Scheduled for TKR.....So much uncertainty

klinkmcbear

Country
United States United States
I'm scheduled for left TKR May 14th.

Nervous because besides all the pain in the knee (which is significant), there's also pain away from the joint that's very limiting (around the tib-fib joint). After 3 years of seeing a bunch of different doctors, PT's and other medical professionals, and trying just about every option that exists short of TKR (euflexa, synvisc, cortisone, PRP, stem cells, months and months of PT, off loading braces, archer braces, rest) .... no one is really sure what's causing the pain outside of the joint or what will fix it. The going thought is that it's referred from the joint, and that a TKR will likely address this pain too - but my case has pretty much stumped every "expert" I've gone to. The knee itself is bad, so I still need the replacement, but if it doesn't relieve the pain outside the knee, I won't be that much farther ahead.

Additionally, my x-rays don't show bone on bone - my MRI's show more of a mess, and arthroscopic surgery 8 years ago showed all grade 3 and 4 chondromalcia (far worse than the MRI from that same time frame showed). Things haven't gotten better in 8 years, that's for sure! But my surgeon is hesitant to do TKR if he doesn't see bone on bone in the x-rays. He suspects that when he gets in there, the damage will be far worse than the x-rays show - but if not, and he thinks a total replacement won't bring a fair amount of relief, he will trim the torn meniscus, clean up the fragments, smoothing things over, and close me up. So I'm going in, not even knowing if I will have the replacement, and if I do, if it will take care of the pain that is outside of the joint.

I have always been an extremely active person, and that has decreased SOOOO much in the past few years. My entire quality of life has suffered, and at this point, the options are total knee replacement or do nothing.....which is not an option. There's nothing else that I can try, and there's no doubt in my mind that I need to do this, I just wish there wasn't so much uncertainty surrounding it.

ouch. this sounds familiar. please keep us posted and hopefully the 'referred' pain will clear after the surgery. prayers..

We are mostly all anxious regarding TKR, There's such a leap of faith that everything will go well and that our problems will be resolved or at least improved. For, you, there is such uncertainty. Human bodies sometime are not straightforward. Pain can be referred to other areas unexpectedly. All you can do is to have faith your surgeon will be the right person at the right time to do the job!
Prepare for a TKR, Get everything in place (this site will help) and try not to worry. Thinking of you xxx

Anxiety is high for most people before a surgical procedure. It is interesting how your Xrays don't show bone on bone, but the MRI showed more advanced disease. Seems to be quite common. My xrays show mild OA, MRIs show total loss of articular cartilage and complex tears, and after surgery my OS said the damage was significantly more than even the MRI showed! I hope when/if you have a TKR it gives you relief from all the pain. It's hard when your quality of life has been whittled away so much. Get yourself organised for a TKR, and try to keep busy leading up the 14th. The waiting is very hard, the mind flies off in all directions imaging possible scenarios. All the best.

Thanks so much for the replies and the encouragement. My surgery is on Tuesday, and I'm keeping positive thoughts for a successful outcome, and eventually getting back to the things I love doing. I'm trying to be realistic about the different scenarios, but the reality is, there's a lot that's out of my control, and those things will go the way they go. I'll be upset if a total replacement is not done, or if it is done, but I still have significant pain - but I won't be able to wrap my ahead around those scenarios unless and until they happen. So.... I'm going in positive and optimistic, and determined to do all that is within my power for a great outcome. Thanks again :)

klinkmcbear, I am going in for TKR on 13th and like you am trying to stay positive and optimistic, following a failed PKR. The way I look at it is ...it can't be worse...the only way is up ... as the song goes.

@klinkmcbear , I was scheduled for a partial and ended up needing a full. I completely trusted my surgeon to make the best solution for my situation and he did. I think if you are comfortable with the surgeon and have a frank discussion with him about wanting a long term solution, not just a band-aid solution, he should make the right call. Best of luck for a successful surgery regardless of what you end up having done!

or if it is done, but I still have significant pain
That's not a real risk, you know.

Did you know that knee replacement is THE most performed and THE most successful surgical procedure in modern medical history? It's true! And it has the lowest complication/failure rate. Take comfort in those statistics, my friend!

I am going in for TKR on 13th and like you am trying to stay positive and optimistic, following a failed PKR. The way I look at it is ...it can't be worse...the only way is up ... as the song goes.

Good luck tomorrow. I hope the total goes great for you!

That's not a real risk, you know.

Did you know that knee replacement is THE most performed and THE most successful surgical procedure in modern medical history? It's true! And it has the lowest complication/failure rate. Take comfort in those statistics, my friend!

Thanks! Do you know of other cases where there was pain in the knee joint, but also significant pain outside of the knee (mine is right around the tib-fib joint) that was resolved by knee replacement? I'm confident that the knee joint pain and the medial pain from the torn meniscus will be lots better, but the pain in the tib-fib area is at least as bad, and no one knows for sure if that pain is being referred from the knee... or being caused by something else. If that pain is not resolved, I will still be quite limited. Thanks for your feedback.

Good luck just put yourself down for 4 weeks of doing nothing, just following the Bone smart rules Don’t push, take meds and ice

The meniscus pain will be gone and it is likely your other pain will be gone or greatly reduced. I had all kinds of different pains (including muscles) because the bad knee was affecting my gait. Once I recovered I found those went away too.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom