THR Paralysed after Hip Surgery

Hello @Sjukan
Hopefully you continue noticing progress. Please stay in touch, we're here for you.
I hope you have a nice weekend!

Hello @Sjukan
Hopefully you continue noticing progress. Please stay in touch, we're here for you.
I hope you have a nice weekend!

Ive been to the doctor now. Got lyrica for the pains now. We will find out if that works.

Still problems with pains and very little movement. Its week 8 now...

Feeling less and less optimistic. Its a terrible feeling. I cant walk without support. The leg and foot just isnt strong enough. Its so sad...

The doctor ordered a nerve test atleast....

Hey @Sjukan My leg won't support my weight either and I am on week ten. I now use a wheelchair if we are going shopping. It's a real nuisance and my surgeon thinks it will take six to nine months to recover. Please don't feel sad but I totally understand why you would. My doctor has just increased my Pregabalin to 75mg. My nerve pain is no longer really angry but still enough to keep me awake. The pregabalin takes a few weeks to work but is starting to give me some relief

Last edited:
Hey @Sjukan My leg won't support my weight either and I am on week ten. I now use a wheelchair if we are going shopping. It's a real nuisance and my surgeon thinks it will take six to nine months to recover. Please don't feel sad but I totally understand why you would. My doctor has just increased my Pregabalin to 75mg. My nerve pain is no longer really angry but still enough to keep me awake. The pregabalin takes a few weeks to work but is starting to give me some relief

Hope it gets better for you!
Is the leg weak because of nerve damage or something else? =/

It's nerve damage. My femoral nerve was damaged during surgery. The pain for the first 8 weeks was unbelievable until the Pregabalin started to take effect

It's nerve damage. My femoral nerve was damaged during surgery. The pain for the first 8 weeks was unbelievable until the Pregabalin started to take effect

What did they say? Was it completely cut or just bruised?
Do you have sensations on the thigh or just numb all over? =/
No strenght at all?

The surgeon told me that it might have been compressed or stretched. It definitely wasn't cut and will eventually heal. My leg is numb from the knee down but I do get strange buzzing sensations in the front of my thigh when I am tired. He is a very very experienced surgeon and was horrified to hear of the damage. I almost feel sorry for him as it is a huge black mark against him

The surgeon told me that it might have been compressed or stretched. It definitely wasn't cut and will eventually heal. My leg is numb from the knee down but I do get strange buzzing sensations in the front of my thigh when I am tired. He is a very very experienced surgeon and was horrified to hear of the damage. I almost feel sorry for him as it is a huge black mark against him

So you also have foot drop like me? No movement with the foot at all? =(
Or is it numb with movement?

o you also have foot drop like me? No movement with the foot at all? =(
Or is it numb with movement?
I don't have any movement in my actual foot. I had thought the nerve was mending as I was able to lift it a little but the surgeon says it is just that the muscles in my leg are getting stronger. The nerve damage hasn't improved and I have to lift up my leg with my hand.

I don't have any movement in my actual foot. I had thought the nerve was mending as I was able to lift it a little but the surgeon says it is just that the muscles in my leg are getting stronger. The nerve damage hasn't improved and I have to lift up my leg with my hand.

Thats horrible =(
We are kinda in the same spot. You might have less movement because of the thigh and I have insane pain =(
I really hope the doctors is right for both of us. That the nerves will eventually heal and recover fully.
I will have an EMG test done soon. Hope it shows good signs. If its bad and they say the nerve wont heal I dont know what I will do ='(
Its so frustrating!
But I guess we just have to stay strong and make the best out of it!

Hi @Sjukan I had appalling pain in my lower leg up until about two weeks ago when the doctor increased the dose of the Pragabalin. Now it's a really bizzarre feeling.It's not really pain but extremely uncomfortable. I feel as though my leg is buzzing and it often feels icy cold. I hope you are able to get some relief soon. You are very young to have to put up with all of this.

I hope things get better soon for you. My sister had been experiencing nerve sensations ie it feels like ants crawling on her leg and burning and tingling and numbness. They say it is her spine. So similar to what has been posted on this thread I had to comment.

Last few days my numb part of the lower leg has started to sting/tingle sometimes.
Should I take that as a good or bad sign?

Before it was just alittle bit numb. No pain, no sting, no tingle.

Now it stings abit..

Hi @Sjukan
I had sensations like those you describe during recovery but of course I didn't have the femoral nerve issue so don't know if this is an appropriate comparison.
I do hope you feel things are improving!
When are you scheduled for a recheck with your OS?
Do leave an update when you get the opportunity...
Rooting for you:friends:

Hi @Sjukan
I had sensations like those you describe during recovery but of course I didn't have the femoral nerve issue so don't know if this is an appropriate comparison.
I do hope you feel things are improving!
When are you scheduled for a recheck with your OS?
Do leave an update when you get the opportunity...
Rooting for you:friends:

Ive now completed the nerve test. They said its nerve damage and it will take 1-2 years to recover. If it does at all...
Damn this sucks...
If it doesnt recover I will live in crazy pain for the rest of my life... Probably 60-70 years of pain. Great... Also I can barley walk with his weakness in the foot. Have to pop alot of meds and use a wheelchair to just get out of my own house...
Feels like my life is ruined...
The pain before the operation was much better than after. Worst desicion of my life.. terrible...

Guess ill just have to hope for the best the next 2 years and after that we can see the real outcome..
Ugh I dont feel good atm

Guess ill just have to hope for the best the next 2 years
So sorry the news is not what you wanted to hear. But please stay positive. It could very well be that the nerve does heal.

Please keep us updated.

Sending all the best mojo your way...did they suggest any type of therapy or treatment at all?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back