Hospital Food

Cynof4

Country
United States United States
I know that many of you said you had little to no appetite after surgery. I was wondering though- for those that did what did they serve you after your surgery? Did you get regular meals or a special diet?

I'm reading through several knee replacement blogs and a few remarked how surprised they were to be on a liquid diet. I know as a diabetic (however well controlled:cry:) I'll get the usual low sugar plate but my endocrinologist has already warned me I will need to up my calorie and carb intake for recovery and is working with me on meal plans to support healthy healing.

I am not overweight. I'll be in the hospital for 3 days- so this is really a concern. Just curious. I'm not going to make it very long on a liquid diet no matter what's in that IV bag. So, what did they offer you to eat?:what:

~Cynthia

@Cynof4
Firstly your appetite is likely to depend on the type of anaesthetic that you have. If it's GA then you probably won't want much but if it's a spinal your appetite will probably be normal.
I ate a 3 course meal about 1.5 hours after getting back from the recovery room. The next morning I had yogurt and egg on toast but after that I lost my appetite completely.
The drugs make you thirsty so you are likely to want to keep drinking. I found I went off my usual tea and was just happy with water.
When I got home I still had little appetite for the next week but it gradually returned to normal.

I had GA and still had a good appetite in the hospital. I don’t have any health issues so I didn’t need anything special. The food was delicious, I could have been in a restaurant. I had regular food, no liquid diet at all. And I didn’t have to cook it, or even go get it myself. :happydance:It doesn’t get any better than that.

I had an excellent hospital experience, no complaints at all.

The liquid diet for post-surgery is pretty outdated practice, especially for TKR.

The hospital I was at gives you a printed menu, based on the diet your doctor has ordered. But we could order anything we wanted from that menu, at any time of day. The hospital my sister was in was not as advanced,:heehee: you got what you got, and it was low carb. She is not diabetic, but your blood sugar rises after surgery, probably due to meds given during surgery, and her surgeon wants blood sugar in control to lower risk of infection. I was very anxious pre surgery that my doctor was going to put me on a low carb diet! We called my sister's meals the "white" meal, it was a chicken breast with some kind of sauce, cauliflower, a bread roll, milk, and vanilla low sugar pudding. Totally bland and unappetizing looking. Then when she had her shoulder done, it was a Wednesday again, and she got the same exact meal! The nurse advised us to complain, so that maybe the hospital would change to letting people choose their own meals! I was hungry at first, but after I got home, I did not have much appetite for a couple of weeks.

I was wondering though- what did they serve you after your surgery? Did you get regular meals or a special diet?
Just the regular hospital menu which varied from meal to meal in being okay-ish to yuk!
I'm not going to make it very long on a liquid diet no matter what's in that IV bag.
:scratch: My recollection of a liquid diet wasn't an IV but specially made up products similar to Complan. I'm also diabetic and had a small surgery a couple of weeks ago that required me to fast from midnight. So I had a BIG meal about 23.30hrs! But even so, come 7am I was already feeling faint and kinda hypo. And I didn't go down until about 2pm! I had egg and cress sandwiches in my wheely case and wish I'd made more!

Another time, I was served a 'meal' that was supposed to be shepherds pie (basically beef mince and mash) but they gave me a huge portion, mostly mash, accompanied by a generous portion of boiled potatoes! Plus a very small spoonful of mixed veg (which I hate!). When the nurse put it down in front of me, I asked if she knew I was diabetic. Having been assured they knew, I proceeded to register a complaint about a meal that was about 75% carbohydrate. She just shrugged her shoulders, saying nobody else had ever complained and walked off!

@Josephine ,
Thank you so much for your very descriptive reply- exactly what I was looking for :wave:.
I am a very tightly controlled diabetic and giving up control of my diet and medication- even for a few days- worries me. The last time I had surgery it took me 3 weeks to get back to where I was the morning I arrived. I was off my oral medications for 4 days and they kept giving me insulin.:bignono: I asked for them to consult with my endocrinologist :beg:. Within an hour my meds were restarted and my pain management plan was changed. Amazingly, pain control and my routine meds lowered my blood sugar within a few hours.

Another time, I was served a 'meal' that was supposed to be shepherds pie (basically beef mince and mash) but they gave me a huge portion, mostly mash, accompanied by a generous portion of boiled potatoes! Plus a very small spoonful of mixed veg (which I hate!). When the nurse put it down in front of me, I asked if she knew I was diabetic. Having been assured they knew, I proceeded to register a complaint about a meal that was about 75% carbohydrate. She just shrugged her shoulders, saying nobody else had ever complained and walked off!

:what: oh my goodness!!! I can't believe they served you that! I love shepherd's pie, but that sounds horrendous and shows zero knowledge of diabetic dietary needs.

My favorite hospital meal was a beautiful plate of scrambled eggs, bacon and some fruit. The tray was labeled "low carb". However, it was accompanied by biscuits (2) and gravy with jam. :rotfl: Don't know how those got on there, but definitely NOT low carb!

I'm going to take your suggestion and make sure I have some "snacks" on hand.

Thanks for the time and expertise you give this forum.
~Cynthia

@Cynof4
I am not a diabetic. But I do understand the trepidation of giving up your successful routine that manages your diabetes.

In my job, I am the person responsible for training those who use the glucose meter to test patients for a 6 hospital system. In our system if a doctor orders glucose testing at bedside, our computer will automatically send a message to our Dietary staff that you are on a diabetic menu. Just make sure the nurses know about snacks if you use them. They need to account for everything you eat while you're there.

I am having surgery where I work....when I did my pre-op stuff....the nurse taking my history asked if I had any concerns.... I said “Yes...bad food.” She giggled and said “ I and my co-workers were just discussing the same thing.”
I am totally taking snacks......

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy do I have a tale. I did not eat any of the hospital food which I shall describe. My hubby went out and got food and brought stuff from home. I lost weight as I could not eat for the 3 days in the hospital and then the next 2 weeks at home. My husband went out and got me things I wanted (culinary city here). But he also brought me cashews and almonds to snack on . I think they were all under the bed and in it.
This hospital had changed chefs and I use the term quite loosely --changed their menus. Should be sent to a gulag.I believe someone must have been pilfering the good food and left us with the dog stuff. If I want to throw-up (sorry) now all I do is think of that food. The diet was the same for all =no choice. No butter, no salt, no pepper, no lemons, no herbs. My BP was so low they wouldn't let me do physio. I have no health issues.
Well, breakfast 1 hardboiled egg, decaf instant coffee, bowl of oatmeal thick as mud with 1 white sugar pack.
Lunch:mac and a semblance of cheese with get this peas and carrots from a tin-gawdawful.
Another breakfast 1 dry toast with a slice of plastified processed cheese and that same bowl of oatmeal gloop. You probably could have used it a s filler for gyp rock.Somebody must have been selling the nreal food on the blackmarket-ha.My sis who was in another hospital a few months back had gourmet food.

@Poctdb,
Thanks for the info!
I am really advocating for them to use the information from my Freestyle Libre CGM to help me regulate my blood sugar and there will be no need for finger sticks. My OS is a reasonable man and I think I have convinced him that I can make my own choices about what goes in my mouth based on how I'm feeling and what I need. My last A1C was 6.0 and my BMI is 22. I do not have a weight issue. I eat a ketogenic diet 80% of the time. I've never heard of a hospital cafeteria offering keto menus. :heehee:
However, I recently experienced an acute kidney injury following a severe gastrointestinal illness. During this time my blood sugars were soaring and my nutrition was poor. The high blood sugars were from the illness, not my diet. I was afraid to follow the BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast- loaded with carbs) diet recommended for gastro recovery- even though that's what I really needed and I ended up dehydrated and a mess. I'm still learning the balance between what my body needs for energy and controlling my glucose. I just don't want or need to fight the "food choice" battle while dealing with TKR recovery. I will tale snacks!
~Cynthia

@mikeycat,

That sounds awful and like my worst nightmare!:eeeuw: I really can't afford to lose weight right now so I would definitely be up a creek without a paddle!:bignono: My stay will be at least 3 days so I'm going to need tasty, nutritious food or my family will be smuggling things in for me...:loll:

~Cynthia

This sounds odd, but bad food would have been an upgrade from what I got!!! I was in hospital for 24 hours. This included pre-op and an overnight stay. I was good until I came out of surgery. I got a "snack" of sugar free vanilla pudding after surgery, since it wasn't meal time. I sat in recovery until 730pm, and dinner had yet to be served there, so I was starving!! Got up to my room finally, and guess what?? They were taking the dinner trays away from the people on my floor--so I missed dinner!!! I told my nurse that I was going to get food whether they liked it or not, and left my floor. My husband drove me to Wendy's and got me a kids meal. Breakfast was supposed to be at 730am. Guess what?? Breakfast never came until 11am!! It was COLD, and consisted of 1/2 of a waffle, 1 cup of grits, a tiny portion cup of blueberries, and black coffee. I was being discharged as it was brought in, so I left it there incase the next person was hungry.

@Cynof4
I hope you can get the hospital to use your FreeStyle Libre.

You might try talking to the hospital pathologist and Risk Management and asking questions like: “What are your policies for indwelling sensor devices used by the patient?”
“Could a fingerstick be used once per day to “calibrate” the sensor to the bedside device? Could we use a lab draw?” (You will be getting drawn anyway for CBC.) You have plenty of time for them to make a call on this. My guess is that the answer will be no.

Good luck. Where are you having surgery? I remember you are in TX.... I think maybe DFWArea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your best bet is going to be enlisting the help of your surgeon. The hospital has rules they must follow as Postdb says. But working within the framework of those rules, your surgeon can have specific guidance placed in his orders that are different than routine hospital protocols for diabetics.

I went through this with my husband several times when he was hospitalized for various surgeries. His doctors had his sugars well controlled. The hospital protocol of continuous testing and insulin all day and night totally messed him up and it took months for him to recover. Next time, I got the surgeon to write in the specifics of his routine diabetes medications and it was administered that way in the hospital. Amazing....no problems whatsoever. We did that on all hospital stays that followed.

Good luck. It will seem like a salmon trying to swim upstream sometimes. But the effort is worth it to not have problems regulating your blood sugars.

My hospital does not serve food unless you order it. They give you a menu and its up to you to choose what you want and when you want it. I learned this from surgery for cancer. I had not been briefed on this pecularity and was wondering where Breakfast was!! GRR..
Now I know and for my TKR I was held in recovery for several hours. Not because I was feeling the effects of General Anaesthesia ( I was not ) but because the occupant of my room for whatever reason was still there. ( the rooms used to be semi private. Now they are all private). My family was with me in the recovery room. They went out to Panera and got me my favorite broccoli cheddar soup and half a chicken pesto panini. YUM!

This was about two pm. When I called to order dinner after getting in my room I wanted lobster. Yes they serve lobster at Maine Med ( its three blocks from the fishing port). I was informed that my first meal after coming out of anaesthesia had to be liquid. I had no idea. I told her how delicious Panera lunch had been after surgery.

I got lobster and not consomme.. I did have to constantly ask for water. The anaesthetics are incredibly dehydrating for me.. This is actually good. I don't ever have to bear a catheter for long unless they want an exploding bag.

As far as special diet needs it may be possible for your family to smuggle in food you like and you know works for you if you are not satisfied with hospital offerings.. Some hospital food is now catered and is decent..

Thanks to all for the continuing support and encouragement. I have learned the hard way before that advocating for yourself can sometimes get you "fired" by your doctor so I am trying to be reasonable but actively manage my healthcare. I'm just going to take it day by day...

I did bilateral May 2017, for a few days coffee and toast was all I wanted, then appetite returned. You'll be very happy with your surgery, amazing to be able to walk again

With my first THR in 2014, I had general and was nauseous. Liquid diet.

Second THR last July and first TKR 8 weeks later....general, same anesthesiologists and I was eating real food within hours of my surgery ending.

I was in the hospital for 4 days/3 nights, and the food was not great, but not terrible. I had a spinal, but very little appetite, so it didn't matter too much. The hospital had patients fill out meal sheets and you would just circle what you wanted for each meal. Visitors were allowed to bring in anything. My daughter would bring in a cooler with fruit and other tastier things, but I have hazy recollections of those early days so I don't recall what those other things might have been.

It’s edging closer to July 29th and I’m feeling more confident about my food plan. Honestly, I just want to go home as soon as possible and begin a healthy recovery eating what works best for me. I’m certain they’re going to mess with my diabetes meds and try to stick me more than necessary, but I’ve learned to say “no” and mean it! Thanks for the ongoing encouragement!

~Cynthia :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • EalingGran