TKR Update

I like especially that I'll have a day to day diary of this journey because for me it's easy to forget. In fact when my husband asks is the pain getting better I seriously don't remember. I guess because it comes and goes in strength and waves. I think at night it's generally the most vile. For me icing is key but I've never found elevating to be comfortable, ashamed to say. I try to but don't enjoy. I'll keep my eye out for you and hope to see you lots! We're really close in surgery date which makes following so interesting.

I took my first bath :bath:tonight but kept my knee out of the water, had the ok from OS but still bit paranoid to soak. Since that was such a success I made an appointment for a pedicure tomorrow morning. Can hardly wait. So tired of the look of my feet. :bolt:

Just read your full post, @Benay. Sounds like you are doing great! I like to use this forum as a journal of sorts as well. My last TKR was in 2014 and it was a completely different experience. It is interesting to read back and compare the two. I am jealous of that bath. :)

Pedicure yesterday, toes looking more human. Bright yellow polish, initially shocking. PT today, feel like that's my social life right now. Sleeping well, feeling fairly energetic but determined not to overdo and regress. Still icing for most of the day. I feel like I've maybe turned a corner with this thing but cautiously optimistic, no jinxing :climb:and enjoying this feeling (while I can). I love reading everyone else's recovery stories seems it's an all day pastime for me, I never tire.

Yellow toenails! I love it!!! If that does not make a girl feel better, what will. This is a great post and makes me optimistic for what is to come. I got mine done a week before surgery, OPI Lima Tell You About This Color! Love looking at my pretty pink toes and not just my puffy knee. I have never gone beyond pinks, corals and reds. But maybe I should set a goal to get a fun new color in 4 weeks. :)

Yes! Let me know the color you pick @LaxMom. I checked Opi Lima. Pretty pink, almost luminous. Like!

@Benay, it is the perfect pink. While I was there, a young woman came in looking for a perfect pink because she was in a garden wedding later that day. I knew I had the color she wanted so we shared. Bonding over toes! Added a photo of my day of surgery after I got home. You can see my pretty pink toes!

day 1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
@LaxMom nice feet, beautifully shaped toe nails and an excellent color. All round good pic! Note: ignoring above the ankles:yes!:

I let the same way about my PT, it was my social time. I’d chat with the PTs, assistants, other patients because I was tired of being stuck in the house. But I can totally see yellow toes brightening the day!

Jealous of the pedicure, I am not advised to have one done in a nail salon for 6 months, killing me, I am a every 2 week girl and my toes are just not pretty

Jealous of the pedicure, I am not advised to have one done in a nail salon for 6 months, killing me, I am a every 2 week girl and my toes are just not pretty
May I ask why??? If you go to a good salon, there should be no problem

I woke up in the night and reached for my iPad first thing, as usual. Went to check Bonesmart only to find that "an unexpected data base error occurred" and the site was down. "Try again later". Probably was out of action bit longer than the hour I was constantly checking . I didn't realize how reliant I've become on the site, I don't feel alone in the scary TKR recovery world, not with all of you out there on the same path. Thanks to all the moderators too for their experience, balance and sanity. So happy the strong crutch I rely on is back up, I realize just how much easier it's made these last weeks for me.

I've finished six weeks post op and starting the 7th. I'm going to repost a pain chart courtesy of @Josephine which I screen shot a few weeks back. Crossing fingers that the worst is behind me, I'll update.

aTKR recovery chart.jpg

Last edited:
Love that you posted. Such a nice reminder of what it to come! I am screen shotting your screenshot! LOL!

I didn't realize how reliant I've become on the site, I don't feel alone in the scary TKR recovery world, not with all of you out there on the same path.

Such true words and so well stated. I love when I am up in the middle of the night, or whenever, I can log on and find someone who gets exactly what is going on.

Another first, lunch with best female friend. Delicious Vietnamese. Knee behaved, I carried icepacks in the car just in case. It was wonderful to be part of the world again, if only briefly. Back in my jammies and resting up.

Getting back to normal life feels wonderful!

I had the most uncomfortable night for a long time. I walked on uneven surfaces yesterday maybe that was was the cause. About to indulge in the oxy crutch. This is so painful.

Half hour later (editing) up, dosed, icing. I forget the roller coaster and overreact with any setback. It feels under control.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back