My husband's right hip pain, what to do?

Is there any acetaminophen in the oxycodone tablet? If there is, be careful you make allowances for it when calculating your daily safe dose which is 4,000mg. I know the FDA has ruled that 3,000mg acetaminophen is a safe maximum but that would be assuming that the patient is taking another medication that also contained it and thereby inadvertently take an overdose. Assuming that this is not the case, the maximum safe dosage per 24hrs 4,000mgs.
@Josephine, what is the schedule you recommend for the above? My brother-in-law just had a hip replacement yesterday.

@kfenn, my brother-in law just had his second THR yesterday and is not being compliant taking the pain medication. He is at home. He also cannot sleep......didn't sleep in the hospital. Is it OK to take 50 mg of Benadryl with the pain medication? (if he will take the pain medication?)
@Josephine, what else would you recommend to help a person sleep that just had a THR?

I think your brother should be in charge of his meds. If he cannot sleep, he should call his doctor. If he does not want to take the pain meds, that is his decision.

what is the schedule you recommend for the above? My brother-in-law just had a hip replacement yesterday.
Even more that he should stick to such a regimen.
Is it OK to take 50 mg of Benadryl with the pain medication?
If he's taking what he's been prescribed, then no. Not without discussing it with his doctor.
what else would you recommend to help a person sleep that just had a THR?
Adequate pain medication.

@Josephine, my BIL is only taking 1 Hydrocodone (don't know strength) twice a day (I know, not adequate) plus 1 ES Tylenol with it. I think some ES Tylenol during the day?
So he took the 50 mg of Benadryl last night and slept until 5:30 am. He is a macho athlete/pro golfer...very high tolerance for pain (age 74), in great shape, firm-tight muscles. He would rather get sleep than take pain medication. My sister was on the way to pharmacy last night to buy some Melatonin...called me. I told her NOT to give him that! I didn't know how it would interact. :nah:

Question: My BIL had a hip replacement a little over 2 weeks ago and PT is pushing him to lose the cane so his leg can get stronger. Does that sound right?

Way too early. I think I might still have been using a walker at that stage and just experimenting using a cane when feeling really good. The leg will get stronger walking and it is important to walk without a limp after surgery - thus the walker or cane or a crutch so that we regain proper alignment. Sometimes it is necessary to push back on PT. What does your BIL feel - is he feeling strong enough to give up cane?

Good Morning,
It's recommended we use an assistive device as long as we're limping. Not sure that you've mentioned whether your brother is limping, or not. He will know when to lose the cane by forgetting and walking away from it.

At two weeks post op he doesn't need to be doing much more than what's reflected in the Activity Progression for THR. Physical Therapy can definitely wait at this point.
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

Wishing you both a great weekend!
@Cementless

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads