Two Bad Knees

barzeen

Country
United States United States
Question: Anyone have 2 bad knees and have one done and opt not too do the other?
just trying to get a grip on the anxiety and thinking maybe fix one and the other wont be so bothersome... curious if I'm really grasping or maybe someone has ever chose this option and been ok with it... i realize damage etc are deciding factors just wondering... ty

I need both knees done but the left will have to wait a couple of years and support the right for now.

I am fairly sure my left knee and other body parts are not going to be happy with me as I rely on them during the right knee's recovery ... we will see. Don't second guess yourself. I am sure you researched what you have planned, now go with it!

I may be a rare case, but that actually did happen to me.

My arthritis was just in the patella area, so my surgeon only did a partial. I was not bone on bone in either knee. Before surgery my other knee felt just about as bad as the one that got replaced, but since surgery it’s been almost fine. I’m really surprised.

Hi. I had a bad fall and the ensuing xrays revealed my left knee had more pain but less damage then my right knee which had no real symptoms at all.
So I had a LTKR and all was normal for 2 years. I "forgot" about my knee problem. Then on holiday one day I was on the way to the airport when my right knee buckled and puffed up. We were traveling from Argentina to Brazil enjoying a wonderful trip and so unaware of how tough it would become.

That was 6 months ago. Every day since then has been restricted by pain, swelling and knee instability. My life was completely governed by whether I could do something with my knee like this. I became almost unable to walk.

I am now 14 days post op. My RTKR is less painful now than it was pre surgery. If I had known how life would become so restricted I never would have waited for this surgery. The last 6 months were certainly not worth it. I'm very grateful that this surgery is available and so thankful I have had it. I can now look forward to a future without pain and disability. Best wishes for your future.

I had a reconstruction on my left knee and before that a lifetime of knee pain. I just had my right knee replaced two days ago. I went in thinking it would be a partial but the surgeon found other problems, so it turned out to be a total, which I consented for him to do prior to survery. It's too early to tell how it will affect my left knee. Doc gave me a cortisone shot in the left knee last week because I was worried about how it would hold up taking on all the load during recovery. I am fairly certain I will be replAcing the left knee soon, but I want to see how the right total replacement recovery goes first. Hope that helps

I had my RTKR on on Nov 29. Both of my knees are arthritic but the right was worse. Even going to the hospital that morning I questioned whether I really needed this done. After surgery my OS said, “that was a bad knee, no, a really bad knee”. I think I had just learned to live with the discomfort and limitations.
I just had a cortisone injection in the left knee this morning because we leave for a cruise in 2 days. I hope to get a year or so out of leftie. But the new knee feels so good that I know I will not suffer with the pain for too long. And I won’t be nearly as anxious about another replacement.

Gia, thank you for sharing that you were doubting surgery even the day of. Mine is tomorrow and I’m in that same boat! But to answer your question @barzeen, my right knee is like my left. Bone on bone. I’m getting the left done first since it’s the most painful and before year end I will have the right done as well. I’ve FINALLY met my deductible so knee 2 will be 100% covered. My Dr. Doesn’t like to do bi-lateral in situations like mine when I can’t be away from my job for too long. I can swing 4-5 weeks now and 4-5 weeks later so this is what we’ll do. Will your doctor do bi-lateral?

Thank you both.. Hope you have a wonderful trip Gia... and successful "procedure" Corp...I wouldn't even consider the bi-lateral not that it was offered... had pre-testing this morning.. so far so good for 2 weeks from today...just praying it will buy me time before I have to do the left knee... however i'll know better after going thru this one.. normally not a whiner.. but ughhhh this one has the anxiety thru the roof..lol..best wishes and thanks for your input...

@barzeen - I've edited your post, above, as we prefer you not to use text speak abbreviations - such as ty, u, and b4 - here on BoneSmart.

@gia2cats , I am in the same situation as you, nursing my left knee along with cortisone shots and @CorpHippie , I doubted having surgery, too. The week before when I couldn't take any Motrin helped to reinforce that something had to be done. I went in for a partial and ended up with a total, so it was definitely time. You're doing the right thing and I am praying for you to have a successful surgery! ☺

My right knee was far more painful than my left although xrays indicated they were both bone on bone. The right knee started bothering me a few years before surgery but my left one started acting up maybe 9 months or so before my right TKR. I really wanted a bilateral. My surgeon refused. He said we'll do the right one and it might be that the left one is less of an issue after you are not limping so bad. We can always do it a few months later if it is still hurting. I was not happy. I was sure it would not matter much and he admitted it was a question of when -not if - for the second knee. However it has been over 20 months since my right TKR and the left knee is still pretty good. Not perfect. It hurts a little now and then, particularly in cold weather. But overall it's functional. I went to Florida in January and hiked miles and miles and neither knee held me back. I'm pretty sure it will need surgery eventually but it's good for now. Way better than the months leading up to right knee surgery. So you never know.

Funny you should ask , could have almost flipped a coin as to which on to do first, Left knee was worse,, shorty after replacement surgery on the left, my right one got much better,, I did have it replaced a year later.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back