Revision TKR Hmm. Not thrilled with the revision yet

One of my friends (whom has never had a surgery) told me I needed to get used to this because it just might be my ' new normal.' Holy smokes that upset me. I don't want this as anything other than a point at which I get better from. She didn't mean to be hurtful - just honest with me.
Friends' comments like this do nothing but harm. She's has no idea under the sun what she's talking about and sure didn't help you one bit. I'd tell her kindly that after she has a knee replacement and revision then she can comment about your recovery. I think you're doing great! This is a long process and you are doing it well.

I figured out a stretch to help my thigh / quad stiffness. That happened yesterday and this morning my entire leg feels like a leg, not a hot mess of tight muscles. Such a relief.

It was so simple I wish I'd thought of it sooner. I laid on the edge of the bed and simply let my right leg hang off the side. I let it hang there maybe 30 seconds then brought it back to the bed. Then I let it hang again, this time I literally felt muscles relaxing - let it hang 45 seconds. I only did this 3x's, but each time the leg muscles relaxed more and more.

I plan on doing this again today.

I'm glad you found something that helped.

I think I've hit another level in my recovery. Its week 15 -16 in my recovery. I will say that I'm obviously doing more than the earlier weeks. However, I've hit the exhaustion wall again. Along with that comes the tears. Neither of those are normal for me. I find I'm needing an afternoon nap which I use to elevate and ice. Its like my body is demanding I rest.

It's not been an easy recovery with all that this knee has been through. I have given up on strength type of exercises, that was causing too much quad paid. I've been focusing on recumbent bike and very simply stretches. And very short walks, several times a day. Still using my cane 100% of the time if we're out of the house and 90% when at home. I'm determined to not have this wobble / limp that I still have, even using the cane. Its nice to not have the thigh pain, but Mr knee is still swollen & warm, so healing still has to take place. I guess this is all within the realm of 'normal' for recovery?

Your revision was only 4 months ago. No wonder you are still tired. Look at all you have been through in less than 2 years. Your poor body has yet to catch up on its energy level. I was also using my cane at 4 months and even longer than that. Please try not to get frustrated. It does get better. But, it's in your knee and body's time.

Gurrrrrr. I'm so darned miserable I don't know what to do. The debilitating thigh pain is back with a vengeance. Yesterday I had an eye exam - that was it. I even elevated / iced after that appointment. Yes I did cook dinner, but it was easy & not much standing. Last night I had a rough time getting comfortable and was up several times. This morning I'm miserable. I don't get it. I totally understand the hills and valleys of recovery, but this is ridiculous. I feel like I've slipped backwards and its frustrating. Had to have hubby get the roller from the garage to get out of the bedroom this morning. Poor guy, he is trying to give me a wide birth while equally being helpful.

Rant over. Going to eat some lunch, medicate me and put me back to bed with ice / elevation. Hope this passes soon. Happy weekend everyone.

@eaglemom I wish I had answers for you, but I’m miserable too.:blackcloud: I wish I never had the initial surgery cause I’m way worse off! I hope that will change down the road but with every surgery I’ve had awful pain . Sending you a virtual hug :console2:we’ve got to hold onto hope things get better with time! Xx

It's been 24 hr since this latest issue. The thigh is a tiny bit better but not much. At least last night I was able to rest - pain meds helped me to be able to rest. Going to lay low today and see what happens.

I pray your pain goes away really quickly.

Thanks everyone. This episode of pain was out of the blue. It is better, but not pain free by a long ways. I've tried to think of how to describe it - if I'm seated, laying down anything where the thigh muscle isn't engaged I'm ok. The second the thigh muscle becomes engaged to stand, walk, move, etc then the pain hits me. It is from the knee to my pantie line (sorry I don't know how else to describe it).

Happy Father's Day to everyone. Let's pray for a quiet relaxing pain free day for everyone.

This episode of pain was out of the blue. It is better, but not pain free by a long ways. I've tried to think of how to describe it - if I'm seated, laying down anything where the thigh muscle isn't engaged I'm ok. The second the thigh muscle becomes engaged to stand, walk, move, etc then the pain hits me. It is from the knee to my pantie line (sorry I don't know how else to describe it).
Let’s ask @Josephine

That was where the pain for my ITBand Syndrome hit me last year and took many weeks of rolling to resolve.

Interesting about the IT Band. I would totally agree. I've been trying to massage the area on the outside of the knee, as well as the entire thigh.

Tried to change things up last week - with no change in how I'm feeling. I'm riding the recumbent bike 8 - 12 minutes daily, with zero resistance. Frankly I've not even done many stretches, because nothing seems to help. Except elevation and ice.

Just before I had the 3rd revision my surgeon sent me to a Pain Doctor. What I took away from that appointment was "some lymphodema" in both legs probably brought on my knee surgeries! I have a compression machine and both legs have full leg compression that I'm to do daily. I've only started this again in the last several weeks. The compression is very lite and frankly relaxing. But....... once out of them my knee is stiffer because of the heat I believe. Yesterday I hooked myself up and frankly I'm not going to do it again until my knee swelling / pain is less. It simply makes me more miserable. The compression socks are tight around the knee - that's a no go. The compression full leg hose - well its uncomfortable because I feel like they are pushing my knee cap. I'm not sure what to do - so I'm doing nothing where that's concerned.

Toying with the idea of seeing the surgeon, but he'll send me back to the pain management guy I fear. This just hasn't gone how I'd expected. I'm certain others feel the same way.

@eaglemom did you know that professional cyclists often suffer from problems with ITB. I discovered it researching last year. In fact my ITB issues started when I started using a recumbent cycle and water exercise, and stopped both immediately. Have you thought of using a cold hand towel around your ankles when using compression, it might help with cooling lower leg.

Keep rolling and stretching and ITB problems will go eventually.

Hugs

I am so with you:( I’m calling my surgeon I’m in so much pain. It takes nothing for my knee to flare up and cause so much pain. I just am hoping it’s just the it band but I can’t believe the pain excruciating when going down a slight hill or stairs.. I sure hope you feel relief soon!! Xx

I did not know that about professional bikers. Interesting, I need to do some research. One of my issues is I hate being passed to different physicians because no one has an 'action plan' to help me get better.

Something funny that did happen. I received a notice from our insurance they were not covering some part of my hospital bill. Frankly I just put it to the side and since its from our insurance and not a bill I've not given it much thought. For some reason I decided to call our insurance and try to figure it all out. They were very quick to say they weren't paying it - to which I said I don't even know what your not covering. Its a $10,000 charge - that's massive to me. Through talking to insurance they "could" reduce the charge to $3000. I again stated I'd not received a bill from anyone so I didn't need a price reduction to pay it. I finally grew tired of the conversation and point blank told her that I'd done everything insurance had required before the surgery to be approved (which they approved hospital, surgeon, anesthesia, etc.) and this was ridiculous. The insurance lady agreed but didn't want me surprised when that bill does come. I told her that I seriously doubted any company would try to reposes my knee hardware! She just didn't know. I'll win this battle, I just hate that its a battle, for a bill I've not received.

Sorry you are having insurance isuues. I realise I am very lucky being in the uk and having private health cover linked with my hubby's work (family policy) which once agreed was unlimited for physio etc.

Hope it is all resolved soon.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties