THR The fun part

So cool, @Bone-obo, to see a picture of you getting out there and on the road! Hurray for you! And I will take your comments about flexibility to heart--just need to convince my pesky brain cells that it IS time to get moving when it comes to flexibility. Have been lax about my home PT exercises for the last week or so, so maybe it's time to do a gentle session this morning and see how things go. Hope you had a great ride as you were out there enjoying some sunshine.

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Missing you around here, but I understand, life is calling. There comes a time to begin moving on.
Hopefully all is going well, you're progressing as you should and staying out of trouble.
Please leave us an update next time you stop by and try not to be a complete stranger. Your posts bring a smile to many a face. Wishing you all the best life has to offer!
@Bone-obo

:wave:
Hope spring is starting to spring in your neck of the woods!
It is blooming here and about time, I say.:yes!:
Three months out for you and I hope you are feeling stronger every day.
It will be a Great Summer!
Hope all is well, friend.:SUNsmile:

Three months! Whoa! That's the paper cut anniversary, isn't it?

Yep, progress is pretty darn good. I've hit the asymptotic part of recovery, so I don't see much improvement day to day, but just when I think I've topped out, I'll notice I've added something new to my repertoire. For example, since December almost any strenuous exercise incurred muscle and joint soreness/stiffness that made me feel very, very no-longer-25, and just when I thought that was the new normal, this week the price for an hour's worth of exercise has dropped dramatically. Why, I feel almost 55 again!

While both hips have recovered approximately the same, the Christmas hip has had its ... peculiarities. For example, after walking too far last summer, my older, wiser right hip would let me know by aching slightly inside the femur - a perfectly reasonable place to ache considering there was a freaking stake jammed down it. By contrast, this younger generation of a crazy mixed-up left hip punishes over-long exercise sessions by ... itching. Right at the incision site. When I touch the site, the bony bits underneath are clearly sore, hot and generally PO'ed, but it's the itching that really gets my attention - I try not to scratch it, but dang! What's up with that?!? That, too, has recently gotten better - still there when stressed, but better!

Flexibility still lags far behind - my brain is a slow learner. Up to now, stretching has annoyed all the affected muscles, even when done with gentleness and love, and rewarded me with only more soreness/stiffness. I don't see any risk of becoming a yoga master, but three months is still early, and things are (as I've noted) still progressing, so who knows what kind of damage I can incur in another three?

Work is borderline spectacular - one of the best first quarters we've had in years. Which means lots of shoots, and lots of opportunities to try out my beautiful blue bits on gigs that would have previously crippled me - opportunities I now accept with relish! (And an invoice. Mustn't forget to send the invoice.)

Lastly, I recommended a friend of mine from theater who's started having hip pain (in the groin - does that sound familiar or what?) check out this site. Hey, Debbie!

Lastly lastly, this isn't the last time I'll pop in - of course! I love you guys, and miss you guys!

Don't know about the itching:shrug:
Same titanium?
Month four was definitely my biggest turnaround if you can manage to keep things to a mild roar...
Glad you are back to life and work...
Yay for a paycheck!
I've been on major fundraising trail as we always are...and that means after work activities for me.
Yep, I'm a healthy 55 ...very active UNTIL I stop...and eat.
Then...stick a fork in me:dead:
Lots of improvement to come, as you know.

Same titanium?
As far as I know! I figure as long as there aren't any signs of infection or serious damage I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing and enjoy the crae crae of it all.

Glad to hear about your high level of activity! You kids and your after school playtime!

Sounds like you're doing spectacularly well, @Bone-obo-- so great to read about that! I am sure the symptoms you've experiencing are probably temporary and with each passing week/month, they'll go away, or at least ebb and flow with a gradual diminution in severity. Nice that work is resuming and providing both engagement AND money! Keep up the good work!

Hey!
So nice to hear from you, Bone-obo!
I'm happy you'll pop in once in awhile. We certainly don't need or expect a daily update from members who are months out of surgery, we'll leave that for the newbies, but I always enjoy your updates and comic relief as I'm sure many others do. It feels like a treat to see you in the line-up.

I wonder if the itching is simply healing nerves refiring? It seems like anything that's coming back to life may cause some itchy, prickly, creepy crawly sensations. I feel like I recall a mixed bag of all of the aforementioned.

I'm happy to hear you're doing well and that work is spectacular. Thanks for suggesting BoneSmart to a friend, it's much appreciated.
Until next time....wishing you all things good!
@Bone-obo

Happy Four Month Anniversary to Lefty!
How are you Bone-obo? I miss seeing you around here.
I hope all is going well in your world.
Leave us an update....it's been too long. Would love to hear of your progress over the past month.
Hope to hear from you soon!
@Bone-obo

Long story short, I've been spending more and more time on my feet this month while noticing it less and less. Lots of shoots, which are always load n' tote intensive affairs, and several all-day gigs standing behind a camera. Adding to the challenge level, I completely ditched my beloved NSAIDs for the first time in 15 years about 3 weeks ago - there were more ouchies at first, but not much and not for long.

We're walking more and more, something we never did before. We walk to restaurants, to the movies, to local theater, and of course for our beloved frozen custard (chocolate chip cookie dough tonight - my wife always picks out the cookie dough lumps so more for me), and since we live just 2-3 miles from downtown Raleigh, that puts a buncha cool stuff within our newly expanded range. Hiking briefly reappeared as a potential thing, too, only to be disappeared by the appearance of bugs, so we'll stick to something faster like triking where we can outrun chasey-bitey things, and leave the wilderness until the late fall when it's safely frozen.

I tried jogging briefly - ten steps in, both legs made it abundantly clear that this was something up with which they would not put. I'll bet I can win 'em over in time. Maybe I'll try again next month.

My bete noir is tying my left shoe - I'm so freakin' close! If I hang over my left leg long enough, I can just about bounce low enough to snatch both shoe strings and sorta kinda mostly do an acceptable knot, but this trick's only good for once or twice a day before soreness ensues. My knees are still phobic of my chest, too - they won't come near it. And because there's not enough comedy in my life, I tried mounting a regular bike and looked like a tenderfoot trying to clamber onto a Clydesdale. Maybe I'll try again in two months.

Last edited:
Happy Saturday! @Bone-obo
So good to hear from you. I can't believe you're already handling the physically demanding aspects of your job. That's amazing! Ditching NSAID's after 15 yrs. That has to feel so liberating. I'm happy for you.

It sounds like you're digging this new "walking" thing. Walking to restaurants, movies, your beloved custard hangout. Take it slow, as you know, you still have months of healing to go for Lefty. You're sure making progress though. Thanks for the update. Don't be a stranger here, we love hearing from you.
Happy Spring!

Last edited:
I'm a super duper cool walker too.
I used to dread the long treks across the workplace campus, and even at 5'3", my long legged pals can hardly keep up.
So glad to see you back for an update.
Lots of new hippys here bound to find inspiration in your progress.
And it keeps getting better!:egypdance:

Happy One Year Anniversary to Righty!
You crossed my mind today, thought I'd look to see when we last heard from you and low and behold it's an anniversary tomorrow! Crazy, huh?!
Hope all is well with the hips and you're enjoying Spring.
What a great Summer it will be without hip pain. :happydance:
@Bone-obo

Very funny thread @Bone-obo Drinking coffee and reading might be dangerous. Happy to read how well you are doing! Enjoy

Am I missing something here? :scratch: Like a surgery, or an update :shrug: :heehee:

You crossed my mind today, thought I'd look to see when we last heard from you and low and behold it's an anniversary tomorrow! Crazy, huh?!
Hope all is well with the hips and you're enjoying Spring.

Aw! I was thinking about you guys, too, and missing all the friends I made during my dual recuperation! I managed to ride 40 miles a month or so ago on the trike - surprisingly easy. Distance on the trike is easier than it was before - my knees are happier now that they don't have to draw circles in the air each pedal stroke to accommodate for wonky hips. My speed is down a bit, probably because I've change the fit on the trike, plus I'm using a new set of muscles that aren't quite up to the task yet. Add time + practice, and this'll sort itself right out.

I was tooling along home from my nightly custard walk last night (strawberry) and about two blocks from home I felt a familiar twinge in my right hip. "What the ever-lovin' frell?!", I said to myself, slowing in dismay. A few steps later it was gone as quickly as it came leaving me with nothing but concern. Now I understand what it was: it was the only way my hip knew to alert me to its first hipaversary. So today there will be punch and pie, with blueberry frozen custard on top, and perhaps a celebratory visit to the gym to make my mighty blue bits dance!

Other than that, it's hot! The trike's on the trainer, and we're exercising on vampire time - from 9pm to midnight.

Congratulations and welcome to the other side! Here's hoping for a smooth transition home. Sounds like you are doing well with the pain meds. Best of luck!
I couldn't ask for a smooth transition, @lotusbuds - hoping yours is as easy!

I have missed your wonderful sense of humour on here! The only jogging I do is a fast pool walk - I don't think I will be "pounding the pavements" again!
If you can't pound the pavements, can you tap 'em with a lively walk? (I can't imagine you walking in any other manner than lively!)

Very funny thread @Bone-obo Drinking coffee and reading might be dangerous. Happy to read how well you are doing! Enjoy
Aw! Thank you so much! Although since comedy = pain, I think I was funnier when I was hurting more....

In other news, the local community theater is getting ready to produce A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, a musical comedy about a young Englishman on the wrong branch of a wealthy family tree who sets out to murder his way to the top. All of the obnoxious murderees (each deserves their fate!) are played by the same actor, and with my new mobility, I'm aiming to audition for the part. However, one of the murders is committed by spritzing the victim with bee pheromones, which means running back and forth across the stage trying to dodge an attacking swarm of bees. Running. Gulp. So I'll be practicing at the gym on treadmills to get my speed up before the auditions in 3 weeks - wish me luck!

Hi again :wave:
What a wonderful update! You're doing so well. I miss your humor around here.
Best of luck with the audition. I hope you get the part. Please stay in touch and let us know.
Enjoy the blueberry frozen custard on your special day!
@Bone-obo

Best of luck at the audition @Bone-obo and happy anniversary! Isn't being able to consider "running around" so wonderful! And the practice should allow for and extra scoop of custard occasionally.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Steveg63
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom