THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Hey, @SurreyGirl, hope that aching hip has eased up a bit today. If swimming helps, I'd stick to that as I am sure it's easier on the joints than other forms of exercise might be, and I'm a fan of sticking with what you know and what works for YOU. I loathe swimming for all kinds of complicated reasons so you'll never catch me in a pool for exercise, ever. I hit the pool annually during a summer week of vacation with my family, but it involves me holding onto a pool "noodle" and simply floating around for awhile.

The poolates has me intrigued. I can't find any classes near me, but I did find some nifty online tutorials. I may try it in my community pool. I feel like I should set up a hidden camera to capture the spectator commentary/facial reactions.

I am going to have a second go on Monday and will report back.. I did find it very difficult and the instructor was strict! The pool is divided in half with the Poolates people on one side and lane swimmers on the other. The lightning is subdued and new age type music is pumped through the speakers. All very surreal! I have a 7-day pass to this country club and am giving a few things a trial to see if it is worth spending the money. I am feeling pretty good today so hope that the Poolates help and don't set me back!

Good luck with the class today, @SurreyGirl. Sounds better than spin classes at my gym, an activity that I will never go back to--darkened room, loud and unpleasant music, sweaty people all around, and an instructor barking instructions at me! New age music in a pool with subdued lighting actually sounds quite pleasant. With a free 7-day pass, I think you should try a variety of activities and classes. It would be a big financial commitment if you decided to join, so make sure there are a number of things you'd actually enjoy and participate in if you attended.

Ugh.... I tried spin classes just once and hated them. Also was painful as at that point I had not realised my hip was so bad,

Just been doing some more declutting g in the main bedroom... 1.5 hours so far, went back to my Grabber to get stuff in the corner as not taking any risks with too much bending. More to do tomorrow and ice packs at the ready....got hubby to take the rubbish bag downstairs as still being cautious....

Found some old cards and a programme from when I sang the part of “Mad Margaret” back in 2015. I am keeping those.....

I need to get to the club tomorrow to see how busy it is on a Sunday... trying to assess if I could really get there three times a week as that is the only way it would represent value financially.

The poolates has me intrigued. I can't find any classes near me, but I did find some nifty online tutorials. I may try it in my community pool. I feel like I should set up a hidden camera to capture the spectator commentary/facial reactions.
@Lola115 can you post the link please?

Hey, there, @SurreyGirl. Did you make it to the health club yesterday? I agree that the only way you could start to justify an expensive membership would be that you'd use the facilities regularly. My gym is expensive, too, and knowing that I push myself to go regularly. Even if my workout, if I'm not feeling great, is slow and short, I want to get "good value" so I make sure to use it and get my money's worth. After awhile, however, I think it does turn into a "habit" and you don't have to think about it. Schedule gym visits in the way you would anything important in your life and that makes it easier. Cheers, and happy Monday!

Still getting over a nasty cold although working. Might try again today.

I went out for a half hour walk at lunchtime yesterday very carefully practising heel to toe. I had my Leki with me but didn’t use it. However the final 10 minutes were hard and both hips started hurting. Knee was ok so the exercises for them are helping.

Back to work and iced when I got home. Didn’t need the paracetamol as tried ice first. Hubby made galettes with buckwheat flour which were delicious.

I do have a question however.... I am now 7 months out.

The good news...No pain at night, can manage stairs, driving etc BUT I get tired after only 1/2 hours walk? Tightness in one of the muscle bands not helping. Scar still itches and burns occasionally but less frequently.

Is this all normal? I hear that it takes a year to heal and I was unfit beforehand despite my best efforts - but I am getting frustrated.

I have problems at work right now - another major restructuring (my 4th) so this is probably affecting me somewhat as huge decisions to be made. I am rather sad about it all but changes are afoot (pardon the pun)

Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated. Xxx

I hear that it takes a year to heal and I was unfit beforehand despite my best efforts
If you were unfit before the op it will take awhile to build up strength again. I think we under estimate the amount of impact limping around has on recovery. At 7 months out you sound like you are doing very well! Just keep at it.

I am certain the stress at work is not helping the situation at all. Hope that eases soon!

Thanks Jaycey! Can’t wait to be in the sun again as helped a great deal.

Thinking about it I was using a stick for two years before the op so hadn’t walked “normally” for quite a while....

I was using a stick for two years before the op
Well that says it all. It took 2 years to get that way and may take awhile to reverse all this. You are doing fine! I know it's hard but don't compare your recovery to any other. Your recovery is just a bit more complex.

Yes indeed - it was nice when the sun was out and we were warm! This weather is making me stiff and sore again!

Thanks Jaycey! Good to know that I am on track. I do self doubt sometimes...

Ps just sent you a PM.

I don't expect my recovery to be a walk in the park due to being in such rough shape the last 5 years but I have to trust I will get there! When we've had significant mobility issues for so long pre-op I can understand that my fitness, gait, etc. will be a little slower than many but I'm sure it will be worth waiting for!

Sorry for the work grief. I'm sure that must feel like a lot to cope with right now and it's always most unsettling. My husband's company has been in some degree of restructuring for a few years now with a couple of buyouts and forced retirements. I think we often underestimate what a toll it takes on us.
:flwrysmile:

Hey, @SurreyGirl, I sense a note of discouragement in your last posting which is understandable but I, too, would like to add my vote of encouragement to you--you are healing at a rate that is appropriate for YOUR body, and while it feels slow and awkward at times, you are making progress and I agree with @Carriemay60 that if you were struggling for a long time before surgery, it is going to take awhile for you to get back to a fully mobile state. I think your understanding and appreciation of how far you've come is something to focus on when you're feeling low--wow, sleeping pretty well, coping with stairs and driving, all great accomplishments! If you feel as if you were in poor shape before surgery then I can understand why your recovery would be a bit slower and more laborious. And, as you noted, the stress of an uncertain job situation is absolutely impacting you both emotionally AND physically. I think you just need to remind yourself that you are one strong, capable and recovering woman and that you are going to get better, just not as quickly as you'd like. Sure, you've got a way to go, but you've come so very, very far--so hurray for you!

Last edited:
Hi @SurreyGirl
Sorry you're still feeling under the weather. Add to that work stress and frustration with your recovery and I'm sure it feels a bit overwhelming. Hopefully your cold eases soon and you adjust to any changes in the work place. Try not to worry about your recovery. Just keep on, keeping on. I'll bet you're surprised at one year post op in the progress you'll have made between now, and then. Patience, SG, you'll get there.
Enjoy the evening!

Hope that hip is feeling better today, @SurreyGirl, not bothered by the pool laps yesterday, and recovering respiratory illness soothed by the jacuzzi and steam room. Plus, husband cooking moussaka for dinner, how sweet is that? Hope you have a good day!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back