THR Heal first, then exercise, then dance!

:wave:an54!
Thanks for a great update (and your hilarious creative contributions to our social room) I have been trying to drop carbs to lose fifteen pounds I've put on in the last two years as my hips do like it when I'm lighter I think. I sure do love and miss my taters!:heehee:

I have seen improvement week over my one year mark..things are less tight and less sore after lots of activity and not enough activity would definitely stiffen me up.
It is quite the journey...and with spring on its way...you will keep getting alot of good days with that new hip.
:flwrysmile:

Anyway, welcome back to the forum. I know hip stuff is all consuming, but it is really fun to read about other things as well. I am assuming as long as we keep it in check, and give hip chatter its due, it's okay to write about the totality of our lives as well which, frankly, are often just as (really, I hope, more so) interesting as laser focus on our hips. I may be out of line here (moderators, forgive me) but a more full picture of folks' lives puts the hip stuff into perspective for me. Just my opinion, however...

Sharing personal information is okay to a point, but lengthy off topic posts are time consuming to read and there is the chance that a problem or issue mentioned is lost, or not addressed, due to being surrounded by fluff. Member's are encouraged by others sharing their progress. It's inspirational to those following behind them. But please understand that some posts can be a lot to wade through for moderators and also a turnoff to others due to sheer volume.

The Social Room is a wonderful outlet to engage with others and veer off the topic of hips, hip issues and Recovery. Many opportunities to express personal creativity and share in the creativity of others. @An54 has generously contributed. Check it out, I think you'll like it!
@Barbaraj

I agree that long (oops, I sometimes am guilty of this) and overly personal postings are not appropriate, but I do think some personal information that allows the reader to get a flavor of someone's life gives a more clear and full picture of how they're doing as they trudge along the hip recovery trail. The key, as with everything in life, is moderation. Point taken for me! Enjoy your day, @An54!

Sharing personal information is okay to a point, but lengthy off topic posts are time consuming to read and there is the chance that a problem or issue mentioned is lost, or not addressed, due to being surrounded by fluff.

Yes, I have been guilty of clocking extreme readings on the Fluff Meter too many times, especially shortly after surgery, when @1stSurgery and I were in hysterics, riffing about various stuff at the back of the classroom, and disrupting the Main Event. My tendency to colour-outside-the-lines continues, but I am improving. I also go to my online writing group now before I visit this forum, so I can express myself freely there, and ratchet it back here.

I may still be guilty of going overboard with the dance posts, what with literally fleshing out (or in) the characters involved--such as "Neanderthal Man" and "BirdMan". But I rationalise that by telling myself that dancing THR hippies will be interested in the nuances, such as when, post-surgery, I could resume 8-count rock step, and how the strength of the lead can impact one's dancing (and believe me it does).
Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

The Social Room is a wonderful outlet to engage with others and veer off the topic of hips, hip issues and Recovery. Many opportunities to express personal creativity and share in the creativity of others.

Yes, I have been taking concentrated Fluff to the Poetry Corner in the Social Room. Even there I have had to learn the boundaries (no politics, etc) so I keep it Extra Fluffy, with odes to cheese and potatoes, etc. I don't want to decamp from the forums entirely, as I will have hip #2 coming up. Sad to say, the signs are there.

@An54.....I've enjoyed your posts. I feel like I'm there alongside you through your descriptions. I've also traveled through the canals of Venice via your coaching, I believe through a post in the Community Area.
And I laughed at the Ode to Potato, or whatever it was called...I believe many enjoy the Community Room, Social Area / Game Room. It is an additional way of bonding with others and expressing creativity without it being all about hips. Thanks for contributing there.

"Ode to the Potato" had me in fits of laughter… An you are very talented!

@SurreyGirl , I’ll bet you are too. I’m presently engaged on the Fluff Saga of the century —as a writing exercise—on the (non-BoneSmart) writing forum . Looking forward to possibly seeing you there, where there are no holds barred on the supercallifragilisticfluffyoverdosing.

I am definitely going to look it up.. i have signed up but not had the time to look yet..

I do think some personal information that allows the reader to get a flavor of someone's life gives a more clear and full picture of how they're doing as they trudge along the hip recovery trail. The key, as with everything in life, is moderation.
Agree completely!

Not everyone has the time or the temperament for the Social room and the high level of creativity and banter pulsing through there---some incredibly talented, witty folks for sure! :heehee:

But it is still nice to know that real live people are on the forum in this more traditional space. I appreciate hearing how others adjust and live their lives after hip surgery with their info/tips/pointers, as well as some personal info to make the info relatable.
And yes, moderation in all things always seems to come up as the secret to success--:flwrysmile: A good thing to remember, especially for those of us who can get off track.:SUNsmile:

@An54, great to get your dancing update ... so sorry to hear that you second hip is starting to speak up ... You mentioned that briefly ... But sounds like you've been feeling a bit more ache than you expected on the other side?

@An54, great to get your dancing update ... so sorry to hear that you second hip is starting to speak up ... You mentioned that briefly ... But sounds like you've been feeling a bit more ache than you expected on the other side?

@Going4fun , I've been laid out pretty flat for almost a week with a cold, but before that, during longer walks, I could feel a kind of shift in my left leg/hip, an occasional weakness or discomfort radiating down the leg. It's different from the way Right hip used to feel before the operation-- 'different', and not in a good way. As I wrote on another thread here, my surgeon told me there would be a 6 month wait from my decision to go ahead with THR #2 until the operation itself (better than the 23 months for hip #1! ).

It will be tricky to calculate my rate of disintegration in order to book at the optimum time. I was hoping to get in lots of normal life before the next round of increasing disability/ surgery/ convalescence -- to cram in as much as possible while I'm feeling good and fit. I have two trips planned this year. Not that I am in pain now, you understand. When I get better from this annoying cold, I will still carry on as normal (including dancing), but I am feeling the first 'whispers', as it were. There is a subtle change coming on. I'm hoping it will just remain stable for a good year or so. We will see.

I agree with you, @An54, the symptoms I'm experiencing with my left hip are different than those I had in my right hip before surgery. I suspect this might be due to the fact that the right one was in much worse shape. Frankly, the left one is just aching on and off, whereas the right one hurt a lot, but usually only when I walked more than a block. I walked slowly down to a neighborhood fund raiser at a local restaurant last night and although I felt stiff, I was able to manage the 1/2 mile walk to and from without any pain. I, too, am hoping to get in some "normal" life before the next surgery, although I think I was foolish to think it would be a pain-free normal life. Before my surgery my left hip didn't bother me at all, it's only post right hip surgery that I'm aware that my left hip isn't in great shape either. But, if I'm able to do most things despite the stiffness/ache, I think I'll have to accept that as the new normal life. As I've mentioned before, the current plan is to wait until September to revisit a second surgery although if things got worse before then, I'd be hightailing it back into the surgeon's office. I only had to wait four months last time for my surgery, so I would assume it would be about the same the second time around. And it could have happened earlier if I'd agreed to take a cancelation but we were in the midst of a kitchen remodel and I wanted to get through with that first. My fingers will be crossed for you that despite the whispers of discomfort you're feeling now, you are able to put off surgery for a year or so. Hope your cold is feeling better, too. Nasty time of year for those ugly respiratory bugs.

I appreciate hearing how others adjust and live their lives after hip surgery with their info/tips/pointers, as well as some personal info to make the info relatable.

Definitely, @Debru4, I agree that without understanding how folks live their lives it's hard to get a sense of their recovery. Not that anyone wants to judge recoveries, but reading about someone whose life is a bit more active and yet struggling somewhat (uh, like me perhaps) is definitely a positive. Misery loves company, but also folks who are doing well inspire me, and I'm entertained by stories about dancing, travels, dinner parties, etc. Moderation is the key, but without the personal stuff this would be a dry, dry forum.

I just posted an updated image on the badge-of-honour-thread, showing the healing of my surgical scar. Actually, I'm surprised it faded as much as it did. However there is a considerable dimple-- a concave area. If I lay on my left side, a grapefruit could sit in there just perfectly. It's hard to get consistent photos with varying lighting and shadows, clarity and fuzziness, but it is quite a dip.

An update about brain-fog. I think it was @Alitm (can't be sure, because of the brain-fog :) and I who were discussing the loss of concentration post-surgery. I had a general anesthetic after the spinal didn't take. I had a very hard time for months reading anything beyond short newsy articles. I could not get past 2 chapters in a book. It was very disconcerting, and bad news for a book club member. When I went on my big cross-Canada train trip at the end of December (5 months post surgery) I took two full length books and really tried to apply myself. Slowly, slowly, it worked! I can read again. For my next surgery I will ask them to try the spinal and sedation again (no GA if possible) ; the compromised brain-thing was quite disturbing, although I'm happy to say it seems to be resolved now.

How do I find the Badge of Honor thread to look at the images?(Obviously I have never visited.:))

Hi @An54
I had GA and a Spinal and I experienced the brain fog also. I found it very frustrating. I couldn't absorb what I read, I'd start over and over again. Also, at times I couldn't recall if I asked my husband a question, or just thought I did. Then I'd ruminate over the thought that IF I did ask him.....I obviously forgot what he said!! Maddening.

I didn't read the Recovery Guidelines in its entirety for several weeks post op. I grew tired of trying and initially gave up. The brain fog slowly eased but at first I wondered and worried if I'd ever feel normal again.

Here's one for @Going4fun , who will be out there--sooner or later--on the dance floor again. This is a photograph taken at our local pub/dancing venue at John's 101st birthday celebration last month. John still comes out to dance twice a week. Last year for his 100th birthday, the local press was there with cameras, etc, but this year was relatively quiet. Maybe when he hits 105, they will put him on the news again. He lives alone in a house he built in 1941, has a workshop, keeps busy. He is a wonder. It must be the dancing :)
John and Garrick.jpg

Also, at times I couldn't recall if I asked my husband a question, or just thought I did. Then I'd ruminate over the thought that IF I did ask him.

@Layla , I spent a lot of time wandering from one room to another, wondering what I went in there for. :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom