Supersonic's Pre Op Thread

Yes, people have short memories when you are soldiering on.
Maybe the came is a good idea.
:fingersx: crossed all proceeds without any more delays!:thumb:

Cane definitely a good idea. Not just as a reminder but for you to take some pressure off the hip. Remember if you have not used cane before - it goes in the opposite hand to where the hip pain is or opposite whichever hip hurts the most that day.

Hey, @Supersonic The end of June isn't very far off at all. Soon you'll be "on the other side" and can focus all that nervous energy on the healing process. And I know the whole strong prescription medication worries are scary, but I think that if you are careful and disciplined, you'll have no problems using them successfully and will wean off them as soon as possible. I, too, was horrified at the prospect of taking opioids, given the horrid reports in the news. But they are effective and will help ease your pain and get you up and moving about. Soon, the length of time between doses will lengthen and one day you'll find yourself off them completely. Deep breath, girl--you're going to be fine. Hang in there.

Sounds like things are coming around in your favor @Supersonic. I agree there is alot of negative talk about the pain meds, however it is what it is and as long as we are aware of possible problems, using it responsibly we are fine. I take my cane with me when I go out just to let others know not to cut me in front too quickly. It also helps to grunt a little if they do. I would take mine to work however if osha came in it would be a big no no. Hang in there girl, we're all in this together.

Hi there,
Cane arrived yesterday and l feerl more comfortable using it than the full on crutches given by the hospital fir post op. I've not ventured out with it yet just pottering around thger house fgor now.
Twisted / pulled/ snapped something the other day whilst at work. So have been taking it easy.
I find sitting around very frustrating, though there's not alot l can do at the moment. It's the waiting that's eating away at my energy, muscles any strength l do have.
I'm determined to keep working up until a few days before.
Pre Op now on June 26th so been cancel 3 times since 16th March. It feels so much longer mainly due to the roller coaster of emotions going on.
One day l'm sad the next excited. Then l feel it's all a mistake, then l remember the pile of pills propping me up and the fact l literally have no life other than work - which l'm so tempted to give up.

This is all followed by the high expectations of post op. I think about hiking up sunny hills ( l do t hike), yoga in fancy positions ( l did try it before and was shocked at how immobile l've become)
Then l remember all the pills and think maybe they have something to do with all this

Apologies for the long, self wallowing post. But it's been raining for over 48 hours and l've got cabin fever !

:wave: @Supersonic
I know you have had some real disappointments with all the delays on this journey. I can only imagine how it plays with one's resolve
Gloomy days certainly didn't help my mood, either:blackcloud:

Can't wait until you get this behind you..
Try to stay hopeful and happy.
Stress and chronic pain is terrible for us.

Hope the sun comes out soon:SUNsmile:

Me too ! Mojo333
I envisaged myself sitting in the garden, feet up, good book and iced drink by now
With a steady trickle of well wishes bring treats
Oh well best not to have too many expectations.
I've had 3 days off a steady diet of box sets and l'm currently trying to sum up the energy to clean my house and do my roots...the joys ...

Oh well best not to have too many expectations.
I beg to differ my soon to be hip happy pal.:console2:
Expect away...wish away...it is going to happen.
You will get your life back!:yahoo:
I've had 3 days off a steady diet of box sets and l'm currently trying to sum up the energy to clean my house and do my roots...the joys ...
:giggle: Not to make fun of your situation, but that does sound rather pitiful. We all deserve a pity party now and then, just don't turn it into a gala event if you can help it.:wink:

Hang in there dear @Supersonic :loveshwr:

A gala event ! I like that Mojo333
so true though. I 'm trying desperately to keep up appearances and not nag on at everyone l meet. It does feel like my whole life is dictated by this darn hip right now !
Losing mobility, l do feel as if l'm in mourning for my lost youth.
It seems to have aligned with the pinnacle of my menopause and children leaving home too.

I know l'm not the only woman to go through changes. Life is what you make of it.

Morning @Supersonic. Just keep plugging along you'll get there. My first THR I tried to make it to end of Aug for surgery in Sept, I didn't make it. Pain was so horrible I had to start leave from work Aug first. Sometimes our goals don't match up with our bodies. Take it easy on yourself.

I agree with everyone else who's posted--hang in there, and despite the delays and waiting, you will get this life-changing surgery and life will be looking up by year's end in a really positive way. Sounds like hip pain, menopause and kids leaving are creating a perfect trifecta of out of control emotions. So sorry--that must be really tough.

I know it's easy to say and hard to do, but try to stay as busy/active as you can, educate yourself (talk to folks who've had the surgery if you know anyone--also talked to a friend who is an anesthesiologist as I was terrified of the spinal/sedation, and another friend who is a nurse at a psychiatric hospital because I was also freaked about the prospect of using opioids for pain relief) to the extent that makes you feel more confident (although I was never interested or willing to watch YouTube videos of the actual surgery--gulp). Read those postings on the post-op forums for the stories of REAL folks who've had the surgery and recovered. You can do this, @Supersonic, keep your chin up!

It does feel like my whole life is dictated by this darn hip right now !

It does feel all consuming at times. I felt like I experienced a little mourning period also in that I had to part ways with my natural God given hip to be replaced by a prosthetic one. Mine served me well for many years and I didn't want to lose it. Who really does, if it didn't become necessary. THR, menopause and becoming an empty nester is a lot of change. But you'll get through each, one by one, and be all the stronger afterward.

We're here for you so stop back often and we'll do our best to support and encourage you while on the journey.
It will all be alright :friends:
@Supersonic

Finally had my pre op today! Feel quite giddy as it felt like everything was grinding to a halt and they'd forgotten about me. Any how, things are moving forwards, it's not a dream.
Though last night l dreamt it was scheduled for friday 28th which is impossible as my test results aren't back and l have to stop my anti inflammatory pills 7 days pre op.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another big step along the way, @Supersonic--with pre-op under your belt, you must be pretty close to surgery. I am not looking forward to mine exactly (August) but I confess to a wee bit of jealousy with all the folks ahead of me. Since I need to have the surgery to get my life back, I'd rather have it sooner rather than later. My pre-op isn't until early August. I am sure you are both excited and nervous at the same time. Chin up, lady, you're going to do great and you'll shortly have a new hip and starting the recovery process which, though it can be slow and uncomfortable at times, is not anxiety producing for most of us. Happy for you today!

Thank you, l felt quite giddy with adrenalin. It's been 6 months since l was recommended a THR. I've just got my meds in order too but have to cut back on anti inflammatories. I 've read that they can delay healing but l already feel as if my bones have remodelled around my hip. Less pain but also less range of movement. Pains all on my back so have to keep reminding myself it's deferred.

I'm excited too and my thoughts are now concerned with a realistic recovery. A lady a few months younger had hers done just over a week ago and l see her walking in the park with crutches ( where l work over looks this park)
I can see improvements in her mobility already but it's early days yet and l hope she doesnt over do it.

It's all gone a bit surreal for me - excellent pain management is giving me slight denial. Thanks to my lovely doctor. Pre op nurse was concerned l was taking too many meds at night ( 2 co-codamal, 2 Tramadol + 1 nabumatone). l have dropped the last 2 cocodamol. So far so good after 2 weeks of relatively pain free nights l dont mind so much.
I did query the night meds with my doctor but she assured me it was ok, and told me to rattle away!
I'm thinking July /August at the latest for my op.
Hope you aren't in too much pain. I'm tempted to read tbe revovery forum but l'm saving that until l'm on the other side.

Glad that you are excited about surgery, @Supersonic and focused on recovery. I think you'll be surprised at how smoothly that will go. Is it "fun"? Heck, no! But my experience was that pain was minimal, and once the swelling went down (about a week, as I recall) I was more mobile and excited to get up and about. I recall my husband taking me down to a local park to walk the paved walkway, hobbling a bit but SO EXCITED to be up and outside. Energy drain was the one thing I hadn't considered, and it was a bit shocking to me as it is to everyone who thinks that a slow stroll through the grocery store shouldn't feel like running a marathon! But that, too, passes and within 6 weeks I think you'll be surprised at how well you're doing. I believe it was a forum moderator who suggested that post-surgery it is good to look at your progress in weekly increments, say Monday to Monday, and you will definitely get a mental boost and a moment of glee as you see how far you've come in just 7 days!

Nice that your doctor allows you medication at night to help you sleep. I sleep "okay", not great, but the aching in the morning which wakes me up is definitely a drag. Being able to sleep comfortably through the night is a goal that I suspect everyone on this forum has--good sleep can be so elusive.

Hi
Wondering if anyone can suggest any pre op exercises for back ache ? ( Not swimming though )
Pains transferred to my back now, right hips newest trick is to go through a series of clicks and grinds when l stretch. Was scary st first but not so much now. Trying to keep my weight in check and have lost a bit which might explain new imbalance.
Also have been told to cut back on night meds ( which helped me sleep) so rotten night + painful days are leaving me depressed again
Thanks

Oh, ugh, @Supersonic, losing a good night's sleep is a hard thing, I know, and means that your days will be more uncomfortable and exhausting as well. In terms of back exercises, you might check the internet for some guidance. I know I've looked there before, both for hip and back exercises and there were some excellent sites which gave detailed instruction on exercises that might help. I think you could just gently and cautiously try some of those, to see if any work. I was lucky that I was in PT (thought I had sciatica) before the diagnosis of severely arthritic hips, so I already had a sequence of exercises that I was trying to do daily and they did help to ease my discomfort somewhat, both back and hips although admittedly as I got closer to my surgery date some of them became harder and harder to do. But I eased up on the really difficult ones and tried to commit to doing some exercise every day. This paid off for me, I'm convinced, with a stronger, easier recovery. Your surgeon might also have some ideas for you. Good luck, I'm sure as surgery draws near, and especially now you don't get effective night medication, it will be harder to wait until surgery. But hang in there, you are going to do great--have faith in yourself and your surgical team.

Hi
Wondering if anyone can suggest any pre op exercises for back ache ? ( Not swimming though )

Hi there :wave:I'm sorry you're struggling with pain and feeling down. It may be a longshot but I know my colleague @Jaycey suffered back issues, she may have ideas for you on some easy exercises. I've tagged her for you, we'll see whether she can advise.
Wishing you comfort and relief.
@Supersonic

Wondering if anyone can suggest any pre op exercises for back ache ?
Core stability exercises are great for lower back issue. But unfortunately they are not "hip friendly". Most of what you are feeling is referred pain from that bad hip. Try and stay off it, use your cane/crutch. This will all ease once that bad hip is gone.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom