Depression/post-op blues - open for all

Greetings everyone from Texas. So thankful I found this place. I now know that what I am experiencing is shared by others, thank goodness. I am 7 weeks post op. I thought I was doing ok.. having a lot of restless legs at night, and recovery is slow for me as I couldn't hardly walk prior to this for almost 2 years and bent over limping. It wasn't until last week I began feeling very blue and it has become pronounced this weekend.

All I can think about is how this is the doorway to the last phase of my life (I’m a whopping 62)
I had my 55th birthday during this recovery period and feel this same way.

I had a horrible experience with the doctor's staff and there was a lot of confusion for me regarding important decisions right after my surgery (I was only one day overnight in the hospital). Confusion over when the Silverlon bandage should be removed; the office staff told me to wean off of pain medication after only ONE WEEK!!! I don't understand why I was treated the way I was.

If anyone knows of a thread here for posting their doctor experiences, please share. Anyways I think there are multiple factors for my blues and really do not feel ready to return to work. My blood pressure is spiking.

@RitaAnn So sorry you are experiencing post op blues. There are lots of reasons this happens but certainly your experience with post op care doesn't help.
If anyone knows of a thread here for posting their doctor experiences, please share.
Please start your own thread in the recovery area. That is the best place to discuss your concerns. There are plenty of other members who will share similar experiences with you on your thread.

Hi @Trailgirl Sorry you are feeling so awful. I expect the vast majority of us feel like this at some point and for varying lengths of time but it can and will get better. The reasons for the low mood are many, varied and individual and for myself, I too had a wretched hospital experience, which has since been escalated up the hospital hierarchy and changes have taken place. Enough about that. It's probably less than 2 weeks since I was so low I wished I had broken my silly neck rather than my leg and not lived to tell the tale. What's changed? I suppose reaching the "12 week watershed" of taking precautions against dislocation, which was drummed into me so hard, I was frightened in case my ankles crossed accidentally while I slept and I pushed the new joint out of place!!! What that tells me that the support that should be in place from our medical/nursing teams is simply not there. My other problem had been continuing and unresolving pain just about everywhere in the affected leg. My GP has given me a very low dose of amitryptiline, assuming it to be nerve pain as nothing else was working. Bingo! It hasn't gone completely but all of a sudden at 12 weeks 2 days out, I have able to join my local gym (but not yet had an induction)
Apologies that all this blurb is about me but I'm really trying to reassure you that things can suddenly and massively improve in the blink of an eye. 2 weeks ago I thought I was doomed to a life with a permanent limp. Now, I'm relishing the thought of real exercise once more. I do hope this can be the same for you and very soon. At 7 weeks only, I'm sure your Eureka time will soon come and I look forward to hearing about it. In the meantime, keep coming here to offload and get companionship. :friends:

the support that should be in place from our medical/nursing teams is simply not there.
Hi @S00zd ! Boy can I ever relate to this statement. I wish I had known about this site WAY BACK summer of 2018 when this saga began.. or actually that was the moment, when I went summer camping at the lake that I could not go on without some type of surgery. Here in US it is the same, I had a completely awful experience with my doctor/doctor's staff..with lots of confusion

I am now at 8 weeks so I didn't know there was a 12 week watershed, but good to know. No apologies ..:flwrysmile: I think I have spent a whole thread here with my ventings and rants and has helped me tremendously. So glad you are doing better! The forums here has been a life saver of support here!

I kinda was feeling ok and then out of nowhere had some blues and ups and downs. I am firing my outpatient PT this week as I think they were making me worse! I am afraid they will tear my new implant off the bone the way they were having me twist my leg. Going to stick with walking and simple things at my own pace. So yeah, there definitely seems to be a lot of confusion and disinformation out there and never felt supported at all from my doctor/staff..its like.. ok, your done, NEXT...:good-bad:

Last edited:
I am firing my outpatient PT this week as I think they were making me worse!
Many of our members report this. Unfortunately most PT have a checklist of generic exercises that they want to tick off. Many of the exercises have little to do with hips. Walking is the best - but not to excess. Onward and upward! :chuckmarch:

Had my right hip replaced using anterior method on 3/18/19 Was on a pink cloud for awhile because didn't really have much in the way of pain and was able to get on my feet rather quickly. Before the surgery my hip was degrading daily and I was slugging through life just to get to the surgery. This week I find myself getting a little low and that baffles me but I think it is because I'm coming to grips with the fact that I can only do so much and I've had to slow down in my recovery. I was doing too much the first few days and had to pull back. I've met some milestones - I can put on my own socks!! And I was able to trim my toenails (finally). And I can lift my leg up and over into the bed. But I find that I can walk and stand only for short periods and then I need to get back to the recliner. I got so used to walking in a way that protects the hip that I still do it so I have to be very focused and deliberate when I walk to not do that. Breaking that habit.

Before surgery, my life got smaller and smaller as I compensated for my hip pain. So right now, my life still needs to be kind of small but I need to remind myself that it is temporary. Before surgery and without surgery, my limitations would have been permanent. What I'm going through now is temporary and I need to take joy in the small victories. I'm thinking that is why I find myself getting a little low.

Hello all. The blues have been fairly constant for me since my pinned hip started failing. At the beginning it was more anxiety than sadness but now 2 weeks post op it is almost out of body. I cry easily and usually don’t have the slightest idea what triggered it. I think it is partially Vitamin D. I’ve been inside for months. I’m going to put a chair in our garage that can easily be moved to driveway and start inviting friends to come sit outside with me. I had lots of visitors in October, but less people even know about the THR. We have been isolated in the winter months because of ice and my inability to walk for a month. I dream of shopping at Target. I know, I need to dream bigger lol. Just wanted to say hello to all who have found their way here. I am trying to focus on the temporary nature of this healing phase, but I have a hard time believing this will ever end.

Hi @RPP
Glad to see you got this done.
Post op blues are certainly a Real thing after this surgery and I know what a bad place I was in prior to hip replacement:blackcloud:
Alot for our bodies and minds to adjust to.
Do start a thread and you will find lots of help and support come your way!
We are on your side.:console2:

Depression is an evil thing. It creeps up on you in the middle of the night when you are dealing with vicious leg spasms for the umpteenth night, very little sleep, whole lot of pain, when the voice in your head says “this is never going to end, so you might as well just accept it and learn to,live with it”... I am 6 weeks out RTHR, and because of non stop almost rain, pain constant, can’t take pain meds, stuck in 4 walls, not sleeping, eating, just here. Physical therapy i thought would help me get focused on the light at the end of the tunnel, help me with painful hip flexors, and they did, except I started exercises too early after 2nd visit, and at home I stretched hip flexors too much, now am right back where I was. My body is tired, my brain comes up,with all kinds of off the wall things, but mostly I feel like I caused this setback after Pt helped me, now it is my fault I cannot hardly move leg due to pain. How much can one person handle on this ride? Husband is wonderful, but they can only empathize with those of us who have been through this. I go to,surgeon today for injection in right hip due to bursitis caused by hip replacement now am wondering if I can even get in the car, much less on the table and lay on my left side. Oh, I also burned myself with a “bed buddy” right beside my incision, blisters too, 2nd degree burns. I know people say what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, just not so,sure about that anymore.

I had some depression after each of my surgeries (both knees both hips) but after my hip infection after my last surgery it was really bad. I couldn't stop crying. (so not like me). My PC even suggested an antidepressant. I rode it out but still have my days especially now when I am dealing with hopefully a mild superficial infection.

It's hard not to think of what we could have differently when we are faced with complications in all aspects of our life...but the past is certainly the past and I truly believe that the best we can do is to have hope...have our well deserved pity parties..and then help our bodies to strengthen by fostering a positive attitude.
Stress is terrible on our immune systems.
Hugs to all who are struggling!:friends:

Good morning all,

Leg spasms are are part of my all night activities. 12 hours of constant knee jerk pulling, but last night was different. My husband, God love him stayed up with me, through the tears, the constant walking, the massaging, hand holding crying and wondering what this is. He now understands exactly what I have been going through all these weeks. I have not wanted him to do that before since he is 70, gets up at 4am to go to work in Charlotte, NC, and gets back home by 4:30 in the afternoon. But this time I was completely not between the ditches as they say, but in the ditches. I needed help.

As I have said before all opioids have been discontinued over a week ago. I went to surgeon on Monday for cortisone injection in other hip, and for my second last visit with him. He had prescribed me Lorazepam 1 mg which did nothing. He has now given me a prescription for Flexeril 10 mg to be taking 2-3 times a day.

Now I understand that our medication should be taken as prescribed, but my question is two-fold. First, do I take it 2 times or 3 times? My body and mind need rest and sleep, and if anyone here has any experience with Flexeril please advise so I can get the best effects from it.

Please call the office of your OS for dosing instructions and any other questions you have in regard to prescribed medication.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone really ought to tackle the post-op depression and the pre-op one. There should be those health care professionals doing just that--looking after the psychological because it affects the physical outcome. I am afraid I am going to suffer with this as I did with post-partum depression and am now dealing with pre-op anxiety and depression.I tend to keep to myself and if provoked get angry so I feel I will be my worst enemy. I also tend not to take any help because there is a deep division within me about independence and assuming all responsibility.When I hear from your posts it makes me feel so sad that this is happening to you and I wish I could do something.

Keep in mind @mikeycat that this thread is a safe place to vent as post op blues are very common...and we definitely want to address and comfort people through it.
Most all who vent here move on fairly quickly through their depression...
Major surgery is hard on our emotions and our bodies but we definitely come through it better people...in my case, with a new empathy for those who have no recourse for their pain and a prevalent feeling of gratitude for all the little things we often take for granted!

@Trailgirl, @SOOzd, @RPP, @Daffodil1, I think you are doing the right thing --listen to yourself. I have had an excellent PT for the last 10 years and it is because of her I have lasted so long without hip replacements. She is of the ideology that simple exercises with no pain are the way-- similar to a method mentioned here--minimalist-- not the extreme 'sport' type of exercises which in my case and surely others as well got us into this place to begin with.She says I have to relearn to walk correctly as I have been compensating for years. The body will develop new pathways --proprioceptors will be awry after surgery. The depression is a stranglehold and so absorbs our energy needed to move to another step. I dont have the answers as I am in the same position albeit pre-op not post-op but perhaps all can take comfort here knowing you are all not alone and others have such great advice and tips and the support is tremendous. I am holding all of you in my thoughts

@mikeycat
I wish you wouldn't assume you're going to suffer depression after your surgery just because you suffered post partum depression. It feels like you're setting yourself up, which understandably would be easy enough, given your history. Most of the emotional stuff people suffer post op seems to be what I'd call a blue mood. It's normally fleeting also, not a stronghold. At least that's what I've noticed in my 22 months here.

You mention you normally "keep to yourself" but seem to be pretty comfortable and open here which will really help you in the long run. As far as being independent and not liking help, most of those tending to you will be people who love you and want to help in an effort to keep you comfortable and guide you as you're moving forward. Don't deprive them of the opportunity to show you love and give back what I'm assuming you've given them in life. Please know we're here for you and will continue to be as you move toward surgery and through recovery.

It is easy here to express stuff as there is the comfort of anonymity.
Yes but more importantly - you are sharing this space with people who have either already gone through the journey or are going through it with you. Input is based on real time experiences - not just information leaflets.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GordieO
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom