Revision TKR Hmm. Not thrilled with the revision yet

Other people’s comments, the bane of our existence! :doh:It was one of the biggest shocks of my recovery.

Jockette I heard from a very good friend "so how long has it been? 9 weeks and your laying down icing? Shouldn't you be better?" I thought my head would pop off my shoulders. I told her "you have no idea what this is like or how little energy I truly have." She meant to encourage me, instead it did the opposite. People don't get it.

So this is my encouraging post to all of us recovering - hang in there, our friends don't get it. Rest, elevate, medicate (if necessary) and ice.

You have good days and not so good days - that is the life of recovery I've decided. Luckily more almost good day than bad, usually!! Not quite sure what was up with the knee / leg last night. I couldn't get comfortable no matter what I did. When I finally got comfortable I had a charlie horse!!! Anyway it was a long night. This morning my knee just felt kind of weak. Then when I took a step it felt like I was going to fall. Yikes for sure. I didn't fall, but I put up the cane and am using the walker today. Going to have a restful day which includes elevation and ice.

I realize no one cares if I'm using a cane or a walker except me. When on the cane I still sometimes wobble - with the walker I stand properly and walk properly. I figure that's more important and looks. Gonna be a long recovery - I just keep reminding myself.

I really liked my walker. I felt quite secure with it. And I used my cane for several months, longer than some people thought I should.

When on the cane I still sometimes wobble - with the walker I stand properly and walk properly. I figure that's more important and looks.
You are so right! Keep on using the walker until you can walk properly without it.

So I saw the surgeon today - my 10 week appt. Color me a little frustrated with everything. I'll probably ramble on here, sorry!

I had my list of questions - and he's always open to questions, which is good. But - don't you just hate a but? - but he was very quick to point out all of the work this knee has had and we're kind of in uncharted territory here. And since I'm a scare maker I need to consider that. My blank look confused him.

I'm to elevate / ice as much as possible. Also to stretch the knee / leg as much as possible. Toss in a short walk. Keep using the cane and walker for stability but work hard on extension. This knee is new and still quite swollen so I won't have the ROM I want. (Like I don't know that) When I ask about pain medication - goodness me you'd have thought I'd had numerous refills. I was told no more pain med refills. I was to go to a pain management doctor. I said no - you just said its swollen & hot & I've had one refill in 10 weeks. (Not sure why I was so bold, but I was.) He agreed and gave me 60 pills. (I just mentally need to know I have them for when nothing else is controlling the pain.) I measured and 8 & 103. I frankly thought I would have better numbers. Are these 'normal?'

I guess I just wanted some validation of the hard work I've put in thus far - and didn't get it. Probably silly but think that would have helped. With this recovery I've really been very conscientious about my recovery, and certainly cautious to not over do. He didn't want to see me until Nov. I don't know - guess I just wanted more.

As stated, sorry for the ramble. Guess what? My knee is sore so I'm going to lay down ice/elevate and keep on keeping on.

I measured and 8 & 103. I frankly thought I would have better numbers. Are these 'normal?'
They're OK for 10 weeks post-op. As long as you're making progress, it doesn't matter if it's slow.
Don't forget that ROM can continue to increase for a year, or even longer.
Tortoise forward.PNG

I guess I just wanted some validation of the hard work I've put in thus far - and didn't get it. Probably silly but think that would have helped. With this recovery I've really been very conscientious about my recovery, and certainly cautious to not over do. He didn't want to see me until Nov. I don't know - guess I just wanted more.
Although it would have been nice if he'd said so, I think the fact that he doesn't want to see you until November is proof that he's very happy with your progress. If he'd been concerned, he would have wanted to see you sooner than that.

I know You feel, you want some sort of validation for all this hard work with your knee. I’m very lucky my doctors good and not stingy with the pain medicine. I think you’re doing well for 10 weeks you should turn the corner here soon 12 weeks was it for me I started feeling like my old self keep doing what you’re doing

I think your numbers are very fine, especially considering how much that knee has been through.

