Bad at waiting

Good luck with your surgery! Sounds like you will have at least one Nurse Cat to do the laying on of the paws, so you will be fine.

I had a right partial knee replacement (pkr) last spring (april2018) and a left pkr in late March of this year. It was shocking how straight my legs felt after the surgery. So much better!

I was fine showering with my husband’s help, but honestly, using the bathroom was more challenging than I expected. I added several feminine hygiene/sanitizing items as a precaution to avoid any uti/bladder infections, and recommend these.

I kept sensitive feminine wipes near the toilet and used one after each time. I also kept right there a spray hand sanitizer . I sprayed my hands, the handholds on the walker, and the arms and seat of the toilet each time. I also added a thick liner to my underwear in case it took me longer to get up and get to the bathroom, especially at night.

Since my first surgery, we replaced the toilets in our home with 17 inch high Gerbers. Old toilets are about 13”! Even so, I still had to add the higher post-surgery commode for the second surgery.

I also suggest thinking about post surgery clothes. I lived in roomy stretchy dresses, beach coverups, and nightgowns for a long time after surgery. I had to have a smooth fabric on my skin—nerves in the leg take a long time to settle down. I was also very fussy about the pillowcases on the pillows I used to elevate. I had to have smooth, cool pillowcases.

Your homemade icepacks sound great, but if you need to go to a gravity feed or electric icer, get the big cuff for a back and use that.

I do not do well with narcotics, so I ended up cutting Norco and Tramadol in half. I found that I could take a half of one pill with one tylenol and I would not get dizzy or nauseous. The dr said I could do this and just shorten the time a bit between doses. Much better than being sick or dizzy.
Good luck!

KarriB, where in VA are you? Did your surgeon express concern about your weight? I"m awaiting my surgery scheduling appt and dread any weight issues. This is the same surgeon who replaced my hip and at that time he wanted my BMI to be below 40. He was really nice about it though and I had the surgery at about 43 BMI

Good luck with your surgery! Sounds like you will have at least one Nurse Cat to do the laying on of the paws, so you will be fine.

I have 2 nurse cats, although neither are cuddlers. I will have my every move closely supervised though, so no shenanigans for me. My Bella tends to like to sleep half under the bed where I need to put my feet to get up, so we're breaking in a new cat bed. Currently it's downstairs in our family room in her favorite place to look out the window. I'm giving her treats and catnip on it. A few days before surgery I'll move it into my bedroom in a better place for her to be. Hopefully that will work. Cats are tricky!

I had a right partial knee replacement (pkr) last spring (april2018) and a left pkr in late March of this year. It was shocking how straight my legs felt after the surgery. So much better!
I can't wait. I've been having problem with cramps in my foot lately, and I know it's because I walk funny because of the knee.

I was fine showering with my husband’s help, but honestly, using the bathroom was more challenging than I expected. I added several feminine hygiene/sanitizing items as a precaution to avoid any uti/bladder infections, and recommend these.

I kept sensitive feminine wipes near the toilet and used one after each time. I also kept right there a spray hand sanitizer . I sprayed my hands, the handholds on the walker, and the arms and seat of the toilet each time. I also added a thick liner to my underwear in case it took me longer to get up and get to the bathroom, especially at night.

Since my first surgery, we replaced the toilets in our home with 17 inch high Gerbers. Old toilets are about 13”! Even so, I still had to add the higher post-surgery commode for the second surgery.

Thanks for this advice. I had emergency surgery for an incarcerated hernia back in December, so we got a test run on how things work when I'm out of commission. Then I got an abscess and spent 2 more weeks in the hospital, so I got to learn how to do without bathing at all, and then working around drains and all kinds of fun stuff. I'm about to order a bunch of the wipes they provided in the hospital. They worked very well both for after every trip to the toilet, and for a daily wipe down.

I think I will get some spray sanitizer for the walker. That's a good idea. I already have a riser on my toilet and I'm already used to using the counter to help me sit, so hopefully my current method will work post surgery.

I also suggest thinking about post surgery clothes. I lived in roomy stretchy dresses, beach coverups, and nightgowns for a long time after surgery. I had to have a smooth fabric on my skin—nerves in the leg take a long time to settle down. I was also very fussy about the pillowcases on the pillows I used to elevate. I had to have smooth, cool pillowcases.

Clothes shouldn't be an issue for me. I'm already planning to live in nightgowns the first few weeks and all my summer gowns are very soft smooth cotton. I only ever wear skirts and dresses so I'll have lots of options when I finally choose to start actually dressing.

I have some soft old sheet remnants. I should make some cases for my Lounge Doctor pillow. Another excellent idea.

KarriB, where in VA are you? Did your surgeon express concern about your weight? I"m awaiting my surgery scheduling appt and dread any weight issues. This is the same surgeon who replaced my hip and at that time he wanted my BMI to be below 40. He was really nice about it though and I had the surgery at about 43 BMI
I think you actually meant me. lol
My surgeon did express concern about my weight as there is a genuine additional risk. I think he would have been much happier if I'd opted to wait and lose more, but I really can't. My knees needed surgery about 5 years ago and I've been working around it since then because I didn't know to find a second opinion. Well, they are 5 years worse now. So I'm very glad he's compassionate and my health is otherwise good and he agreed to do it.

I'm in Northern Virginia, in the area referred to as the DMV. Close enough to DC that the difference only matters to those actually in DC. lol

Yes I did mean you! haha! I'm glad you have a compassionate doc in terms of the weight. That is wonderful as they are not always easy to find. With my hip, my OS actually said he's not convinced the research re high BMI and complications is solid- and as you suggested there are other factors to consider. But as I understood it the below 40 BMI was a hospital thing vs a specific surgeon thing. Best of luck.

I'm about to order a bunch of the wipes they provided in the hospital. They worked very well both for after every trip to the toilet, and for a daily wipe down.
That's a good idea for after trips to the toilet, but there's no reason why you won't be able to have a wash at the bathroom sink every day. You won't be completely bed-bound. After my first knee replacement, I wasn't allowed to shower for a week, but I washed all over at the sink every day.
It helps if you have a chair to sit on, and a willing helper to wash your back and feet, but it is doable.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good idea for after trips to the toilet, but there's no reason why you won't be able to have a wash at the bathroom sink every day. You won't be completely bed-bound. After my first knee replacement, I wasn't allowed to shower for a week, but I washed all over at the sink every day.
It helps if you have a chair to sit on, and a willing helper to wash your back and feet, but it is doable.
Lol. I'm so used to not being able to stand for very long, I'm not even thinking straight! I think it's just that the wipes are a known quality. They didn't over dry my skin or leave a funny residue.

Thanks for your replies. Your other surgeries sound more daunting than the knee, and you have really given thought to your setup, so you will be fine. As to the cats? Hmm. Cats do not like change. Mine is terrified of the walker or cane. She very quickly trained my husband to increase his time with her, though, to compensate for the deficit with me. I overheard him one night explaining to her that he was very, very tired, and he would be happy to sit with her, but they had to do this earlier, not right when he was going to bed. LOL. She now seeks him out about an hour earlier.

Thanks for your replies. Your other surgeries sound more daunting than the knee, and you have really given thought to your setup, so you will be fine.

Well, the thing about emergency surgery is there is no time for fretting. As I am a champion fretter, it made things a little easier. And the healing should have been relatively quick, if I hadn't gotten an abscess, almost certainly from a blocked drain. It was quite an adventure, but also a valuable learning experience at multiple levels.

As to the cats? Hmm. Cats do not like change. Mine is terrified of the walker or cane.

Cats most certainly do not like change! Mine also do not like when Mom is out of commission in any way. Having Dad doing the cat food apparently violates the natural order of things. Neither of mine are high strung (for cats lol) so I'm hoping they won't mind the walker in a general way. I'm just worried about the 'follow you by walking in front' thing when I'm unsteady. But I know it will all work out.

Ever since I was accepted for surgery I've been doing 2 hours a week walking at the pool and using a seated elliptical 20 minutes 3 times a week for flexibility. And then I hurt all the rest of the day. Even with the prescription pain meds. I have extra I'm allowed to take because of exercise, but I was cautioned to minimize that so I react well to post surgical meds.

Would it make any difference do you think if I took the last pre surgery week off? I know there's plenty of pain in the near future and I think I'd just like to enjoy minimal discomfort for a break before I dive in.

And then I hurt all the rest of the day. Even with the prescription pain meds. I have extra I'm allowed to take because of exercise, but I was cautioned to minimize that so I react well to post surgical meds.

Would it make any difference do you think if I took the last pre surgery week off?
Quite honestly, I think you should stop all the exercising that causes pain now. Instead of making your knee hurt and having to take more pain-killers, concentrate on upper body exercises.

For after surgery, we advise "If it hurts, don't do it" because pain is a warning sign that you're doing too much for your knee. It seems sensible to apply the same rule to a pre-op knee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite honestly, I think you should stop all the exercising that causes pain now Instead of making your knee hurt and having to take more pain-killers, concentrate on upper body exercises.

For after surgery, we advise "If it hurts, don't do it" because pain is a warning sign that you're doing too much for your knee. It seems sensible to apply the same rule to a pre-op knee.

Its been a long time since i could do anything at all without some pain, but I do think I'm currently at the point of diminishing returns with outside exercise. I'll stick to the leg lifts.

Two weeks before TKR surgery I had to go off all pain medication except Tylenol. So, I agree with Celle, take some time off.

Still waiting. Getting closer every day. At 10 days I've been instructed to stop all OTC meds and supplements, which means I'm in for an uncomfortable week as I cut out the various plant based antiinflammatories while also not using more pain meds.

At 3 days out, I'm supposed to wash with chlorhexidine wash. (Hibicleanse). I was told to wash normally, apply hibicleanse with my hands, not a wash cloth, and then stand for 5 minutes before washing it off. I do not have a shower chair, and I can't really stand 5 minutes past the time it takes me to wash. I was thinking I could apply it first while sitting, then rinse and do a very minimal wash. Anyone have other ideas or suggestions?

Edited to add: I've read some articles and watched some videos, and none of them focus on letting it stand, so that may be less important than the rest of the guidelines, so I think I'll focus less on the time.

Last edited:
I was never told to leave the Hibiclens on my body. They told me to just shower, using it instead of soap.

I got to have a nice lunch out with my beloved today. I can't wait for the day when I don't need to be dropped off at the curb and can walk easily from the parking lot.

Also, I can do without that grating feeling and the squeak of bone on bone grinding.
9 days and counting.

5 days and counting!

I'm in the home stretch. Just a few little things like make sure the laundry is caught up and wash the bedding.

Yesterday I got a massage to loosen up my hips, which always hurt because of my limp. Today I saw the chiropractor to get everything adjusted. I'm looking forward to ditching the limp!

The nurse cats know something is up and don't like me to leave their sight. This will have a much shorter turnaround that my last hospital stay.

I find myself having good days then an awful day of pain waiting till next Tuesday. Yesterday going to bed I could literally hardly walk. I woke this morning and felt like a million bucks all day.... little to no knee pain and felt well rested. Now this evening I got up to use the bathroom and a nice big snap noise and my knee is pounding. Honestly all I can do at this point is shake my head and laugh. Soon we'll be on the other side of this recovering and claiming a normal life back from knee pain! Hang in there.... you'll make it!

I find myself having good days then an awful day of pain waiting till next Tuesday.
Right? So variable.
I particularly miss my anti-inflammatory supplements. I knew they made a difference for me, but you don't realize how much until you have to stop them!

Hi! I was reading in the Other (joints/bones) section & KCDewie (ankle replacement I think) describes how Duke UMed
Told her to use the cleanser, and it included the standing. Surprised.
I have used it before 3 surgeries, and each time the directions changed a bit.
First time, wash body w only it for 3 days prior. No cloth.
Second time, wash w regular soap, rinse, then again w this cleanser, but for 4 days prior, plus the morning of the surgery. No cloth.
Third time, use a washcloth for regular soap, rinse, use a different washcloth for this and wash for at least 3 minutes (no mention of standing after)and rinse; optional to do it on the morning of the surgery.
I couldn’t have stood that long either. One minute balancing on the good leg max.
After helping me shower after the first knee surgery in the masterbath shower, which he had already renovated w a built in seat, my husband renovated the guest room bath specifically for my then upcoming second knee and shoulder surgeries. Master shower is great and I love the seat, but it is a big shower and a long walk (40+ steps)from the bed.
Guest room bed is about 5 steps from the shower, so moved in there for surgeries 2 and 3). He put in a higher, bigger seat in this shower, and added several ledges/handholds where I need them, and did 2 showerheads (sitting and standing or both standing). It is smaller in general and I feel safer in the smaller space, even though he is right there helping in either. LOL. Once I’m safely out and dressed, he showers there too—only one to clean (and it is smaller). We live in Florida (warm), so the smaller shower has a big entry, but no door. We did do a door in the master, because the shower and the room are bigger, and I was cold. LOL.
Good luck!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks