PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

Did you talk about the possibility of a loose implant with Dr. McK
Yes, I did. He showed me on my X-ray why he didn’t think it was loose and told me what we would see on the X-ray if it was loose, and what he described was not there.

But still, we have members here who came out of revision surgery and the doctor told them he was surprised the implant came out easily because it was loose and it didn’t show on an X-ray. For one member it didn’t even show in a bone scan.

Lyrica is similar to gabapentin with similar side effects. Those are the only ones I’m aware of, there probably are others, but after reading Undoctored, I’m really not interested in a drug. I am managing at the moment with what I’ve got.

Wow! So, is there any kind of test to show if the implant is loose?
I hear you about taking as few drugs as possible. I feel the same way.

! So, is there any kind of test to show if the implant is loose?
As far as I know the bone scan is usually pretty good. I asked Dr. M about a bone scan but he didn’t think it would show anything so I didn’t argue with him. I really did like him. I’ll go back to him if I have a problem. I hope he won’t mind that I didn’t follow up with the neurologist like he suggested. I did plan to, but between my side effects last June and watching my husband, I don’t want gabapentin unless it’s really necessary. I’d rather put up with what I have now.

I hope he won’t mind that I didn’t follow up with the neurologist like he suggested. I did plan to, but between my side effects last June and watching my husband, I don’t want gabapentin unless it’s really necessary. I’d rather put up with what I have now.
@Jockette: One of the main reasons to see the neurologist and have the EMG studies is to see if there is nerve entrapment. If that it is the case, it has to be corrected with surgery. You don't ever have to take the gabapentin. That you have control over.

The surgeon last month only casually mentioned that I could see a neurologist. Nothing has ever been mentioned by any of the 3 surgeons I’ve seen about an EMG study.

It’s been 2 years. If it was a serious situation it would have become more serious long before now.

Nothing has ever been mentioned by any of the 3 surgeons I’ve seen about an EMG study.
@Jockette, that is what neurologist do....EMG studies to determine if there is nerve damage. Without those tests you have no way of knowing what is going on. It will not show up on an x-ray. I had to have it before a revision was considered to rule out nerve entrapment. I did not have nerve entrapment.

I like what @Cementless has to say about taking the nerve test to rule nerve damage either in or out. Then you would know for sure and know which way to go. Tell the neurologist that you have had a bad reaction with gabapentin and will not take it ever again.

During one of my early knee surgeries in the late 80s, I had a lot of pain afterwards and the OS said he must have nicked a nerve. He went back in and did something and I was fine afterwards. Think of how much easier it could be with today's improvements.

I can sympathize with the wish to go back and time and take a different path.
Use us for support until your days feel better.

I have always felt something shift easily in my replaced knee in different instances, like putting lotion on my leg/knee or sometimes when I put my leg up on my ottoman.

2 second opinions have said my implant is not loose.

Do you think what I’m feeling is the patella with plastic button moving easily over my titanium Patellofemoral implant?

My recent second opinion said the patella does move around, which I knew, and he mobilized it gently to demonstrate. He also did the same thing on the non operated knee, showing me that that patella moves too.

But when I put lotion on my nonoperated knee, nothing moves but maybe some skin. Not so on the replaced knee. This movement has always felt creepy to me.

During one of my early knee surgeries in the late 80s, I had a lot of pain afterwards and the OS said he must have nicked a nerve. He went back in and did something and I was fine afterwards.
Do you remember what he did to fix it? And no one has offered me this either.

No, he didn't tell me what he did. I was under GA again so I knew nothing. All I know is he said he fixed it.

@Spex10 How did you manage on Tylenol and ice only with your second replacement?

I think my going up steps is improving. The last week or so I’ve been able to go up foot over foot only holding on to one handrail. :happydance:

It’s rare that I have steps in my life but recently there have been more occasions.

Maybe my third year will be The Year?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MrsFeinbe
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom