TKR 2nd time around recovery

I am glad you sound like you are having a good recovery, one day at a time.
Today will be one week home for me
My biggest fear was the stairs, but that turned into a non issue
I am also trying to wean off of tramacet. I am 10 hour between doses.
I start my PT tomorrow and Wednesday go see my surgeon to have my glue strip removed.
Glad you are getting sleep, it's a wonderful thing.

@LaxMom doesn't sleeping well make everything so much better! Glad for you.

Ok, so thought I was turning a corner this morning. Slept a bunch. Got up and made some breakfast. Hubby came downstairs. Next thing I knew I was sweating and seeing lights and then passed out on the floor. Fortunately he was by my side and broke my fall. No joints got hurt. I laid on the floor with my feet elevated with a wedge and drank some water. Was able to eventually scoot to the couch and am resting there now with feet elevated. I called VNA and am awaiting a call back to see how concerned I should be. The only thing I can think of is dehydration. Every time I awoke last night i was in a night sweat with the sheets soaked. Scared me a bit

Next thing I knew I was sweating and seeing lights and then passed pout on the floor. Fortunately he was by my side and broke my fall. No joints got hurt. I laid on the floor with my feet elevated with a wedge and drank some water. Was able to eventually scoot to the couch and am resting there now with feet elevated. I called VNA and am awaiting a call back to see how concerned I should be. The only thing I can think of is dehydration. Every time I awoke last night i was in a night sweat with the sheets soaked. Scared me a bit
I’ll tag @Josephine for you.

Thanks @Jockette VNA nurse is on the way to check me out. The said keep drinking fluids, elevate my feet and rest for now. So that is the plan. I drank 2 16 oz bottles of water and one of Gatorade in the last hour or so. I think I got dehydrated.

On no...hope all is ok, thinking of you. Take care

Glad husband was right there and that you're ok.

Update, day 12. I never did see a VNA nurse for my fainting spell because evidently I do not have orders for a nurse, just physical therapy. PT came today. He took a look and asked of questions and examined the area. He thinks the knee looks fine and that I avoided a serious issue. One thing that appears to have happened is I pulled a thigh muscle when I fell. I think he said the medial quad. This was sore after surgery and now it is REALLY SORE, as in, it make it hard to bend my knee.

We did some gentle PT today and he encouraged me to try one more round but not hurt anything. He also said I should get ice on the muscle as well as the knee and it should calm down in a few days. The trick now is to keep things loose and move without irritating anything further.

The doctor actually took the day off but PT called his service and they promise to call me tomorrow to see how I am doing. I guess that means I am ok and no one is overly concerned! And I think that is right.

Other than that muscle, my knee pain is not bad and the swelling is down a lot. And, we are wondering if oxycodone is the issue with the fainting - both making me loopy but also giving me night sweats, leading to dehydration. He suggests I try to cut back on the oxycodone if I can tolerate it and one way to do that is to split the pills since right now I am only taking 1 pill 3 times a day. So, hubby came home early from work with a pill splitter and some extra ice gel packs. I am going to try a half oxycodone for my 3 pm dose and see if I tolerate that ok. From there, I begin to go with a half dose at morning and night and eventually remove the 3 pm pill. Sounds like a good plan to keep me from fainting again. I also have an Amazon order for coconut water coming tomorrow to keep the electrolytes up. I love online shopping!!!

I felt with it enough today to go up the stairs this morning for a shower and shampoo - what a nice feeling.

Other than that, reading, sleeping, found a new TV show, icing, elevating, and generally sort of enjoying this break from all the action that is typically in my life.

Glad you are ok. Scary. I'm also cutting out my tramacet, switching to Tylenol extra strength. So far so good.
Take it easy

Very interested 're your pain meds. I came home with paracetamol, ibuprofen and tramadol. Tramadol made me feel terrible so had to lose it. Glad yr pain is well controlled.

Happy it looks under control. You sound really good, I'm glad!

@Sunnyo is Tramacet the same as Tramadol? IT amazes me how different all the protocols are, especially in different countries.

@dogwalker2 I had a bad experience with Tramadol during my first knee replacement and now i never want to use it again. I know my doctor will go to that if I stay on Oxycodone for too long.

If I can get this leg muscle better, I think I can cut back. I did go with a half dose of oxycodone at 3pm ET, and here it is 5 pm. I just woke from quite the nap, so I did not miss the full dose. So far, so good.

I found that Oxy lowered my blood pressure really low. Maybe between dehydration and narcotic’s that was it. Sending good thoughts from Ohio USA

Thank you @winenama. I do think that was it. Hopefully I can wean off.

Oddly, my blood pressure was high today and it never is but I am guessing it was from the trauma of the whole ordeal. Hopefully it gets back to something sensible without being too low!

Happy for good thoughts from Ohio and right back at you from Massachusetts! I went to grad school in Ohio - Case Western Reserve. We encouraged our son to go to college in the Midwest because of the great people and values. He went Michigan State and loved it.

I finished S1 Dead to Me. S2 won't be out for ages.

My understanding is that you can take Tylenol with tramadol but tramacet has Tylenol in it.
My last surgery I had tramadol and Tylenol, this time tramacet.

I'm sorry you have issues with Tramadol. I love that stuff. It's made a huge change in my life dealing with knee pain.

If I can get this leg muscle better, I think I can cut back.
I find magnesium oil helps me with muscle relaxation. It's basically dietary magnesium but it is absorbed through the skin. And it's much better than pills because it has less of a 'digestive consequence'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished S1 Dead to Me. S2 won't be out for ages.

I finished today too. On to search for the next show. Not many episodes and each one was short. I liked it though.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88