leg with his pulling. Poor thing, it wasn't intentional.

Howdy all,

I am lucky enough to have a TENs machine so I got it out last night to see if it would relieve some of my knee aches and I must say it helped a lot. The only trouble I found was the battery ! I bought a cheap 9v whilst I was out the other day in case I wanted to use it... I found however that after a very short time I could turn the dials all the way up and it was hardly hurting.. Previously with a brand battery I was lucky to get it past a 1/3 without jumping out of the chair ! So off to the shops to get a new battery.

Funnily enough I miss my crutches, only because people would see and avoid me as I was coming their way... Not so without, I am walking ok, but slowly, but the amount of people that bumped into me yesterday made it very annoying.... I am not a little man and in my pre op days I would have give them a good shove back, not willing to risk that in my current state !

The sun is out so we are going to try a bike ride. :biking:

I am planning to use a stick when out and about for that very reason, you get more space!!. Hope your tens machine works for you.☺

That's crazy that you could ride a real bike already. You've got to be really psyched!!

@Atlas_aus you were a regular bike rider prior to your BTKR weren't you? I think that makes a difference to how quickly you get back in the saddle, providing your recovery is progressing well (as yours is). I too am well on the way to doing the things I enjoy after my BTKR in March this year. Walking, biking and Yoga. I can do poses on my knees with minor discomfort (I was worried that I might not be able to ) , and that improves as I continue to work at it. One MAJOR difference to before surgery, no pain! Sure, I still experience mild stiffness, and sore muscles as I regain strength, but I am so happy with my new knees. Very grateful to everyone who has helped to get me up and running, well, walking.

Good morning,

I am planning to use a stick when out and about for that very reason, you get more space!!. Hope your tens machine works for you.☺

:heehee: Love it. I started to use a shopping trolley, that also works well ! And yes the TENS seemed to have worked but need to get a stronger battery.

That's crazy that you could ride a real bike already. You've got to be really psyched!!

:) Well we went for a ride a couple of small inclines and about 4KMs return, maybe a little more. Never put too much strain on my legs, knees were fine but muscles were not happy, especially the thigh. So it must be doing some good !! Will be off again to the shops soon for another round, figure I will try and do each day and if I start to get too sore will drop it back a bit.

Good morning Possum,

@Atlas_aus you were a regular bike rider prior to your BTKR weren't you? I think that makes a difference to how quickly you get back in the saddle, providing your recovery is progressing well (as yours is). I too am well on the way to doing the things I enjoy after my BTKR in March this year. Walking, biking and Yoga. I can do poses on my knees with minor discomfort (I was worried that I might not be able to ) , and that improves as I continue to work at it. One MAJOR difference to before surgery, no pain! Sure, I still experience mild stiffness, and sore muscles as I regain strength, but I am so happy with my new knees. Very grateful to everyone who has helped to get me up and running, well, walking.

Actually I was a regular motorbike rider, have not been on a bicycle for a long time as my knees could not cope at all.

Walking or general bending of my legs is still hard, especially if I stay on the one spot for too long. As for Yoga I have never tried... maybe one day. Did you have your incision straight over your knee or curved like I have had ? I specifically mentioned to my Surgeon that I would like to be able to lean on my knees again for my photography and that is when he suggested the side incision.

Yes like you my new knees seem to be doing very well and no pain (some clicking and clunking), and all my other joints and muscles just need using and exercising a little again. I too am very happy with the results and very thankful for this site, my surgeon and others that have helped me on this journey. And to think it was only 5 weeks tomorrow since the surgery. :happydance:

My incisions were straight down the middle, and I do my yoga with a very thin memory foam pad under my knees for added comfort. That said, it does feel OK to kneel directly on them (carpeted floor), just a bit weird and very slightly uncomfortable. This is easing week by week. I do still get very tight knees standing or sitting in one place for a while, but I expect that will gradually ease. My surgeon says there is no reason not to kneel, unless it is painful, but generally patients dislike the sensation. I really wanted to kneel, so my physio suggested kneeling sooner rather than later, as he thought this would help de-sensitise the area. I would so love to have my 30 year old knees again, but I have these now, and have to learn new ways to work with them. I am pain free for the first time in so long, so life is good. You are doing so very well, wow 5 weeks tomorrow.

I am impressed you have started bike riding, a new activity for you! I did mention to my surgeon prior to surgery, that I wanted to kneel again. He didn't mention alternative incisions, but I guess each surgeon does it their way.

Heya Possum,

My incisions were straight down the middle, and I do my yoga with a very thin memory foam pad under my knees for added comfort. That said, it does feel OK to kneel directly on them (carpeted floor), just a bit weird and very slightly uncomfortable. This is easing week by week. I do still get very tight knees standing or sitting in one place for a while, but I expect that will gradually ease. My surgeon says there is no reason not to kneel, unless it is painful, but generally patients dislike the sensation. I really wanted to kneel, so my physio suggested kneeling sooner rather than later, as he thought this would help de-sensitise the area. I would so love to have my 30 year old knees again, but I have these now, and have to learn new ways to work with them. I am pain free for the first time in so long, so life is good. You are doing so very well, wow 5 weeks tomorrow.

:) I am not sure I would even like my 30yo knees, they were already on the way to being kaput ! And you know all my knee related injuries came from "non contact" sport ! When I think about it, it does make sense. When I played football and I was tackled there was no sudden stop of movement, unlike touch football or netball for instance where you have to come to an immediate halt. That's what mess my knees... Oh and running 10kms a day for 22yrs in defence force !

Hard to believe it is already 5 weeks... I was trying to visualize a month out when I was stuck with the catheter... I could not see an end at that stage.... But that was 2 weeks ago and I have gotten better everyday, thank goodness. :yay:

I am impressed you have started bike riding, a new activity for you! I did mention to my surgeon prior to surgery, that I wanted to kneel again. He didn't mention alternative incisions, but I guess each surgeon does it their way.

Yes, just back from the supermarket on the bike, much easier than the car ! I have never been much of a bike rider, always preferred to be on my motorbike.

The way things have gone so far I am again thinking of getting a motorbike... Maybe... :)

I think I had read about the side incision somewhere hence why I brought it up with the surgeon, he obvisouly had done it before and did mention more surgeons are going down this path.... Although he did single out females and said they prefer the straight incision, apparently it looks better :tada: No offence to the female population ! :)

Seriously, it looks better?!! If a curved incision facilitated kneeling, there would be no contest for me. But I am a function over form person!

Very nice picture of you and your wife. My husband was very good to me in my recovery, also. :roseshwr:

Nice pic indeed. My wife took/is taking good care of me too. Probably the biggest thing she does is fill that continuous cooling machine with ice for me. That of course involves buying and carrying big bags of ice, breaking them apart and sticking in coolers, dragging the coolers and machine to the sink, emptying and reloading.

@Atlas_aus , I didn't realize yours was bilateral. Brave soul you are!

Ken

Good morning,

BTKR seems barbaric but I guess it's only once.

Exactly. The thought to me of going through the same thing twice was enough to put me off. And the problems I had with catheter which lasted 2 weeks would certainly have put me off going back for a second go, that is for sure.

Nice pic indeed. My wife took/is taking good care of me too. Probably the biggest thing she does is fill that continuous cooling machine with ice for me. That of course involves buying and carrying big bags of ice, breaking them apart and sticking in coolers, dragging the coolers and machine to the sink, emptying and reloading.

@Atlas_aus , I didn't realize yours was bilateral. Brave soul you are!

Ken

Yes those cooling machines chew through the ice, but I am glad I had one in the beginning. Together with the compression it helped a lot.

As I said above Ken nothing about being brave, in fact probably the opposite of being scared to go back for a second round ! :rotfl:

Back to the physio last Wednesday and he was very happy with my progress, especially when I mentioned we rode to the appt, no biggie, it is only about 2kms return. He took the measurements I am at about 110 and 108 for both and a lot flatter than I had been last time.

I mentioned any exercise requiring me to lay down and lift my legs was out because of my back which he understood. Unlike my knees and getting better day by day my back will never get better and will keep deteriorating as I get older, I expect it will continue to give me trouble long past my knees being back to normal.

Lucky the knees are feeling ok, my Daughter's dog thinks he is a lap dog :)

members pic.jpg

Until next time :bicycle1:

Oh yeah, I wouldn't be keen to do a second knee either! I don't know if it's that much harder with BTKR? I certainly learned to walk well with both knees done, there was not another leg to help! If both knees are really bad it's a great option.
I too have a bad back, which got really bad for the first 3 months. It is a lot better now, but it's always just there reminding me. It's not going to go away, I just manage it with Paracetamol and NSAID's as needed. Exercise helps a lot too.
@Atlas_aus look at the size of that dog! Looks so funny perched up there. His face is a bit worried.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts