THR Juanita's Hip Recovery

Hi,
A couple things...
Are you icing? If not, begin icing for 40-60 mins, no less, several times daily. Target 4x daily and see if the pain behind your knee begins easing. As you've read, the knee can be manipulated rather aggressively during the dislocation process and you may suffer discomfort for many weeks.

Are you using an assistive device? If not and you're limping, you need to be using one. Try heel-toe walking also -
Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

If you're knee is still bothering you in six weeks, you may want to have it x-rayed. It is possible you have arthritis in your knee also and it's been aggravated through the THR process. I experienced the same and found out I had some mild arthritic changes at six months post op.

You also mentioned you're walking a lot. Possibly you need to cut back a bit until you're pain eases.
Check out the Activity Progression for THR below -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/
OTC pain relievers may also be beneficial for awhile.

Hopefully this helps. Please leave which hip was replaced below so the info can be applied to your signature along with your April 2nd surgery date.
Thanks! :)

Thank you so much for the information , it was my right hip :flwrysmile:

Was wondering if anyone knows if you can get a tattoo after having a hip replacement would appreciate any information

Hello,
As far as tatoos, I recommend you check with your surgeon on that. I'm sure at some point it would be allowed given the salon was reputable with a clean sterile environment and equipment. It's really best you call the office of your OS though and let them advise.
@Ryesgma

I think it was in the scars thread that I saw a picture of someone who had done a cherry blossom branch on their THR scar. Very pretty but I would assume she waited at least a year to do it?

Funny. I was thinking about this myself recently. A quick Google search for 'scar tattoos' will show you tons of ideas. Here's a hip specific one! Don't know if I would go that large!

Attachments

• 10903712_830926916970785_793375847_n.jpg
    10903712_830926916970785_793375847_n.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 233
Thanks for the response on getting tattooed post hip replacement when I went to my joint replacement class they said I could never get another tattoo due to infection but I really would like to get one to cover all the scars on my right hip from all the procedures I've had done . I am going to wait for a while probably like over a year at least , but wanted to know from people who have been through this surgery what their thoughts were on it also is there anyone who is still having pain 7 weeks post op??:shrug:

.......wanted to know from people who have been through this surgery what their thoughts were on it also is there anyone who is still having pain 7 weeks post op??:shrug:

Pain at 7 weeks isn't unusual. If you get a chance to read some of these recovery threads, you'll see everyone is quite different in recovery, some have no pain but others definitely do. You didn't mention what kind of pain you are having? There is a lot of information on the forum but we can also try to answer any questions.

Pain at seven weeks out is normal - especially since this is not your first procedure on that hip. Are you icing and elevating? Taking any meds for pain?

I stopped taking any pain meds at 4 weeks , my os made it seem like I shouldn't need to . I have however been talking 1 pain pill at night so I can sleep , but during the day I pretty much white knuckle it I just started having a good deal of pain in my thigh , not sure what that's about maybe I'm over doing it during the day.

I stopped taking any pain meds at 4 weeks , my os made it seem like I shouldn't need to .
Well your OS is wrong. Many people need their medication for many weeks post op. You need meds to gain mobility. I would have a discussion with your family doctor.

I'm going to email my primary doctor and see what she has to say it just to me seems like my surgeon and everyone else involved in my care make me feel like I should be 100% by now , it's been so casual since day one I mean for crying out loud I got sent home 12 hrs after a major surgery and I still had low blood pressure when I was released. Not sure if I'm over reacting .:sorry:

I don't think your over reacting at all. My surgery was 2 days after yours and also not my 1st surgery on that hip. I still take long acting tramadol, tylenol #3 and allowed up to 600mg of hydromorphone a day but trying to wean that down so usually just taking 200mg at bedtime unless I have overdone it. I still get some pain, especially in my op side buttock (almost constant lately) and thigh & groin if I have done too much. The thigh & groin pain is almost like a alarm going off as soon as I push too hard. All my pain meds are handled by my family doctor now. I do find ice really helps but not to the point of no pain or heavy aching at all.

So glad to know it's not just me being a big baby , I was prescribed 10mg Percocet but I swear they make me feel like I'm a drug addict or something if I still take them so I stopped. I do have tramadol is that ok to take for the surgical pain? I'm just really trying to recover because I'm having a hysterectomy and bladder Lyft on July 1st just don't want to be suffering from 2 sources of pain lol . I'm really hoping that this is my last procedure and I won't have to deal with my hip again for like 20yrs :giggle:

I can only say Tramadol was Rx'd for me. It looks like @Jamie is online. Somewhere on here Josephine has a guide for Tylenol & Tramadol.

Since the Percocet is not the time release variety, you can split the tablets in half or even quarters. That might work better for you. But the Tramadol is fine as well and if it works for you, talk with your surgeon about using it instead. Tramadol can be taken with up to 4,000mg Extra Strength Tylenol daily. Just be sure you take the Tylenol in 1,000 doses and also count any other medications with acetaminophen (the active ingredient in Tylenol) like cold and sinus medicine in your daily total.

I'm definitely going to be trying the tramadol , it was prescribed to me before my surgery I got it to help deal with the horrific arthritis pain . Also quick question has anyone else had issues with the non operated leg ? My left hip has been popping and snapping which is how all the problems started with the right one . Hoping this does not lead to a replacement :bignono:

Also quick question has anyone else had issues with the non operated leg ?
Your body is adjusting to your new hip. Are you using any assistive devices like a cane?

Here is Josephine's Tylenol/Tramadol schedule:
The first is for 4-hourly doses and the second for 6-hourly:
aa-tramadol-routine-2-jpg.51125

If you use this schedule, do check to make sure you're not taking any other drugs that contain Tylenol (Acetaminophen) You need to stay within the safe limit of no more than 4,000 mg of Tylenol in a 24 hr period. If any other medications you're taking contain Tylenol, add their amount into your daily calculations and reduce another of your doses, so you stay within those limits.

@Jaycey I haven't used any walking aids since like week 3 , I'm really trying to concentrate on walking heel to toe so I don't limp . And thank you so much for the tramadol schedule I'm definitely going to be using it . I'm so glad that I found this forum and all the great people on it

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads