THR Bickypeg's new hip

Went out for a cream tea yesterday (see photo) as I did this for my second trip after the first op and it seemed fun to repeat it even earlier this time. Very uncomfortable when I got back and new leg was sort of throwing itself(?) and painful all the way down. Panicked of course (it's what I do best) but a nap on the bed and a quiet couple of hours in front of the TV sorted it. Perhaps was too casual about getting in and out of the car as it was easy yesterday or OH was less careful about speed, swervy corners and potholes.:bignono:Also the chair in the cafe was hard plastic and uncomfortable. Just need to be more careful. Not a great night but got up feeling better than yesterday with no sore back which was wonderful. Mopped the kitchen floor to celebrate.
Read some posts on here from bonesmarties walking 2 miles or wanting to play tennis after 3 weeks. Could only think Wow! But I'm quite content walking down the drive and back. Never could play tennis anyway!:whistle:

20190305_143029.jpg

The angle of your leg on those plastic chairs was probably wrong and contributed. Speaking from experience! Good that rest and icing sorted it out. Hope the cream tea was good :)

Your tea looks lovely! My mom used to serve cream teas in her restaurant but generally quite hard to find here unless you pay the bomb at a big hotel for "high tea".

It was delicious. All homemade stuff. Bet you're right about the chair. Anyway it's ticked off my list for now and I can always buy scones from their shop (though the views from the cafe on top of the moors are spectacular)
Think it was the hairdressers next...

I found that just standing up and stretching occasionally really helped "survive" a pub or cafe chair. I also bought a cushion with me to raise the height so the legs were at right angles to the thighs. It did help… Even now I have a good look at a restaurant chair before deciding if I need the cushion. :)

Good morning, @bickypeg. Your tea does look quite scrumptious and although you were sore afterwards, I'm betting it was such fun to get out and do something "normal". I agree with @SurreyGirl, that getting up and stretching occasionally when you're forced to sit in uncomfortable chairs is a good idea, and I also brought a pillow with me to restaurants early on. We have one restaurant in particular whose food and drink we enjoy, but the seats are all hard wooden chairs or benches--NOT a fun thing! As it is for all of us, just trying to find that activity/rest balance is hard and there will be inevitable setbacks. I'm over 5 months in recovery and still feel sometimes that I am completely clueless about how to set my day with the right mix of activity and rest. But we've all got to figure it out and I am betting it will get easier as you move forward along the recovery path. Now, go have a nice scone and settle yourself by a window with your feet propped up!

Last edited:
:hi:
That does look yummy, bickypeg!
I remember you posting something similar last time and it looked just as good.
I'm happy to hear you got out for a little relaxation and change of scenery.
I hope you're having a good day. A peaceful evening and good night's sleep to you. :yawn: :sleep:
@bickypeg

A couple of days with symptoms I don't remember from last time (although I was on more painkillers at 4 weeks last July). Horrid ache and a frightening heavy almost dragging feeling in new hip/leg/calf around 3 in the afternoon.Walking was difficult . Thought at first it was the car journey. Nothing in Bonesmart which is always a worry. A nap on the bed the first day and a long rest on the chair on the second helped. Yesterday it was twinging but not so much and also much later on but I'd had a very lazy day on the sofa. Hate feeling as though I'm going backwards. Remind me recovery isn't a continuum!
Not bad at night now although properly awake at 4/5 a.m. when if I don't get straight out of bed lower back and both hips are very sore. But pills and a wander round our chilly house help fairly quickly.
Want to do more stuff but it's knocked my confidence rather. Any thoughts? :shrug:

Horrid ache and a frightening heavy almost dragging feeling in new hip/leg/calf around 3 in the afternoon.Walking was difficult .
Hi friend.:)
I have heard the "log leg", heavy leg described here many times and mostly in early weeks. It is hard to know why now? but also don't know how much activity and what sorts you have been involved in lately. I know that it gets awfully repetitive when it is said back off the activity but...
A nap on the bed the first day and a long rest on the chair on the second helped. Yesterday it was twinging but not so much and also much later on but I'd had a very lazy day on the sofa.
This was definitely the right remedy for right now.
My thought is this hip is insisting on more down time to heal.
It's going to take the time it takes :sigh:unfortunately despite where we feel we should be or how your experience was with number one.:umm:
Something you're doing perhaps it isn't quite ready for? Or just the way this recovery will go...maybe that hip let's us do more and then says, okay that's enough...back to assuming the position:ice:
These really are still early days and my recovery was definitely an ebb and flow.
Sending healing hugs for a better day and a great weekend!:angel:

Aw thanks @Mojo333 . Yes I'd heard 'log leg' but somehow had associated it more with being in bed and being unable to do exercises. Fair enough. I had been busier than usual on both days and was only nicely over the stomach bug so perhaps wasn't being cautious enough. So a little more cosseting myself and just walking round the house then? Such horrid weather so I'm quite happy with that as a plan. Keep saying to myself it's not a race, it's a marathon...

So a little more cosseting myself and just walking round the house then?
Great plan.:curtsey:

Hey, how about you could pretend you just had a new hip implanted one month ago?:loll:
(Sorry...I couldn't resist)
Hope today is a better day dear bickypeg!:flwrysmile:

Hey you :wave:
It sounds like some rest is in order, bickypeg. Crank up the heat a little so you can be comfy, cozy in your safe place called "home." Maybe you can sneak in a nap, or two today :yawn: :sleep:
You experienced two major surgeries within seven months and there will be ups and downs. It makes sense that your discomfort followed some activity. Take the weekend to pamper yourself. You've earned it. :friends:
@bickypeg

@bickypeg I too still have the odd time when I have a "log leg"! It also has a mind of its own at times. I've found it happens when I've done too much bending and stretching usually. At 11 weeks I forget sometimes I have a shiny new joint! I've had to put my sensible head on and let OH do more. I also love our local cream teas but have promised myself a Cornish pasty as a treat if I behave. This online community will help keep you sane and dispel some of your fears as it has for me. Keep the faith.

Thanks @Kaz54 that's good to know. I think because everything went comparatively smoothly at the beginning and I seemed to be doing things earlier than in July after the first op, I felt that everything would continue the same. But I was on a lot of painkillers then, I've been ill for a week and presumably my pelvic girdle is still adjusting to everything being tilted the right way at last. Like most healthy people who've worked in a very social environment I tend to sit around rather bored and assume every little new twinge is something dreadful.
You Bonesmarties save my sanity! It's a great comfort.
Family all over this weekend for no 2 son's birthday so shan't have time to be neurotic hopefully!:happydance:

At just one day over a month out of surgery you are doing just fine! I'll bet you will see some big changes within the next 2-3 weeks. Hang in there!

A rough night again and a bit down when I got up. So looked back to last July/August and guess what? I was complaining of exactly the same things! No dry mouth but it was a hot summer and I slept with the window open. So I've ordered a humidifier (thanks @Layla )
Also copied dear @Mojo333 's cartoon for all us new hippies...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190309-071722.jpg
    Screenshot_20190309-071722.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 248

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties