TKR Schpooko's Recovery

Oh dear Schpooko that sounds awful but good that you seem to have recovered ok. I'm just 2 days behind you in recovery and starting to feel a bit more normal. Still painful if i do too much but recovery with the i and e is getting quicker . So here's a toast to a continued recovery in 2019 for you.

beachy, Newboots, Celle, gecko, sistersinhim, Jockette.
Happy New Year and thank you all for your well wishes. So you think my story would just stop there. When I do things, I do things. Sunday after falling I went to ice and elevate and rest. That night around 12:30 a.m. I was hit with the stomach bug. Oh! my!!! If you want to lose weight this will do it for you. I was in the bathroom on and off for 12 hours.

I can know what you felt like @beachy when you had this. And I your husband had an ailment too! I missed the New Year's Eve Party on Bonesmart. I did not even ring in the new year here at home. What I wipe out of a illness.

Well, back on the mend. I could not imagine having something like that in the early stages of recovery.

As far as the knee, it's great. I don't even notice it anymore. I know it's only three months but it's really good even after the fall.

Best wishes to all Bonesmarties for this New Year, Be well, Carol

@schpooko - Thank you for the New Year wishes, and a Happy New Year to you, too.

I hope you're starting to feel better from your stomach upset. That's a miserable thing to have. :console2:

Unfortunately, I've had to remove the multiple tags at the start of your post. We ask that you don't use multiple tags like that, because it makes it hard for people using small devices. All they see initially is a list of tags.
Here is an article that explains how to use tags appropriately:
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

@Celle Sorry for the confusion I was just hoping there was was a way to write to everyone at one time. Thanks.

Most of the people you tagged are already reading your thread, so you probably don't need to tag them.

Most of the people you tagged are already reading your thread, so you probably don't need to tag them.
You can just mention people’s names without the tag, we’ll be reading your posts. I think most people read all the posts, I always did!

This is so true. Almost all of us read all the new posts.

That is great that you are having such a wonderful recovery! Not having that feeling of a "stiff new knee" is what I am looking forward to, although it will be knee(s).

So sorry you had the "bug" but sounds like you are doing well now.

Happy New Year from My Home to Yours!

@MissViv18 Happy New Year to you and your family too! Thank you for the well wishes. I am feeling a bit better today but still eating very light and very tired.

The stiffness goes away with time. I don't have anymore problems with stiffness and again I took the Bonesmart way of no PT. My leg does not really swell anymore either. It does get tired by end of day only if I have been on it all day. I know you will do just fine with this recovery. And remember you are much more ahead of me... I only did one knee. I am not ready any time soon to do the left one even though it is bone on bone. You are the brave one here :yes!: so carry on, my friend. Here's to no more stiffness in 2019!!! :yay::yay::yay::yay:

@Newboots Thanks so much for the well wishes. You are doing great in recovery. You are right on track and you have had two TKR's. You and the other Bonesmarties that have had the two are much more braver than I will ever be. I need the other done but it does not bother me so I will wait. I want to fully recover from this one and maybe in a year or two (knee willing) I will do that one to. I would like to lose some weight which will help me a lot. Here's to a great painfree, stiff free New Year to you....

Hi Carol! When you can recover from a fall like you had it shows what great progress you've made in your recovery.

That stomach virus is a tough one. You feel so drained (literally LOL) for days after. It's all behind you now :heehee:.
My knee is still tight at times. First thing when I wake up. I walk like the tin man then it loosens. It did it today while shopping so I came home. It's still early for us.

Well, glad you're feeling better knee-wise and tummy-wise.
Happy 2019!

Hello, Bonesmarties... I did not know where to post my question so I decided to post here... I am 6 month post-op and I am going to the podiatrist tomorrow. My OS has me taking 4 500 mgs. Amoxicillian an hour before I go to the appt. Did any here go to the podiatrist after tkr and have to take antibiotics? How about the Dentist? What is your OS's protocol for these kinds of appts. I am just a bit nervous about all of this, terrified of an knee infection. Any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks...

HI @schpooko - I've moved your post, above, from the Pre-Op area and put it into your own recovery thread.

If you have questions, about your recovery, do continue to post them here. We can always change the thread title, to reflect your new question, if you choose.

Between us, the staff read all new posts daily, so your new question won't be missed.

So, to answer your question:
First, what are you going to have done by your podiatrist? If it's a procedure where your skin will be opened, I think you'd be wise to take the antibiotics.
If it's just preparing for new insoles, then probably not.

There has been some worrying publicity lately where I live (NZ) about poor hygiene practices in some manicure and pedicure salons - and I'd be wary of going there at the moment.

As far as dental procedures, there's no need to have them done under antibiotic cover:
Dental antibiotics: Evidence insufficient to recommend prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures

I was about 3 months post op and needed an ingrown toenail removed before it became infected. I asked my OS about taking antibiotics and he said no. He said the podiatrist will know if I have an underlying infection and treat me accordingly. The procedure went well, technique was sterile and no infection. I followed the podiatrist’s post op instructions for 2 weeks and saw him at 3 weeks to make sure it was healing well. No problems at all.
My OS is one who will give antibiotics for 1 year post op for dental procedures. After that he leaves it up to the patient and dentist.

Hi, all. I have a few questions for anyone who can answer regarding exercise. My OS said he would prefer me not to use my knee for any kind of kneeling. I want to lose some weight so I was wondering if there is anyone out there who is using some sort of exercise program which does not entail going down on the floor. I cannot get up unless I go on my knees.

I would love to do crunches for abs but how do I get down on the floor or is there another way to do these? What kind of diet plan have you used? I have a recumbent bike down in the basement and a treadmill so I can do something like that if anyone has any suggestion starting a program that is on CD that I can follow? Any suggestions would be helpful... Thanks Carol

@schpooko
I haven't been able to kneel on one of my knees for some years but that hasn't stopped me from exercising in the gym or going to Pilates.
My one bad knee always stays straight when getting up,or down. So I look like a demented spider and it's very inelegant but where there is a will there is a way.

I have a recumbent bike down in the basement and a treadmill
Gee, if that's the case, why are you worrying? You're all set to go! You're 6 months out so set yourself a time table and just get on with it! I suggest 10-20 minutes each day, gradually increasing as you feel able and also a calory controlled diet. What could be simpler?

(except NO resistance on the bike and very low incline on the t/mill)

I've also moved this thread into the TKR recovery forum

Hi @schpooko
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. Don't start new threads.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

My OS said he would prefer me not to use my knee for any kind of kneeling. I want to lose some weight so I was wondering if there is anyone out there who is using some sort of exercise program which does not entail going down on the floor. I cannot get up unless I go on my knees.

I would love to do crunches for abs but how do I get down on the floor or is there another way to do these?
I think the best thing you can do is to start walking on a fine day and using the bike or the treadmill when the weather is bad.

Start in gradually and increase the amount of time by small amounts.

Don't start a new programme with a hiss and a roar. It's important to build up gradually, to avoid stressing your knee and the rest of your body.

While crunches are good for your abs, they won't help you lose weight. What you need is something that exercises your whole body.

I believe that @KarriB did well by just increasing the amount of walking she did each day.

If you want to work on your abs without getting on the floor, purchase an exercise ball. They are inexpensive and you can do a wide variety of exercises on them that target your abs. Just Google it and you'll find something that suits you.

upload_2019-4-8_19-38-10.png

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom