TKR PCL release post TKR<<

Oh one more thing that might be useful - to reschedule my sleep and try to sleep at least halfway through the night, I use Melatonin (start with small dose and find the sweet spot where it helps you sleep but you don’t feel groggy in the am), as well as a tea from Celestial called Sleepytime. Helped me a LOT. That, and for first 6 week or so, sleeping with my legs elevated on a bolster with pillows at my sides so I would be discouraged from kickboxing in my sleep... :rotfl:

My OS wanted to do both knees at once because they both do need replacement, agreed to do the right one first then the left one in a year so, can't imagine doing them both at once. I do notice a better gait when using my Walker (putting no weight on it at all) vs. just the cane. I have long hallway with a mirror at one end so I usually watch myself walking to help in making sure I'm doing it correctly. My insurance allowed six in home PT visits which have been completed, so I am doing some stretches on my own now. I do know my PT personally and he said he'd come back a couple times to see how I was doing. My second follow up with my OS is February 28th, I guess he'll decide then if I need outpatient PT ... hopefully not.

Our horses’ vet did both knees at once - after my experience with one, he is now my HERO... I could not even Imagine!?

If the doc does say PT, I cannot recommend my PT outfit enough. They seem to me almost nationwide if you’re in the USA? No pushing, none of the bad stories you’ve read here - in fact they even hold me back so I don’t push myself too much. And tons of healing bodywork. My other leg is super jealous lol!

Please stop using text-speak. The word is Through!

I don’t feel that this situation required your nasty tone.

1. I’m probably approximately half the age of the average person on this site, making what you called “text speak” part of my normal typewritten vernacular - I use social media quite a bit.

2. Somehow “LOL” is overlooked, is that not also text speak?

3. I primarily use this site from my phone; therefore I am, essentially, texting.

I felt (and was told) I’m contributing helpful things with my thread, and I’ve leaned quite a bit here. It’s been a happy experience for me to talk with others, learn, and meet new friends. I do not understand your tone with me - this isn’t a first, either.

Can’t we all just get along? I wasn’t cursing someone’s name, I used a simple shortcut. Good grief.

@IronGirl6, it sounds like your PT is a real blessing! So many PTs are way to aggressive and then set the recovery back. I wish for your continue healing. You are a huge help to many of us on here!

Many of our readers are older and don't understand texting. I'm just learning some of it now, myself! I'm sure Josephine didn't mean anything by her tone and didn't realize it would be taken as nasty. She's from England and they talk differently from us from the states!

Thanks @sistersinhim - also, I researched this matter, (grammar - what to study whilst :ice:icing thy knee);

“Thru” has been around, at least in the USA, since the **19th century** - and I don’t believe they were *texting* in the 1800’s :rotfl:. It says it’s “acceptable in casual communication”. That’s what this is. If I’m writing a treatment or legal contract, I wouldn’t use that spelling. In this format? Acceptable. ‘Tis not “text speak”.

I didn’t realize this spelling shortcut had been around for so long! Leaned something else new today now! :thumb:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/thru

I love learning new things! I'm much older than you, yet I am still learning, too! I'm finding that texting is really fun. About 5 years ago I finally got a phone that was easy to text with, but hardly even did it. I'd just call and leave a message. Now, I'll text in a heart beat. I've had to google what many times what certain things mean and normally they made sense to do it that way! I, too, thought thru was OK, but since we're international that it might not have been in other parts of the world. I learned last week that the '!', (exclamation point), can mean that the writer is mad and maybe yelling at you, so I've limited using those unless I see the poster using them, too.

Just keep on doing what you're doing. You are a very helpful member and we enjoy reading your posts. :flwrysmile:

Just caught up on your thread; you appear to be doing quite well! Had to chuckle at the comments on text speak! When I do text I have to make sure I have my glasses on....I've sent some crazy texts and to the wrong folks.....oops!!!! ;0)...

As far as getting back active on a regular basis it took me about a year and then took up swimming; since then back to biking; lots of walking, some light weight training; I've even been able to complete several sprint triathlons (I do walk the 5k segment) and other activities. So I can understand the desire to "get back at it" just listen to your knee; your time to "compete" will come again.

Good luck with your continued recovery!!

@IronGirl6 sounds like you found a PT that works for you which is awesome! My OS recommended 6 weeks of PT but did not require it so I am done with that now but I too found an awesome PT. You got your new knee the day before my birthday! Off topic sorry but beautiful horse in your photo. My recovery is going well let's keep on going!

@IronGirl6, your progress appears to be doing well. It does take close to a year, some maybe more, some maybe less. I’m right at 10 months (today) and am about 95% where I was a year ago but minus the pain. If I take that into account, I’d say I’m at or more than 100%.

Regarding all the text speak discussion, you could just use the excuse that you are from California, we all know you speak differently out there just like the Southerners do! :rotfl:

Of course, I’m just kidding. Couldn’t resist making light of it all. Keep the faith and keep up the positive outlook. They both work miracles.

Perhaps the worlds of both California and pro level sports are different planets then... I’ve been in both 22 years, it’s possible. :loll:

I’ve survived training since age 23 with the aid of healing bodywork. From general massage, to chiropractic and acupuncture, to the more specific modalities listed in this article I came across:

https://www.alignedmedicalgroup.com/blog/scar-tissue-mobilization-why-the-graston-technique-works

I would even put hot and cold therapies, tens units, and stretching protocols into this category.

I’ve always said “I prefer a mechanic to a chemist”, therefore I have sought out many things to help me on my journey, fixing problems at their cause, rather than covering them up with drugs etc - including my new “knee mechanic”! :tada:

I started my athletic career with a bad neck (growth spurt at 12) and bad back (horsing around showing off my strength as a teen). Rather crazy, yet entirely thrilled with what I accomplished. My left (now replaced) knee was my first actual sports caused injury. My spine surgeon agrees that this cornucopia of modalities is what kept me active and away from the knife for so long. :hugzz:

That all being said, now I’m experiencing a new pain / stiffness in the back of my knee, in the fold, on the lateral side. While I’ve rested etc the last 2 days, it’s so tight it’s reduced my bend ability again, quite an unhappy body part. I’ve had a tight poplitial issue for *years* now, but only in the last week have I felt this.

My medial pain 95% gone after my PTs good work. So I’m stretching on my Pilates reformer as I compose this message. Anyone else have this rear knee issue at some point? Feeling like this may be the last thing I need to get under control - then the bike shall get easier I hope, and I can lower the seat to where it belongs! :prayer:

The hardest thing now is gauging how much is really ok to do when left to my own devices. I’m doing my best to be cognitive and careful, and I’m following the RICE theory when I’m sore, but I admit to on and off frustration. I want to be free! :fasthorse:

Thanks again everyone. Btw back to the California thing - I started life as a kid in Texas. Will I sound the alarms if a “y’all” ever slips out? Asking for a friend. :rotfl:

@IronGirl6, all y’all folks from the south just need to learn to type faster as y’all talk so slow! :heehee:

Kidding aside, my personal opinion regarding what it takes to help our bodies heal is as unique as we are as individuals. You know your body better than anyone. If there are certain procedures or therapies that help you (and not hurt you) then I say go for it.

I’ve not experienced the issue behind the knee that you describe. My earlier issues were always to the lateral front and clearly related to a tight and tender ITB. Frustration is to be expected as you at that point where you hope to be doing more of your normal activities. But patience is still the word of the day.

@IronGirl6 Hi, I hope you won't mind me asking, but do you know how soon after surgery it's okay to ride a horse? A friend of mine is delaying her TKR because she's worried she won't be able to ride afterwards. I said I'd see if anyone on the forum could help. I saw you had horses, so thought you might be the best person to ask.

@IronGirl6 Hey, girl. It's me again!! :friends:This may get me in trouble since I'm NOT referencing a TKR---- but I DID have the popliteal pain you've referenced. It was after my ACI surgery/MUA fiasco back in 2016. I found great relief in having my PT work on my hamstrings and upper calves 3X a week, for about 15-20 minutes each time----it was basically a directed PT prescription for deep tissue massage of the areas directly above/below the knee. :) It worked wonders, regardless of the root cause of what was causing the pain. I know you and I have a lot in common with exercise/fitness goals and rarely skipping a workout, so I bet part of this is your knee area yelling at you. :) :heehee:

@IronGirl6 Hi, I hope you won't mind me asking, but do you know how soon after surgery it's okay to ride a horse? A friend of mine is delaying her TKR because she's worried she won't be able to ride afterwards. I said I'd see if anyone on the forum could help. I saw you had horses, so thought you might be the best person to ask.

Well I am planning on getting back in the saddle first time as of tomorrow - so that would be 14 weeks in my case, as my ROM has been slow to come, and I wanted to be 95% pain free first. However, someone told me a story of their family member getting a double TKR and getting back in the saddle in a month - which is hard for me to imagine, but everyone is different.

We have gaited horses, so I don’t have to worry about posting - another huge consideration.

I’d say the faster you get surgery the faster you’ll be back. That’s why I did mine in winter - so I’d be ready for spring and longer hours!

@IronGirl6 Hey, girl. It's me again!! :friends:This may get me in trouble since I'm NOT referencing a TKR---- but I DID have the popliteal pain you've referenced. It was after my ACI surgery/MUA fiasco back in 2016. I found great relief in having my PT work on my hamstrings and upper calves 3X a week, for about 15-20 minutes each time----it was basically a directed PT prescription for deep tissue massage of the areas directly above/below the knee. :) It worked wonders, regardless of the root cause of what was causing the pain. I know you and I have a lot in common with exercise/fitness goals and rarely skipping a workout, so I bet part of this is your knee area yelling at you. :) :heehee:

We are both such troublemakers, eh? :loll:

Off to Pt soon and hoping to get some good massage work in. Feeling better today after doing cardio and massive stretching on my reformer. :upright:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back