TKR BCS Anna's Recovery

Besides ruining what was a lovely morning sharing coffee and bay watching with my spouse, that unthinking jerk left me so angry and upset that I came back in the house in tears.:boohoo:

Why can't people just keep their trap shut if they can't say something positive?

I'm so sorry you had your lovely morning upset. Some people just don't think. And our emotions are so fragile when the body is in full repair mode.:beer::flwrysmile:

I hope your equilibrium came back quickly.

I don't discuss my knee pretty much with anyone (bar close close friends and medical sister). Chances are same as happened to you both would be a repeat. I even smart when I hear randoms commenting on how well I'm doing. Except for this forum I have these privacy issues, I let loose here though :loll::loll::loll:

@TimeBuster

Thank you for your support.

I am sorry that your sister doesn't provide the emotional support and listening ear that you need right now. However, your friends here at BoneSmart are here for you and we can truly empathize with you like others can not.

In hindsight, I should not have expected anything better from our "seasonal" neighbor. He is one of only a few in the community who is not a year round resident. All the rest of us show pride of ownership in our homes and abide by all the HOA rules/regulations. He and his family think they can go "hog wild" while down at the beach. He has had words with just about all the neighbors, including my spouse.:heehee:

Anna:flwrysmile:

@kymamaw

While in my mind, I am still 25. In reality, I am a spunky senior citizen grandmother of five, which includes four year old
triplet boys. One of whom is obsessed with pirates and became disappointed when he found out Nana's new knee wasn't going to be a peg leg like a pirate has.:heehee:

Thank you for your well wishes.

Last edited:
@luvcats

Thank you for your support.

Yes, after spending some quality time with my mental health coordinators (what my spouse calls our two Siamese cats) I feel better. My recovery is going well and I will not consider what was said earlier today to have any bearing on my recovery.

@Benay

Normally my spouse or I would not have mentioned my recent surgery. However, I was sitting out on our deck with my legs extended and raised on an adjacent chair...while wearing my TED hose pulled up under my shorts. It was our "jerky neighbor" who said to me, "What are you cold with your leggings on?":hairpulling:

In hindsight I should have just said yes. But, my husband jumped in and explained that my stockings were not leggings and why I was wearing them.

Like you, we are private people who dislike sharing our personal business outside the family and very close friends.

Leggings!:headbang::headbang::headbang:

In hindsight, I should not have expected anything better from our "seasonal" neighbor. He is one of only a few in the community who is not a year round resident. All the rest of us show pride of ownership in our homes and abide by all the HOA rules/regulations. He and his family think they can go "hog wild" while down at the beach.

How unfortunate. It seems like no matter where you go, there's always one of these "I can do what I want" types.

While in my mind, I am still 25.
I'm not quite a spunky senior, but I don't think any of us get much older in our minds. I'm still surprised when I hear music from my college days on oldies stations. lol

We refer to our cats as the "supervisory staff". They aren't really cuddlers, but wherever I go in the house, they want to be near me. They each have their own beds in my office.

Are you a long time fan of Siamese? One of my rescues is a Siamese. The older breed with the big round head. She's very different from other cats I've had, and not just because we rescued her as an adult with Issues. Very much a one person cat, and she talks more than every cat I've had put together. All in that unfortunate Siamese voice! lol

@luvcats

I agree with you, fortunately the guy in question, lives three houses down from us. So he isn't right next door. My spouse, who is on the board of our community marina, had words last summer with him. The guy was purposely leaving the locking gate at the marina ajar. My husband blew a gasket over that one!:tantrum2:Not only did his actions create a liability situation for the community insofar as allowing unauthorized people into the marina; but, like us, most residents have young grandchildren that come for extended visits. I shudder to think of a young child getting out on the dock and falling into the bay!:oyvey:

I know what you mean about hearing music from your college days. I came of age during the Vietnam War when all that great music from Cream; Steppenwolf; etc. was popular. Even after all these years later, I can hear one of their songs and it takes me right back to that time in place. I shake my head and think where the heck did all the years go?

I adopted my very first Siamese, a little Sealpoint male kitten, when I was 25. After he passed away, I adopted my second Sealpoint male kitten. After he passed away from CRF, I adopted litter mates. They were 10 weeks old and the male, pictured in my avatr, is a Sealpoint Siamese and his sister is a Blue Point Siamese. And, like your girl, my little Siamese girl talks more than all three male Siamese combined. Playing with her toys and talking are her favorite past times and she always must have the last word!:meow:We call her our little Diva.

Why can't people just keep their trap shut if they can't say something positive?
before you know it she starts talking about all her friends who had TKR surgeries and how well they are doing compared to my TKR surgery.
You'll meet both kinds during recovery. Try not to take any notice of them. I think they intend to be kind, but they just don't get it - they have no idea how vulnerable we are.

Most of the stories are at least second hand. They've often come for a friend of a friend. I think they're a sort of urban myth. "My friend's Aunt Dorothy jumped straight off the operating table, and danced down the corridor to her room. Three weeks later, she won 'Dancing with the Stars.' " Sure, she did - not.

Whenever anyone started to tell me about "friends" who either had good outcomes or bad outcomes, I would cut them short by saying something like, "Thank you. My surgeon says I'm doing well." Then I'd change the topic of conversation.

@Benay

There are quite a few of us cat lovers here at BoneSmart. I just don't understand people who dislike cats. I can not imagine my life without my cats.

Here at the beach, we have a large feral cat population. College and high school kids come for the summer to work and think getting a cute little kitten as a pet is fun. Then come September, the kids go back to school and abandon the poor cat outdoors.

I am eager to get recovered enough from my TKR to resume my volunteer work with a local organization that operates a trap/spay/neuter/and release program. If I could I would adopt them all. But then, I would become that crazy old lady that hoards cats.:umm:

@Celle

Thank you for giving me the best laugh I have had since my surgery. The mental image of "Aunt Dorothy" dancing made my day!

It has been said that laughter is the best medicine and today, thanks to you, I got a good dose.

Anna

I'm glad it was a help.
I'll tell you another one. This time it's true.

My friend, Will, boasts that he went back to work 2 weeks after a TKR. He genuinely believes now that he had no problems and no complications - he isn't trying deliberately to deceive anyone.
The truth of it is this:
  • Although he did go back to work so early, he did it in a wheelchair.
  • His wife helped him get up, washed and dressed, and she drove him to and from work.
  • He stopped taking pain medications, saying they were "for Sissies".
  • Consequently, he was in pain and grumpy all day.
  • His colleagues wished he had stayed at home.
  • He rested in bed all the time, except when at work.
  • His wife waited on him, hand and foot.
  • By the time he was really recovered, his wife was a worn-out wreck.
He doesn't tell the full story, because he doesn't remember it.
He genuinely thinks he had a fast, uncomplicated recovery, and that's what he tells people.

His wife exacted her reward for looking after him so well - she got an orange sports car for her next birthday.

If I could I would adopt them all. But then, I would become that crazy old lady that hoards cats.
I would absolutely be the crazy lady who hoards cats if my beloved hadn't put his foot down. I may have two. An absolute maximum of 3 and only when natural attrition is expected. But I've realized I can't give 3 as much love as they each need and still get anything else done in a day. lol

@BCSAnna,
I’ve finally found a moment to return to the boards and read your recovery thread! I’m so glad you’re doing so well. I will continue to pray for you and Penelope’s journey and that those around you will support, encourage and uplift you as you work towards a healthy, functional pain-free life together. :flwrysmile:
~Cynthia

@Celle

Will's spouse must truly be a saint! His distorted sense of reality is truly amazing.

Actually,it's quite common for people to forget some of the worst details about their recovery and how long it took - a bit like forgetting the pain of childbirth once it's over.

@luvcats

It is funny, shortly after I met my husband and we started dating, he made his first visit to my apartment. Minutes after arriving, he spotted my Siamese cat. His reaction to seeing the cat was, "Oh! You have a cat!" To which I replied, "Yes, I do have a cat." He next asked, "How long do those cats live for?" My reply, "Oh, Siamese cats can live up to twenty years or more." He then asked, "How old is your cat?" I replied, My cat is two years old." The man is lucky he ever got another date let alone my hand in marriage! My terms were "love me, love my cat.":kitty:

I am very happy to report that he has mellowed over the years and loves our cats as much as I do. When our daughter, who is an animal lover also, was growing up we had quite the animal collection. Which included a horse while she was competing in equestrian events. My husband drew the line when she wanted a pot belly pig and a pygmy goat!:no-fin:

With Siamese cats, they don't wait for love and attention...they demand it! And they will vocalize their needs until they are met!:oyvey:

Reactions: RAD
@Cynof4

Hi Cynthia:wave:

Thank you so very much for your kind supportive words. They are much appreciated.

I sincerely hope that your medical situation has improved and that you will be joining us over on the recovery side in the near future.

I am very happy to report that all my pre-op pain control worries were for nothing. Even right after being discharged from the hospital, I only needed one 5mg of oxycodone at bedtime. Over the week-end, I began splitting the pills in half and now only take 2.5mg at bedtime. Hopefully, by the end of this week I can completely stop the oxycodone.

My recovery has been progressing a lot better than I had expected. My biggest issue now is when I get up to move around, I just start walking and forget my cane. My hubby keeps scolding me for walking around without my cane out of concern that I will fall. But, it is such a wonderful feeling to have my mobility back and to be able to walk around the house like a normal person!:happydance:

About 6 weeks I found myself loosing my cane all over the house. 9 weeks now, I take it when I’m out in public, my balance is off some time. You’ll know what is best for you

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks
Back