Surgeons are great for installing our knee’s hardware, but not so much for encouragement, though there are a few exceptions.

That’s where Bonesmart comes in!

Hang out here with us.
Bonesmart has a wealth of advice, information and support.
We will offer helpful suggestions, :idea:

Cheer your accomplishments :happydance:

And send hugs when you are feeling down. :console2:

We care!

Thanks guys - I've really been down on myself since the appointment. Tomorrow's another day and I'll put on my big girl panties and have a great day.

@eaglemom you are Doing great! My ROM was behind where you are with much less having been done to my knee. You will be fine, this is not a quick processes.

Touching base with a question for everyone. I'm slowly doing several gentle stretches daily. I also am using the recumbent bike. I only started on the bike last week. Most days I just rock back and forth - occasionally I'm able to make a full revolution. I have a 6 minute limit. I've not been good about outside walking as our weather has either been raining or burning hot.

Last night I have a rough night. My thigh was hurting so badly I didn't know what to do. It felt like it had a huge big knot in it. I ended up getting massage cream and just rubbing it for quite awhile. Ended up taking a pain pill as it just wasn't getting any better. Today its sore - not too bad, but about 2 inches to the right of the middle of the thigh its down right sore. To the touch sore, sore constantly. Also at the bottom end of my incision and down a tiny bit that is super sore. (And has been since recovery) Any idea's? Frankly yesterday I didn't do much, and didn't walk outside or even do the bike. Its so weird these random spots, or they seem random to me.

Hopefully we can all have a calm healing pain free week.

Unfortunately this recovery has pains here and there and sometimes it seems anywhere. To have them pop up in different places is completely normal. Aggravating and disheartening, but to be expected. Sometimes doing something different will cause a different pain area. Sometimes you don't do anything different and still hurt in a different place. Please don't worry. If you do become really concerned, then call your doctor.

This is totally muscular pain - not the big quad muscle but a smaller one beside it.

You are totally correct - things hurt for no reason sometimes. And weather plays a big part also. Thanks for the reassurance.

As time goes on you'll have less weather pain. If the pressure outside drops quickly I can still gets twinges, but nothing like it was shortly out of surgery. You'll find yours improving greatly.

Another week into recovery. If I were totally honest I'm not seeing any changes, and that's frustrating. One of my friends (whom has never had a surgery) told me I needed to get used to this because it just might be my ' new normal.' Holy smokes that upset me. I don't want this as anything other than a point at which I get better from. She didn't mean to be hurtful - just honest with me.

I am still having lots and lots of muscular thigh pain. With the other 3 replacements I don't recall having this much pain this long. I think I've used the cane so long now that I really don't know how to walk without it. So I've tried walking around the house a very little bit without the cane. I have a very definite big limp followed by a wobble. I know - use the cane.

I've been on our recumbant bike several times. I was able to do a full revolution several times. But not in the last week, I just can't go completely around. I am trying to no be too active but I'm not really successful at that. Mentally I think I've told myself I 'should' be doing things, but in my heart I know I'm over doing. I do know that standing isn't my friend, so I've tried to adjust the amount of time I'm standing at one time. (Like cooking dinner.) After I stand then the back hurts then I'm upset!!! I know many of you have gone through the same thing.

Extremely tight hamstring, knee stiffness and muscular thigh pain are where I am at during this recovery.

I know how well meaning comments can upset us. Been there.

I also understand the back pain. :console2:

Because you had a revision, it's likely the doctor used longer posts in your upper and lower leg. If so, it is possible the thigh pain you're having is post tip pain. I had never heard of it until I was experiencing it and asked my OS about it. Have you asked your OS about it? I would definitely bring up the possibility with him as it is something that many experience. My doctor told me most people who have this particular pain do get better as the bone fills in around the post. Most people are fine within a few months, some take longer, so I'd look into the possibility that the pain you're having is caused by the post tip.

Oh, that's excellent advice. I know that I do indeed have longer posts on top and on the bottom. I'll be asking that question, thanks.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom