TKR Update

Haven't had an oxy for 10.5 hours (last was 4.20 am). Puts me off the opioids big time

Thinking I definitely need at night maybe when I sleep and halfway thru and during the day as needed along with the Tylenol which is 6 hourly. BTW love your Kitties.

@julieskan, I just caught up with your thread. The nurses had a lot of suggestions for how to combat the constipation and the one that worked really well was Miralax. I added that to my water and it kept me regular for the first couple of weeks. Sounds like things are going well for you :)

Have a 3 day guest from Europe and think I overdid it yesterday. Determined not to again, paying the price through the night and this morning. My favorite pastimes these days are
minimal activity, PT, binge watching Game of Thrones and spending time in bed with my cat icing. Might have to do all of it downstairs - I'm a people pleaser. Might have to seriously reconsider and reverse strategy.

I'm a people pleaser. Might have to seriously reconsider and reverse strategy.
Yes. Now is the time when you and your knee are the most important things. Your guest should be waiting on you, not you looking after him/her. The timing of the visit really wasn't good.

You've had serious surgery so recently, and trying to do too much right now could set back your recovery for weeks.

If you feel that you always have to look after other people, reading this article may help you:
Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help

Yes. Now is the time when you and your knee are the most important things. Your guest should be waiting on you, not you looking after him/her. The timing of the visit really wasn't good.

You've had serious surgery so recently, and trying to do too much right now could set back your recovery for weeks.

If you feel that you always have to look after other people, reading this article may help you:
Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help

Thanks, sensible advice. Taking it easy today and tomorrow.

After overdoing it a few days back took it super easy. Had my last in home physical therapy today, next week start out patients, insurance pays for 11 sessions which seems like a weird number. I loved my therapist and feel sad to say goodbye. My flexion is 115 and extension is +2, today it's my 2nd week anniversary of my surgery and I'm hoping the worst is behind me. She gave me the no more than 10 minutes up on my feet doing at a time rule then rest and ice. I'm going to follow to the letter. I'm up to season 6 of Game of Thrones, gonna be sorry when I'm done.

@julieskan , wow, your numbers are great!!! That is an odd number of physical therapy sessions. Insurance companies are so weird! Hopefully, you can spread your sessions out to make them last longer. PTs are great at giving you homework :heehee: Your home PT sounds like a gem. That's great advice!

@julieskan , wow, your numbers are great!!! That is an odd number of physical therapy sessions. Insurance companies are so weird! Hopefully, you can spread your sessions out to make them last longer. PTs are great at giving you homework :heehee: Your home PT sounds like a gem. That's great advice!

and she made everything fun too.

I've had really debilitating restless leg syndrome for the past 2 nights. It's a good 2 or 3 hours of discomfort before I fall asleep. I'm weaning off the oxycodone using Tylenol for the most part. Would really hope for a fix on this one - it's so unexpected.

She gave me the no more than 10 minutes up on my feet doing at a time rule then rest and ice. I'm going to follow to the letter.
This lady certainly is a gem! Don't let outside PT be any different than this wonderful therapist. You are in control, well actually, your knee is in control. Don't do it if it hurts at the time, later that night or the next day. Wait a few weeks and then try it again. If it's OK, the go for it. If not, your knee still isn't ready for it.

I've had really debilitating restless leg syndrome for the past 2 nights. It's a good 2 or 3 hours of discomfort before I fall asleep.
I had that for about a week or so. My PA said to try a heating pad on my upper thigh, making sure it's no way near your knee. The heat would cause more inflammation and swelling. That's why we say to ice the knee.

I'll try the heat pad. Also emailed primary care physician, I'll let you know her advice. So strange I'd see the advertisements on TV for restless leg syndrome meds and thought it sounded ridiculous - at this point (only suffered 2 nights) a total change of heart . It's really awful and disturbs the cat too.

Got my first outside PT tomorrow, going to be interesting. My steristrips have come off (think accelerated with the thrashing of the legs). Another milestone - of sorts. @Rather how are you doing?

Remember, don't put that heating pad anywhere near your knee.

@julieskan I've had the restless leg thing going on since the first few nights after the surgery. Sometimes my leg would seem to hyperextend in some stretch that I couldn't control. Other times it was jerking and moving. You are correct about the discomfort and it always happened as I was trying, without much success, to get to sleep. I discovered what @sistersinhim did - a heating pad on my thigh. I was trying the heating pad because of a persistent deep groin ache where my leg connected to my torso. The heating pad not only relieved the ache but seems to tame the restless leg problem as well. I dread the nights. I can usually sleep for 1.5-3 hours, but wake up feeling like my leg is made of concrete. If I get up and walk around a bit, I can relieve the stiffness and then try to settle down for another short sleep segment.

I've had one not so great PT appointment and head to another tomorrow with a new person. Hopefully, yours and mine will go well.

I'll let you know how mine goes 11 am PST . Primary care said sounds like it is RLS sent a script to pharmacy I'll pick it up tomorrow. Do the heat pad tonight and hope for the best. Just slept 4 hours from late morning which was needed.

I'm mostly off the heavy meds. Nothing for 3 days and pain so far manageable with OTC Tylenol. Those unexpected curve balls are a setback.

Primary Care prescribed Ropinihole. Not sure I'm keen to use. Think tonight I'll go the heating pad route. Thank you @sistersinhim

I took a Tramadol and used the heat pad on upper thighs plus slept in a separate bedroom in case had another bout of RLS. Slept till 4, took 2 Tylenol and slept till 6.30. No thrashing, what a relief. Really hoping it's a once off anisolated incident. How was your night @Rather?

Hello @julieskan! I laughed my head off when I read your comment about the restless leg syndrome disturbing the cat. Really needed that right now. I share my bed with my service dog and two cats. And a husband but he is very accommodating in comparison to the fur babies. I have had restless leg syndrome off and on for years and it is exhausting as well as discommoding the cats and the dog. I’ve never heard the trick of using the heating pad on the upper thigh and am planning on trying that tonight!

You’ve done so well with your recovery. Can’t believe you managed to deal with a house guest so soon after surgery! Hang in there—I look forward to sharing the recovery road with you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back