THR One week post op

juliewot

Country
United States United States
Hi. Just found this site and it’s been helpful! I am 50 and just had a right total hip replacement 2/5/19. So far it’s been amazing! No more bone on bone pain. I literally had no hip left. Surgeon was amazing! It was a more complicated case than usual. He had to add 28 mm to my right leg. I no longer stand lopsided! I have transitioned from walker to cane in the house as of today.
My biggest question is I am a pediatric occupational therapist. Will I eventually be able to get back to sitting on the floor to do my job? What time frame should I expect?

Welcome, sounds like you're doing great. 28mm is over an inch!, that's quite a difference in length. The timeline is different for everyone but a general guideline is 12 weeks to return to work and even then it's an individual thing.

Eman85 yes! I had quite the leg length discrepancy. Long story but I had bilateral hip dysplasia as an infant and they knew I’d need a replacement in my 40’s-50’s.
Best thing I’ve done given how much pain I was in! The surgeon looked at my X-ray and said “how are you walking?” It wasn’t pretty!

I've got one of those T shirts too, quite a few "how did you walk in here" from Dr.s yet I had no limp. I can move around pretty good but getting up from the floor is tough. Do you have to pick up the children? Lifting isn't something my hip likes at all.

:welome: to BoneSmart.
You sound like you are already seeing how hip surgery is life changing!
So happy for you! A surgery date will be added to your signature and you will be added to our February Valentine recovery club.
Please take a look at these recovery articles as there is loads of useful information.
This forum was a splendid recovery tool for me and the support and advice from "those who know" is unbelievably helpful, in my opinion.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfo
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Last edited:
Will I eventually be able to get back to sitting on the floor to do my job? What time frame should I expect?
You will indeed! But you need to give that new hip plenty of time to heal. Mojo has given you the guidelines. Be sure and read the chart representation of recovery and the bit about how long healing takes. Once that hip is healed you can work on building strength the flexibility.

Ok. New question. I am almost 2 weeks post op. Since coming home I have not had a problem sleeping until this weekend. Friday night and tonight. Any reason why now? I’m in a little more pain than before but not bad.
Any advice would be great!

I’m in a little more pain than before but not bad.
Pain has many forms. Have you cut back on your pain medication? Are you still icing and elevating?

:wave:Boy, did I have a time trying to figure out the sleep thing. As Jaycey says, do try to keep managed ..I had to take mine on schedule vs as-needed, to stay ahead of it.
Trying to get things to settle down and get comfortable for any length of time certainly is part of not sleeping for long periods.:bored:

Check out this link from a library.
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/...tty-much-inevitable-but-what-causes-it.13344/

I finally relented to spending an hour in bed, and a few in recliner, and night walking was not uncommon.
Take naps as often and whenever you are able.:yes:

Happy Sunday! @juliewot
I dealt with a little bit more discomfort, myself, starting about 2 1/2 weeks post op. Some tenderness, stiffness and bruising showed up and it concerned me. All part of the process. Don't be anxious or discouraged. It's the twists and turns of Recovery. I'm tagging @Mojo333 to post a little drawing on Recovery that she often uses. I believe as silly and simple as it is, it will ease your mind.
Hope today is a good one!

rps20171117_054543.jpg

It is one sent to me and makes its point.
Early days my friend..1st loop to the left maybe!:heehee:
It does get easier...and it does go up.:yes:
Hang in there, healing hugs!:console2:

Ok. That puts it in perspective! I’m a rusher...don’t enjoy being so still and confined to home. Thankful for amazing friends who are stopping by often!

Hate to say it, you'll be asking similar questions about why it hurts like this for a while yet. And the more you can't be patient the more it will happen.

So now my incision is draining terribly. Saw the surgeon this morning. Go back on Wednesday. Praying it slows down!

I'm sorry! Try not to worry.
Had it been completely closed? Or was it covered and you couldn't tell?
It sounds like you're in good hands and your surgeon is staying on top of it.
Prayers it closes without incident.
@juliewot

Oh gracious...I've heard people speak about the incision leaking before. What did the surgeon say?
I know it isn't unusual for serous fluid to leak from a wound during the early stages of healing. I do hope it slows down.

@Mojo333 and @Layla my incision had an aqua seal over it. He took it off and I have to “dress” it when the gauze is saturated.
My surgeon has been amazing! The incision is till closed. He thinks it was a hematoma that is causing the drainage. Took me off my blood thinners which he feels will help.

@juliewot Just a hiccup in the recovery journey. Hope that drainage settles soon. Hang in there - it all improves with time and patience.

Yes, many of our members report incision drainage. Doesn't happen to everyone but it does happen. Sounds like your surgeon wasn't worried about it. Just keep an eye on it and follow their instructions. The blood thinning meds could have contributed too as your surgeon said.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GordieO
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom