THR HipsterKat’s Recovery Thread

Day 6: Still achy, can’t find a position on couch that my butt agrees with. I know this will get better, but right now it sucks. My mom left yesterday and my weekend helper left a little while ago. On my own tomorrow, then have a helper coming for an hour on Monday.

@HipsterKat Sorry to hear you're so uncomfortable.......that can be a real challenge! Are you doing ok with everything else? Glad you have someone stopping by tomorrow. Things will get better but it's hard waiting! :friends:

Sorry you are feeling rough. It's a bit of niggly stage you are at right now but only lasts a few days. I remember just not knowing what do with myself. If I wanted to sit, or lay down, sleep or try to stay awake. Frustrating!
Try to remember to ice and stay on top of your medications. I hope you are feeling a bit brighter very soon but drop in for support here when you need it!

Day 7 - Woo hoo, one week! Slept well, but still achy today, though a little better. Operated leg has developed a weird twitch/spasm in a band around my mid-thigh. It is so emphatic that I can see it, even under a light blanket. Watching it twitch away even as I am typing this. Anybody else experiencing this?

:wave: Hello @HipsterKat
Muscle twitching and spasms are a common occurrence experienced by many and considered a normal part of the healing process. You're not alone and with time they should ease. If they become bothersome, consider Magnesium -

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

It sounds as though you're doing well. Happy One Week Anniversary! I hope you have a great day :)

Day 8. Have already had a full day, with home PT and home nurse both stopping by this morning. The nurse took bandage off and says incision looks great. I think it looks a little dented, but she assures me it is just swelling on either side and reminded me to ice. They raised my blood thinner again as it apparently has not registered a change yet. My diet (typically lots of vitamin K rich foods) could be interfering. Nurse said ok to keep eating my leafy greens but make sure I do it consistently so that they can calibrate the med dosage.

Having spanakopita for lunch (yum!) then a busy afternoon of calls for work (from home).

Ok, I'll admit it, I had to google spanakopita but it looks absolutely delicious........love stuff like that. It sounds like you are really doing well for day 8! I had that little dent on my first hip incision and it does go away with time. Sounds like you're healing well. Have a good afternoon but don't forget to rest and ice in between those work phone calls! :flwrysmile:

Spanakopita is lovely! Spinach and cheese "pie" made with filo pastry (very thin). Do you make this yourself @HipsterKat ?

Easy does it these early days. Even working from home is very tiring when you are in healing mode.

Hope your first solo day goes ok. I remember that feeling of not completely getting comfortable. The good news is it passes. So does the nerve shots you saw on your leg. I think I only had them a couple of days at most. Play around with the angle of your elevation. My hip demanded different elevation on the regular. I even used plastic totes some days with a pillow on top, just to get my hip to be peaceful. Healing Vibes.

Day 9. Woke up to realize my cell phone had fallen down behind the head of my mattress and under the bed (with the alarm blasting no less). That was “fun” to retrieve.

Have to go into the office for a couple hours this afternoon (only about a mile away and I have a ride). But that means I need to wash my hair in the sink, as I can’t have first shower until tomorrow (per OS). Between that and the phone incident, it’s going to be an ICY evening!

Congrats to all my cohorts moving on to canes! I am still on the very sturdy rollater that I got when I had my spacer — it just feels safer for me for now.

Woke up to realize my cell phone had fallen down behind the head of my mattress and under the bed (with the alarm blasting no less). That was “fun” to retrieve.

That had to feel like a Comedy of Errors. Don't know if I'd laugh, or cry.
I hope your day only gets better.
Happy Wednesday!
@HipsterKat

Day 11: Not too much to report. Home nurse came today and checked everything out — they are still playing around with blood thinner dosage.

Mainly I’m just boorrrrred!! Almost looking forward to getting back to work. Aiming for June 10 to start going back in to the office regularly. I have what is basically a desk job, with a little walking, so it should be fine. And if not, will reduce to half days and work from home. I am lucky and grateful that my firm has been so flexible.

I’m really enjoying reading everyone’s stories and hearing about your progress and the ways you have overcome obstacles!

:wave: @HipsterKat. It sounds like you are healing well and let's hope that continues.

Due to my long recovery, the boredom was excrutiatingly painful so I took up crocheting again after a long abstinance! I could open up a shop! And what am I doing now ... a shawl, triangular shape, in denim blue! :sos: Slowly getting back to gardening. It is good you have a job you can ease back into.

Keep up the good work and have a peaceful weekend.

Recovery IS boring!
Time can drag...or did for me.
:bored:
Watching ice melt...
Counting times refrigerator condenser comes on in the course of a sleepless night...
Making lists of what I needed to do..all things I didn't need to do yet.:sigh:
Making lists of what I wanted to do...see above.
Actually looking forward to going back to work:umm:
Hang in there @HipsterKat
You will get there!:ok:

Last edited:
@Izabel and @Mojo333 thanks for the encouragement!!

After the bout with the spacer, it just feels like it has been sooo long since “normal” life. I was found to have an infection in my natural hip in early February following emergency gall bladder surgery and an extended hospital stay in late January. So it has been quite a year so far (although I know that some of our members with complications are dealing with much worse).

I almost wish I’d kept the spacer a couple more months — I was quite comfortable and mobile for its last month or so. But I guess that would have only been postponing the inevitable.

On the bright side, it has been kind of nice this round catching up on all the books I just never seemed to have time to read. :) Have also been brushing up on Spanish with Duolingo. And spending a lot of time WISHING I knew how to knit or crochet!! :P

Cheers and happy weekend to all!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom