THR ChrissW's recovery thread

Good morning @phillau43 and anyone else who is pottering by.

I'm still trying to nap through the day and just letting it happen when it happens at this point. I was really tired yesterday evening and took myself to bed early. With the tablets the doc gave me, a Nytol herbal and a cup of herbal tea I did manage to sleep in 2 main stints but my thigh us really aggravating me.

Has anyone else made their thigh pain worse? On weds night I moved, not sure how but it was nothing unusual, but the ache definitely intensified suddenly, caused me to yelp and has actually just got worse. My thigh now seems to hurt with movements that didn't hurt before. It feels like I've pulled a muscle (I related that idea to how stomachs feel when you sneeze after a really intensive work out or surgery?) to be honest my thigh is definitely feeling at its most painful and I'm genuinely hoping it is what everyone says about where the muscles and nerves are on their journey of recovery.

Beginning to wonder whether I should worry but having seen the OS, PT and my own GP this week none of them seemed concerned by thigh pain. When something hurts but you know it's for a purpose it's acceptable and that inner strength kicks in so I'm monitoring carefully and plan on resting lots today while I wait got work to ring me and discuss a phased return.

Hi @ChrissyW i hope you had another better nights sleep and the thigh pain is not too severe? I don’t think I’m experiencing quite what you describe but my right thigh muscle is the only consistently sore area post-op and varies between a persistent ache, a cold numbness or a tingly unpleasant burning sensation.
I attended a funeral yesterday which was very well attended with around 200 people. The result was standing room only which, coupled with the half hour wait before it started, highlighted that standing still for 90 minutes 6 weeks after a THR causes some discomfort. There were two retired surgeons there, both telling me to be careful (although they were both cardio-thoracic so what do they know...!)
We are hosting a neighbours wedding photos in our back garden today (my wife is a female Monty Don!) so when I got back from the funeral at 3pm I then went into the garden until about 8pm, lawn cutting and tidying etc ready for the photos. Then cooked a bbq at 9pm (we usually eat late) with a g&t or 2. All in all the Fitbit hit 19k steps!
So I now qualify as a fully paid-up member of the ODIC.
Hope the sun is shining where you are and you can enjoy the day.

Well @phillau43 you sound to have been a very busy bee! Hope the day stays bright and shiny to highlight your hard work fir today's wedding. It was really sunny here earlier but it's now slightly dull and overcast but that's good old Yorkshire for you! I do hope your neighbours will repay your hard work with cake ( to me that would be wonderful!)

My thigh is still troublesome. Not a problem walking but lifting it and some raising movements cause some pain. It's nothing like any pre-op pain and really does feel like what I remember muscle strain felt. Well I'm not going to let it get me down. My son and his girlfriend are up from London this weekend so we've booked a table at a nice restaurant tonight and will have an enjoyable day catching up.

Have a good day and hopefully there are no after effects in your ODIC membership!

Hello :wave:
I'm sorry you're struggling with some new discomfort in your thigh.
Just wondering, Chrissy, if you could have pulled something when you attempted sitting on the floor and getting up? Is there a correlation? We can also check in with, Josephine, the forum Nurse if you're interested. I'm sure through a series of questions and the use of a diagram she posts to show the pain location, she'd be able to advise. Just something for you to think about...
Wishing you comfort, I hope it eases soon!
@ChrissyW

Thank you @Layla . Now you mention it was the same evening, but not the same time, after I'd seen the PT. I followed the guidance as far as getting down on both knees but then it just didn't feel right so I stopped. The pain actually came on in the evening, I was sitting in my chair, unable to sleep and I got got quite upset with frustration and then suddenly I just felt this sharp pain and from then the lifting of my leg has proved difficult and causes some pain.

I was wondering whether @Josephine might be able to advise but I didn't want to tab and bother her without need if it was just part of standard healing.
Thanks abs for looking out for us all

You're welcome, sweetie.

Josephine won't mind you calling on her, that's what she's here for.
Hopefully she's around later. Check back periodically as she most likely will have questions.
Rest easy, it will get better :console2:
@ChrissyW

Beginning to wonder whether I should worry but having seen the OS, PT and my own GP this week none of them seemed concerned by thigh pain.
That's because none of them are particularly interested or know much about soft tissue issues!

Perhaps you would show me the site of your pain using this chart. You only need to cite the references from the letters at the side and the letters and number across the top. These will tell me the square where your pain is.

aa hip-references-horz.jpg

After that, I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

Good morning and thank you for your reply @Josephine. The pain generates from R2F V and seems to radiate around that area, with some pain on the border with this square and R1F V.

I'm happy to answer any other questions and again thanks in advance

So about like this then?

Chrissy.jpg

I think the blue area is almost definitely Trochanteric bursitis which is quite common after THR
And the red area is likely to be either referred pain from the blue area (ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues)

And here are the questions

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Thank you @Josephine. I shall read through the 2 hyper links you have sent but here are my replies to your questions too
1. Posterior approach

2. when it wakes me through the night to what I would say is about a 6 as a sharp pain that once I move it subsids to around 2. Once I start walking about this goes away to a simple ache

3. I have been prescribed paracetamol and Tramadol. for the last week take 2x500mg 4 tines a day and I take 2 x50mg tramadol with the dose at night.

I had been on much stronger for a long time before surgery for the pain, a cocktail of paracetamol, codeine and naproxen (with daily lansoprazole). When I saw the GP last week she said if I needed to add either a naproxen or a Tramadol in the daytime but not together, however I've not needed to. Also been prescribed mirtozapine as sleep has been really bad from start.

4. Icing much less, only when needed now as sometimes, if my thigh is also cramping the ice makes it worse. When I do ice I leave it in place until the gel sachet has warmed completely and is no longer feeling cold.

5. Only elevating at night, but not real elevation for swelling any more as there isn't any.

6. Activity is generally walking and basic household chores. I try walk 3 X 10 mins a day and general walking around the house and popping out to a coffee shop with hubby a couple of times. Since Weds I have started driving but that has only been 2 short journeys so far. I went to the supermarket with my husband and walked steadily round, which I have for the last 3 Saturday's, no more than an hour in the shop. I'm due to start a phased return to work this week and am going to negotiate the reduced hours and daily activity tomorrow

7. Since my thigh started hurting more I've stopped all PT/exercises, except
10 heel slides in bed as these seem to help get my thigh feeling better when I'm woken by it during the night, but before this I did the following 3 times a day;
10 right leg abduction
10 leg raises behind me
5-10 leg lifts to front (these have always been most uncomfortable)
10 gentle squats holding on to solid surface
10 butt squeezes
10 raises up on to toes

Thanks in anticipation and I hope I've answered fully

4. Icing much less, only when needed now as sometimes, if my thigh is also cramping the ice makes it worse. When I do ice I leave it in place until the gel sachet has warmed completely and is no longer feeling cold.
5. Only elevating at night, but not real elevation for swelling any more as there isn't any.
I did ask how often and for how long you iced and elevated

If sorry if it came across unclear but I'm only icing when I get the specific pain, which doesn't come at regular intervals. When I do need to ice it is for at least 50 mins

I am not elevating during the daytime any more

Sorry my iPad regularly changes words. It was meant to say specific

So I managed to get to work today to start a phased return. It felt good to be with people and I made sure to take it slow, steady and not push myself.

@phillau43 did you feel like you'd moved forward and closer to normality with work? How many hours do you manage? I did 2.5 today and am trying for 3 each day, which work have agreed to, hoping this will help my journey to recovery and have no intentions of joining the ODIC.

I'm tired now but can't deny it felt good today and I'm being really careful to avoid any movement that aggravates that thigh pain, which I've done really well with today, with the exception of climbing in to my car. Just wish it would go away at night now but fingers crossed for a good night's sleep

Great news, Chrissy!
I'm so happy you're taking it slow and not pushing it. You're lucky your place of employment is so accommodating.
Get lots of rest and sneak in some icing once you're back home while you're easing back in.
Wishing you all the best in your first week back. Keep us posted.
@ChrissyW

That’s great news @ChrissyW and I’m pleased your work are being understanding. I really enjoyed the normality of going back to work and being ‘me’ again. I did 2 half days last week (Tues &Thurs) and this week plan to do 4 half days (M,T,W,F). I went in today at 8:45 and left at 2:45, so a bit more than half a day, but tomorrow I’m working from home so may have a lie-in!. I am tired when I get back home, but then I have been most afternoons recently. Next week I plan to do 4 full days and take Wednesday off to create a gap, just in case. The numb burning sensation is bothersome this evening, such that I’ve popped a couple of paracetamol and a naproxen before bed, hoping to get sleep. Hope you have a better nights sleep - it makes all the difference.

Hi, Chrissy. I was reading about your issues with your chair at work on May8 thread. I’ve been using a wedge pillow for driving and chairs as one of my precautions is the knee lower than hip. Now that I’m back at work as well, I take it in with me for my chair and I really notice the difference when sitting on another chair without it. It doesn’t eliminate discomfort forever (still regularly have to get up and move, of course) but I was just wondering if you had tried using one. I’m glad your work is trying to help you with this. Every little bit helps. Hang in there. It’s still :good-bad: but will get better. ❤️

Just a quick update. Work's being great and have found me a more substantial chair that offers more support than a standard office chair. They've said if it didn't feel right they will measure up and order one just for me.

Just to give you a laugh. As a teacher of post 16 students I'm never shocked by comments and they were very interested in my surgery. The best question of the day was 'how did you wipe your bum'!!!

And the answer is
"Best I could...":heehee:
Glad work seem very concerned about your comfort.
Have a great weekend!:tada:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom