THR New here-with new hip!<

Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Hi, @Josephine

1. Antero-lateral

2. At rest, 3-5, walking 5-6

3. I take paracetamol 1 gram qds I was taking ibuprofen 400mg at the same time but it wasn't helping any more or any less and obviously it's not good to take NSAIDS for long. I did get Omeprazole to cover me but have stopped them too. I didn't take any opiates or codeine-based analgesic post surgery because of the quite drastic effect they have on my bowel and that was my choice, it was offered. So, paracetamol it is but I'm 10 weeks out now anyway.

4. Not really icing.

5. I elevate the leg mostly in the evening and I can stretch out on the sofa.

6. Very active. I do all the housework except for vacuuming because I really can't manage that. I'm not driving yet so we go shopping together and then my Husband puts the shopping away, which he always has done. During the day, I'm up and doing a lot of the time (also because my bot is very tender to sit on for long) However, I have no swelling anywhere.

7.Not doing any physio (formal). I got 3 x10 minute sessions after I'd gone home and then it was a case of because I could walk up and down a consulting room without crutches I was discharged.

Apart from walking, which I do every day for as far as I can manage (sometimes ½ an hour, sometimes an hour simply because I'm slow so it's not necessarily all that far, perhaps a mile each way) I do lateral leg raises, forward and backward leg swings,squats with me leaning with my back against the wall and on-the- spot marches. All those 10 times each and 3 times per day.

7.Not doing any physio (formal). I got 3 x10 minute sessions after I'd gone home and then it was a case of because I could walk up and down a consulting room without crutches I was discharged. Apart from walking, which I do every day for as far as I can manage (sometimes ½ an hour, sometimes an hour simply because I'm slow so it's not necessarily all that far, perhaps a mile each way) I do lateral leg raises, forward and backward leg swings,squats with me leaning with my back against the wall and on-the- spot marches. All those 10 times each and 3 times per day.
I did ask for this to be a list and not an essay!

I did ask for this to be a list and not an essay!
Sorry that one paragraph appears to be too much. You did open your post with "as much detail as possible." :shrug:

:doh: Okay!

2. At rest, 3-5, walking 5-6
That's rather high for 10½ weeks out.
3. I take paracetamol 1 gram qds.
I was taking ibuprofen 400mg at the same time but it wasn't helping any more or any less and obviously it's not good to take NSAIDS for long.
I did get Omeprazole to cover me but have stopped them too.
I didn't take any opiates or codeine-based analgesic post surgery because of the quite drastic effect they have on my bowel and that was my choice, it was offered. So, paracetamol it is but I'm 10 weeks out now anyway.
Okay, but it's not really working for you, is it?
5. I elevate the leg mostly in the evening and I can stretch out on the sofa.
You never said how long you are elevating for. Elevate for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
6. Very active. I do all the housework except for vacuuming because I really can't manage that. I'm not driving yet so we go shopping together and then my husband puts the shopping away, which he always has done. During the day, I'm up and doing a lot of the time (also because my bot is very tender to sit on for long) However, I have no swelling anywhere.
That swelling is probably post-op pain and a sign that you should consider a short period of codeine.
7. Not doing any physio (formal). I got 3 x10 minute sessions after I'd gone home and then it was a case of because I could walk up and down a consulting room without crutches I was discharged.
No do NO exercises. None at all!
Apart from walking, which I do every day for as far as I can manage (sometimes ½ an hour, sometimes an hour simply because I'm slow so it's not necessarily all that far, perhaps a mile each way)

I do lateral leg raises, forward and backward leg swings,squats with me leaning with my back against the wall and on-the- spot marches. All those 10 times each and 3 times per day.
How many times must I say it - NO EXERCISES! Except walking and then, only in moderation.

@S00zd Try easing off all that exercise and see if this settles. If you are very active with daily activities the exercise is putting even more stress on that new hip. Rest, ice and elevate and see if this eases.

Happy Sunday to you!
I'll bet it is difficult for you being the active grandma you've described yourself as, to take it slow.
Also, once you've overdone it, it can take awhile for things to calm down. I truly believe if you set all the
activity / exercising aside for now, and only spend a reasonable amount of time walking, your pain will resolve. Patience can be so hard to come by early into recovery, I understand.
I hope you have a great Sunday and pleasant week.
@S00zd

@S00zd just a bit of an adjustment to your activity level for a short time. It will all mean a lifetime of pain free living and getting back to everything you love to do!

I second what Jacey said.... it’s the first few weeks that can be trying. Once healing begins every day improvement takes you to a different level until one day you forget all about it....:yahoo:and it’s was all worth it.

Take it slow and easy... don’t over do... walking is the best exercise. Remember healing takes time exercising cannot rush healing along, always be mindful on what you do and stop if you begin to feel stressed or tired. Because your body requires calories to heal eating nutritious foods is very important. It takes 24000 calories per day for enough energy for the body to heal. I always felt so much better after drinking protein shakes. Lots of good protein calcium biotin all that good stuff will be helpful. Sending healing angels:angel: to help guide you on your journey.:thumb:

Have just picked up your thread with interest. I have always found 75mg Dicoflenac (tablet form) to be a godsend but my GP is very reluctant to prescribe it and tried to fob me off with something else (didn't work). I can't take it at the moment because am still on blood thinners for another 10 days but as an anti inflammatory it pretty much removed all my pain prior to the op. I was on it for 2.5 months. Not advisable long term but if it helps get you over a hurdle???

Yay! :yes!: You can cool your jets, I just know you can :wink:
You'll like the pay off. :yes:
Hope your week is sunny and bright :SUNsmile:
@S00zd

@hbl , thanks so much for your suggestion. I'm not holding my breath (blue doesn't suit me) but the last few days, the pain is backing off a bit. :fingersx:I have been so lovingly bullied by those here with much more experience of the recovery process into "cooling my jets"- @Layla :rotfl: . I don't want to jinx anything but maybe this is the beginning of an upswing, so no need to increase or change my analgesia. I was taking ibuprofen (part of the same group as diclofenac) and firstly, it didn't really help and secondly, the drug I had to take to mitigate the side effects had its own side effects. Sometimes you think life's all snakes and no ladders! But then you get a grip of yourself or a talking-to from this lot of sages!
Kind of you to try to help :angel:

Last edited:
Not sure what mg you were taking of ibuprofen but you would need a prescription version of at least 75mg …. I have always found anything less than this didn't touch it.

400 mg 3 times per day.

Haven't had much to say for the last few days as despite scaling down my activities greatly, my constant pain, unrelieved by meds, has been preoccupying.:swoon: Spoke to my GP practice today and have been prescribed some low-dose Amitryptiline, on the grounds that it sounds very much like nerve pain. It can take several days to kick in but at least I feel a physician is addressing the issue.

So sorry you are still in pain. Fingers crossed the new medication addresses this. Please keep us updated.

I'm sorry! :console2:
Wishing you comfort as you wait for the meds to kick in.
Hope it eases quickly.
Hugs
@S00zd

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas