Revision THR Triple Hippy- Revision smoothly over<

:hi:How are things going with you?
I'm sure things seem to be a little like slow motion as you await your appointment next week?
Hope today is a good day!!!:SUNsmile:

Thank you @Mojo333
It has been 5 wks since surgery, am still with 2 crutches as advised by the OS for 6-8 wks
Leg progress is Ok, not as fast as my other hip standart THR 6 years ago but this is as expected with revision surgery of my specific case
My major issue is sleep disorder, falling asleep is so difficult and I am tired during the day...Magnesium tablets hasn’t worked and am still taking anxiolitics from time to time when I really need to (((
My visit to the OS is in 10 days on the 5th of Feb, and am looking forward to what he is going to say. I am slightly anxious too...
Well counting on the days...
Thanks for asking, you made me feel “I am not alone”
:tada:

Hi @sansabosa, Good to hear from you. You surely are not alone! We other revisionists are here for you, ready to celebrate or commiserate as needed. I will be thinking about you on the 5th and hope you get a good report and perhaps some lifting of restrictions. Slow progress is OK as long as it is progress.

I have to say that the additional hardware and longer stem of my revision gives me some anxious thoughts. I try not to think about all the metal that is in there, rather I focus on how much more stable it feels to have a well-fixed prosthesis as compared to a wobbly one. I like the idea of having 2018-era bearing surfaces, too. I just read my surgical report which said there were scratches on the old ceramic ball surface. How could that be when it is harder than the metal cup surface that it was bearing against? I need to ask the OS on my next visit (in the category of "intellectual curiosity questions").

I hope you can find solutions to your sleeplessness. I sleep in small chunks of 2 or 3 hours, but I get through the night all right and take a nap midday if needed. Our two dogs seem to have no problem snoring away the entire night, barely moving a muscle. Wish I knew their secret.

I found If I could relax more with sleep issues after my 1st issues, then I wasn't lying there fretting about it and with time, I slowly got back on track. Now it's pain that wakes me or not being to shift without paying attention to how I do it. So when I wake, I give myself only about 5-15 minutes of laying quietly and then I read until I manage to doze off again. I haven't been going up the stairs to our master bedroom for 5 years unless we have had company so I am in a small guestroom and not disturbing my hubby, which helps obviously. Sounds like you are really doing quite well overall. Keep up the great work!
:flwrysmile:

Here is an update of my post op 6th week to my OS

My appointment eas on the 5th of Feb, this week

İ was a bit nervous before the visit for not being sure of the outcome.İ was still with 2 crutches as advised by the OS until this visit and was comparing with my other THR which was not a revision, 6 years ago

İn summary, everything is on track
Xrays were taken and they look OK said the surgeon
They also examined me, kind of took my foot and brought it close to my head as if trying a new pose of yoga (kidding!) yet my perception was that. They were satisfied with Muscles strenght and range of movement
90 degree limitation is lifted. İn a week or two İ can leave one crutch said the OS

Next visit is in 6 weeks which is post op 3 months

İ am taking slow to get back to work physically as İ had so much warning from the OS while sitting and getting up due osteolysis caused previous prosthesis where they had to apply bone greft and fixed the head of the new prosthesis...he mentioned it will take a year for full integration of the greft. So İ am a bit precautious this time
However İ did start working from home just a couple of hours per day, yet it still makes me feel easily tired after 2-3 hours

İ have dropped all the pain killers, except once a day NSAİ for oedema. İ am still applying icing and i bearly have any pain. They found the scar area looking good as well

İ tried hydrotherapia pool yesterday and it was pretty well for the muscles and was able to walk crutch free in the pool, doing abductors, adductors, walking freely

Sleep is getting better too

İ tried to walk with one cructh today and it seemed ok where it was difficult only two days ago in front of the OS

Revision surgery definetely took longer to recover in my case compared to my primary THR of my other hip; yet the good news is that it does recover, slowly but surely, its like a long winter...

I can imagine you are cautiously optimistic, but all sounds good!
So happy to hear it:happydance:
I'm sure all will continue to improve and the spring will be oh so good for you.
Continued best wishes @sansabosa :SUNsmile:

Enjoyed reading your update, @sansabosa. Your progress is steadily forward, even if not as fast as your previous THRs. Considering the intricacy of the particular revision you had, it is to be expected that the recovery will proceed at a more stately pace. Even more so than with original THRs, each revision is a special case with different challenges. The hydrotherapy sounds divine. All my therapy is on dry land.

At 5 weeks, I am still using one crutch when going out of the house, but inside I use it only when I am tired. I am so amazed at how stable my revised hip feels with no pain on weight bearing. So unlike my original THR which gave me aches and pains off and on through the years. The dogs are happy I am taking them for walks again. I use a very long lead so I do not need to go as far as they do.

Best of luck in getting around on one crutch. It is a big step because then you can carry things in your other hand!

Great visit with the OS. :yay:
I'm sure it does feel like a long Winter. Just think how sweet Spring will be when it finally arrives.
You're doing great. Keep it up.
I hope you have a lovely weekend! :SUNsmile:
@sansabosa

Walking with 1 crutch is a real “freedom”
I can carry my coffee mug from the kitchen

Being able to re-start a regular swimming pool has been a big step and relief for me, not only for the muscles but also a good opportunity cardiowise
Need to get rid of a couple of pounds I put on since the surgery before my next visit in midMarch, post op 3rd month

Good to hear about your progress! Yes, moving to one crutch or just the cane is a very liberating moment. The coffee mug, of course! I just hit six weeks post-op. Doing better on steps. Alternating feet going down, but leading with unoperated leg going up. Using a cane with a light touch when going out of the house mostly for a little extra safety. Inside, I go without the cane.

Hi @sansabosa
Wonderful news on losing a crutch! Another milestone along the journey. :yay:
I'll bet getting back to the pool will help you drop the lbs. you gained since surgery.
You seem to be doing well....you're on your way. Please stay in touch so we can follow your progress.
Enjoy the weekend! :)

Also delighted to hear you are getting around better and feel more independent...I'm sure the past three months have felt interminable at times...:bored:
I too am trying to drop a few pounds...gained about 15 since my surgery but not for lack of mobility. Lack of self control and decreasing metabolism that comes with age:umm:

Hope you have a good weekend @sansabosa :tada:

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you've been experiencing good days since you last posted on a Friday.
You're coming right along, making great progress.
May it only get better and better.
Have a good one!
@sansabosa

Thanks @Mojo333 & @Layla
Yes, 2 months is over and I do feel much better and i dependent
Pool helps significantly
Now looking forward to my 3rd month appointment on the 3rd week of March

@prairienut
Indeed coffee mug...I really enjoyed holding it when I dropped one crutch
So nice to hear about your progress
Just a quick question to you: are you able/feel comfortable sleeping on your operated side yet?

Last edited:
@sansabosa No. I tried sleeping on my operated side last night and lasted less than minute. Still too sore. I can lay on my nonoperated side for only a few minutes until oddly enough tbe operated side starts to ache. My PT thought I should try it with two pillows between my legs. In the meantime, I'm sleeping on my back. Getting used to it.

I think I overdid in the pool a couple of days ago (cycling exercise back and forth as wel as kicking with the legs exercise) and had some groin pain the day after. After a day’s rest and icing I was ok. The following day I had to be in the office from 9 to 4 pm (I am still working at home from my recliner) and when I got back home I was exhausted and groin pain started again

My PT said its is probably iliopsoas strain and advised me to rest and ice. I started anti-inflamatory drug again and 1-2 Tylenol/day but is seems to stay
Any comments @Mojo333, @Layla ?

Hi @sansabosa
Let's ask the resident expert to @Josephine to weigh in. She'd be the best one to offer insight and advice.
Wishing you comfort and speedy relief.

I think I overdid in the pool a couple of days ago (cycling exercise back and forth as wel as kicking with the legs exercise) and had some groin pain the day after. After a day’s rest and icing I was ok. The following day I had to be in the office from 9 to 4 pm (I am still working at home from my recliner) and when I got back home I was exhausted and groin pain started again
:console2:
It does seem like you entered the doors of the Overdid It Club.. I did it a few times when I got further along in recovery and it is easy to do in the pool.
It never hurts until we stop:sigh:
You are on the right track with a combination of medication, ice, rest, and gentle stretching. This is important to prevent the condition becoming chronic and difficult to manage. I'm not a fan of NSAIDS so I would follow Nurse Josephine's oft repeated recommendation to take
Paracetamol (also known as acetaminophen or Tylenol) 1,000mg 3-4 times a day is recommended provided that you aren't taking meds with acetaminophen in them.
Since you definitely got some relief after this protocol the first day, it's likely it didn't have enough time to recoup and ICE with your work day.
I found a lot of sitting aggravated mine too.
Walking is a good easy stretch in itself.
I also would massage the area when I was in the recliner and gently pull my leg up toward my chest gently. Not TO my chest...just up.
Hopefully you just need a few days to get things settled...
Hard to know where the lines are between enough and too much sometimes.
Hope by the weekend things feel much better!:friends:

Thank you @Mojo333 & @Layla
My concerns are:
1-What if its not strain and something else related with the technical aspect of the operation? I don’t think so but what if...?
2-Most probably it is iliopsoas strain but I am worried if it becomes chronic...I do have some pain when walking
Lets wait a couple of days and see
Thanks for your inputs

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker