THR Cleared to go!

Kaz54

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I finally had my hip replaced in December 2018 after a 17 month wait on the NHS. I am now nearly 9 weeks post op and have just been for a walk in the sunshine without limping and pain! I have spent a lot of time reading other members experiences of THR and think I'm on track. The only problem I now have is not being able to sleep on either side as it's still painful. I have to say, being normally active and enjoying water sports it was a shock to find my leg muscles so sore for about a month after surgery. I still feel a bit lopsided and have a bit of stinging in the calf which feels like nerve damage. GP said to give it a few months to settle down. I haven't had my follow up with surgeon as it was cancelled on the day of the appointment, it's now scheduled for 11 weeks after surgery! I've learnt not to believe everything that's written online too, I tried too many exercises and made my inner thigh sore. Il stick to walking.

Welcome to BoneSmart and Recovery! Thanks for joining us. Congratulations on your new hip.
Please leave your exact surgery date below and which hip was replaced. The info will be applied as your signature.

Following are the Recovery Guidelines which will still apply.
Stop back often. We'd love to follow your journey and support you along the way.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfo
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @Kaz54

My surgery was on 19 December 2018 on right hip.

Welcome to BoneSmart and the other side of surgery!
I've learnt not to believe everything that's written online too, I tried too many exercises and made my inner thigh sore.
Spot on! See the Big Tip in the post Layla left for you. Walking is just what a new hip needs.

Hi @Kaz54
Sleep is a big problem and I have times when I'm still struggling. However, having had 2 hip replacements in July and Nov last year, I am now able to sleep on both sides.
I kept trying and it was too sore but I didn't give up. I find that on both sides there is a 'sweet' spot where I can avoid the pain. It does sometimes take a bit of jiggling about to find it but it's there. Try for a few minutes at a time and I am sure you will get there.

Hi Kaz54
So nice to hear of your progress. Yes, I have learned to trying to force yourself or the therapist is very long! I had a revision done on November last year and doing much better. My situation is much different than yours having to deal with infection and antibiotics. Sometimes the body does not want the prosthesis, lol. Anyway I take one day at a time. Now I like to lay on my operated side, my good side is very uncomfortable. Do you notice your operated leg has a tendency to turn outward? I'm working on exercises to help walk straight heel to toe. I use a Walker and hope sometime to get away from it. I'm very blessed to get thru all these operations I've had, but I go forward with being positive. Keep up the great rehab! It's always nice to connect with so many on this site. It has taught me much. God Bless

Just had my second hip done @Kaz54 , the first last July. Could never sleep on either side.I just wedge myself with a bolster and about 6 pillows, lots of fleecey blankets and a beanbag cushion in the small of my back. I still hate It! But at least apart from toilet trips I sleep through the night now. I'm hoping my body will tell me when it's time to be more ambitious. Oh and someone on here had mentioned sheepskin under your feet to protect those delicate heels. That's quite nice. And a hot water bottle.

I've just had my follow up with surgeon 11 weeks after the THR. He told me I can now lift all restrictions and lead a "normal" life. I asked him a few questions but forgot one obvious one, how long should I follow the exercises given to me after the operation. What's the feeling on this and is it now safe to do a few Pilates/Yoga moves?

Congrats on 11 weeks!
I'll bet you're loving that you're able to drop the restrictions. :yes:
I'd recommend you call your OS's office to inquire about Pilates and Yoga. I'm sure a member of his care team can advise on that. I know others return, but I believe there are some moves that aren't necessarily safe for a new hip. As far as exercising goes, please re-read the Big Tip from the Recovery Guidelines -

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

I hope you have a nice Tuesday and a great rest of the week! :SUNsmile:
@Kaz54

Hi @Kaz54
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Please don't start new threads in recovery.
Did you read all the post that Layla made to you, containing advice for recovery? The last paragraph was this:
While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

I'm coming on 13mos and still have some soreness and tightness. I kept up the moves the OS gave me past 3 mos and still do some of the stretches. That was all the PT I did was the list of stretches, most lying down. I have eased into some of the simple Yoga poses/stretches. Some cause some are uncomfortable in the op hip area so I back off on those. It has given me more flexibility. There's a thread n here about someone doing a little more of a Yoga move than they should have and dislocated! No different than the restrictions there are some movements you don't want to do and the whole idea of Yoga is not strain, if it hurts you're doing it wrong. And don't fall down!, that the one lasting restriction my OS gave me.
As far as lying on my side it took a while. The feeling I had that I didn't like was more of a pulling in the joint area when I first laid on my non op side.

The way the outside of my hip now feels I'll have to be patient and wait until I can get back in/on the water!

another water baby here Kaz! I have never tried paddle boarding though. You are less than 3 months out so take it easy. Maybe swimming or gentle yoga involving stretching to sort out any tightness… I am practising climbing up swimming pool ladders in preparation for dive boats on my next holiday. Difficult to strike a balance between exercise and overdoing it though! Best of luck for your recovery. :)

Hi @Kaz54
You'll get there.
Patience can be hard to come by, but you're not even three months post op yet. There is a lot of healing still happening.
Enjoy the day! :SUNsmile:

Hi @SurreyGirl

I'm off to Spain soon where I'll try sit on top kayaking first but not until I feel the time is right. You should try paddleboarding, it's so therapeutic but I only paddle on a non windy day on flat water. I'm going away at the end of March when I'll be 14 weeks out of surgery and surgeon told me to try it! I've now swapped hospital exercises for a slow walk on my treadmill which I'm hoping will be better. Good luck with your diving, I'm not that brave.

I like kayaking but would need help getting out unless I just tipped over in the water and swam with it back to shore! Have started regular swimming now to build up leg muscles.

@SurreyGirl If you can wade out until you're knee depth in the water you can then do what I've been doing for years and jut place your bottom onto the kayak and gently lift your legs in. Do the same in reverse to get out. Sit on tops are very stable and it would be very hard to fall out in calm conditions. Do you swim breast stroke? I'm not much good at anything else. Anyone else swimming breast stoke after 3 months?

@Kaz54 - I was back in the pool doing breaststroke as soon as I got the all clear from my OS at 6 weeks. Initially whip kick rather than frog kick and supplemented with pool walking. Just back from doing a pre-breakfast mile of breaststroke.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back