The Waiting Game

@Elf1 I have been working on some drawers this week. Finally getting some sleep and feeling a bit more energetic. All of those things can wait for now, don't stress. After surgery, it will be much easier.

Hi @Elf1, I just wanted to say you are braver and wiser than me. I didn’t google anything about hips pre op for fear of making myself worry even more, so I didn’t find this wonderful forum until Day 5 post op. Since then I’ve been on it almost every day! Always stories to share and new things to learn. I sit here, 4 months on, after a little visit to ODI Club, with a frankly smelly bag of re-re-re-frozen thawing beans on my knee. And NOW I find a recipe for a cool pack!!! Doh.

So I wasn’t at all well prepared. But it was fine.

I may have missed it on your thread, but do you have any arrangements for your return to work? I think that is the most important preparation you can make, to get an agreement that recovery takes as long as it takes, and negotiate a phased return for whenever you are ready, and not before.

I hope today is as good as it can be. And then you’ll be one more day closer to feeling a whole heap better.

@SarahBee and @Klassy , thanks for the pointers and kind words. Not so sure that googling was too smart other than finding this place. Trying to knock out what I can prior and the rest will have to wait. Luckily with the hubby being back full time he is quite capable of doing laundry and getting groceries. He knows what kind of goodies and stuff that I like. Got me a keeper there! :)

As far as going back to work I'm not going to worry about it, I'll get there when I get there. I worked for these folks previously when I had back surgery and came back full time earlier than I should have out of loyalty/guilt. And they proved to me a year or so later that we are all replaceable when they let me go due to contract cuts. No biggie, will take my time this time. :spin:

Hi to those playing the waiting game, it really is a game of keeping sane and not getting too hung up on an ideal time. I have been cancelled twice for my pre op once in April now May. New date for June but l'm not getting my hopes up. I honestly think working is going to get harder and l can't see myself struggling through July even though today has been a good day.
Fingers crossed that the June appointment isn't cancelled.

My friends father had his second THR less than 4 weeks ago and he was cutting his lawn yesterday !

Good things come to those tbat wait

Hopefully June stays firm, can't out this off any longer. Work is getting harder to just sit there all day and add in the commute, blah! Luckily talked my lead into letting me work from home today so I can stretch out better than I can at work. Was sitting at the table on the computer with a cushioned chair and had to get up because of pain. I'll just keep hopping around the house all day!
:happydance:

I am sorry that you have to work and be in pain. I can totally sympathize as that was me with my other hip. just keep trying to get more work from home days to ease it up a bit. I hope your June date holds.

Hello :wave:
I sure hope you don't have to wait any longer than your scheduled June date. The waiting was the very worst part I thought. My heart goes out to you. Sorry if it's already been suggested, but wondering if a heating pad works at all for you? I used one toward the end only. While I don't know that it brought a lot of relief something about it was comforting. Wishing you some relief as you engage in the waiting game.
I hope you have a nice week!
@Elf1

Hi @Elf1
I was thoroughly miserable by the time I got my hips replaced, so loads of sympathy here.:console2:
I was so sleep deprived as there was absolutely no way to get comfortable.
Believe me, I tried.
Hang on there, help is on the way.:thumb:

How strong you are but you dont need to hear that. You have a lot on your plate and I am really happy that this place affords you with a release and support and information that you need.

Thanks for all the good thoughts and suggestions. Have some various heating pads that I use at times, I agree something comforting about it. I even pulled out my old TENS unit recently and tried that, seems to annoy me more than anything. Should have stock in Ben Gay and IceeHot! Have been using the Tylenol every day to try to help take the edge off.

Just finished up with my GP a little bit ago so I have my lab slip for all the blood work he wants done and a follow-up with him the week before surgery for his clearance. Also going to send the referral to the cardiologist to get me cleared through them so at least things are moving forward.

Got a new foldable cane today so I have it to travel. Going to Wyoming a few weeks before surgery for my best friend's daughters wedding! That will be a fun, long weekend and the gals will be great at keeping my mind busy.

This place is definitely awesome and don't think I would be this relaxed without it. You folks ROCK! :loveshwr:

Hi @Elf1
Wishing you comfort as you wait out the final weeks.
I hope you have a lovely weekend.
Happy Saturday!

@Josephine not exactly sure how to explain. Seems like when I use the TENS it doesn't really do much for the pain, kind of gives me pins and needles kind of feeling and when I stop it seems like the pain comes on double, like it stirs it up.

@Layla I'm hanging in there, today was actually not too bad a day. There's a lot to be said for hanging out with old friends, chatting about everything and anything, eating good food and laughing a lot! Had our annual Mother's Day get together today and had a blast even though it was cold and rainy.
:wave:

Hi @Elf1
Sounds like you found something fun to do on a cold rainy day. Hopefully it served as a distraction for
ongoing discomfort and pain. It's good to hear you enjoyed your time with friends.

Wondering if you noticed this article in the Library on TENS machines?
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/tens-machines-for-pain-management.9770/

I'm guessing you read the instructions thoroughly but on the slim chance you're impulsive like me and assume you know how something works just by looking at it, or glancing at the picture on the box (ME) :heehee:
you may glean some insight from the info here. I've never used one myself but it is peaking my interest.
Hope you sleep well tonight!

@Josephine not exactly sure how to explain. Seems like when I use the TENS it doesn't really do much for the pain, kind of gives me pins and needles kind of feeling and when I stop it seems like the pain comes on double, like it stirs it up.
You should change the modality of it. Each TENS had about 4-10 types of impulse and you should try them all until you find one that suits you better. Then, when you start it up, change the volume until it's comfortable. Because another thing you might had done is to start it with the setting too high.

@Layla I'll read the article and see if there's any pointers I can pick up. My TENs is pretty old so there might be something with that. I had a med tech show me how to work it when I first got it.

@Josephine I've changed the settings and hit all the volume settings just don't seem to get one that's good for me. Again, could be that it's just old. Will keep trying various options to get me through till surgery.

Happy Mothers Day to all the Moms out there, that includes fur baby Moms as well!
:puppysmooze::kittykiss:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks