THR 1-8-19 hip surgery recovery

Hi, you sound like you are doing very well for being just 3 weeks post op. I agree with @Debru4 regarding possibly waiting a year for the Costa Rica trip. My husband and I went with another couple on an eco tour to Costa Rica over 10 years ago and it was amazing. Wishing you continued success with your recovery.

My 4 week update.

Thanks all for the support and well wishes! This last week hasn't changed much except that my cane use has decreased to only needing it when I am away from home, walks longer than 40-50 yards, or end of day depending on activity. If I concentrate on walking correctly (heel toe) no limp whatsoever. I haven't walked without a limp in over a year! Man does that feel good.

Was supposed to have first outpatient PT last Friday but it got rescheduled for yesterday. I really liked the therapist. The first 20 min was really just evaluation of strength on each leg (thigh, calf, foot, etc...) and difference of my flexibility between the two legs. Also he viewed how I walk with and without my cane. It felt good when he told me I would not really need PT for very long since both legs are strong although the surgical leg has some "catching up" to the right leg.

He then proceeded to tell me that the plan was to exercise and strengthen the muscles on both legs but not over do it to the extent of pain at the hip/ incision. Muscle soreness was ok to re-gain strength. Also he wanted me to massage around the incision site a couple times a day lightly. Later after more healing massage the incision itself.

First exercise: the dreaded elastic rubber bands I had heard so much about on this forum. Started out with the easy blue colored bands laying on my back trying to spread the knees apart. Did 20 of these slowly followed by squeezing the ball between the knees. Over and over the therapist ask me of my comfort level and if there was any pain which there was none. After some quarter wall squats we then walked in the parking lot on an "obstacle course" as he called it that consisted of some steps, a minor incline, a walk through a mulch bed, and through the grass. The first time walking steps like normal was ok although there was definite weakness on the left leg putting that much pressure on it to bring up the right leg on the step above. I did this with my cane the first time and wanted to try without it afterward which I was able to do but much slower.

For now my PT schedule is two times per week with walking in between appointments and the minor "counter exercises" that the in home PT people set up. On Saturday I will have at home PT exercises that the therapist will have me do. He wanted at least a day or two of rest between strengthening sessions and icing afterwards.

Today I definitely feel a little muscle soreness but overall feel very good. No hip pain at all or Vicodin needed. Going to walk my 1/2 mile loop (with cane) later today and actually looking forward to my next PT on Thursday.

Thanks for updating.
I'm happy you're not hurting after your first session.
Please proceed with caution and don't be afraid to say NO to any exercises that you're uncomfortable with.
I hope you have a great week.
@goblue61

Sounds like you are in a good place. :) I'm glad your PT is asking the right questions. Also liked the practical walk in the parking lot/obstacle course. That is so helpful. :yes!:

I was a little surprised to read that he told you that muscle soreness would be OK as it was building strength. I think it's pretty hard to isolate the muscles like that, and would be very cautious, because if it is causing pain it may not be good for your hip or the tissue/muscles around it. And the elastic bands......and squats.....oh, do be careful!

So far so good. I will be cautious to not do too much to set me back.

Every day I need to think about not over doing it. Its good that there is a little discomfort at the incision just as a reminder.

It's reassuring to read you're thinking about it daily.
Some just plow forward without much thought, aside from that they are super human :heehee:
You're doing well, don't spoil it :wink:
Hope your day is a good one!
@goblue61

Sounds like you're doing great Blue! I keep forgetting to address my incision thing too.

I agree, it is a good reminder of what is going on. I'm not too squeamish, but do cringe a little when I see it each morning before a shower.

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you've had a good week and are enjoying the progress you're making.
A great weekend to you!
@goblue61

One month out, already!?
I'm sure it feels like forever sometimes! I do remember...:nah:
Hope you are doing well.
Have a good weekend @goblue61 :SUNsmile:

@Mojo333 ---with double hips replaced, how soon did you return to work? Did one of the hips hurt more before surgery? After? I can't even imagine dealing with two, and all of the random pains and questions you must have had!

with double hips replaced, how soon did you return to work?
Too soon...half days at 5 1/2 weeks, mostly "overseeing" the Food Bank and delegating tasks. Unfortunately, once you go back..you are back. Wish I'd had the option to stay home much longer.

Did one of the hips hurt more before surgery? After?
My right SEEMED worse, more sciatica on that side but by the time of op, everything hurt all the time. After, right was weaker...major log leg.

I do hope you baby yourself after work @goblue61
It is nice to get back to a normal life, but the energy drain can be rough and healing is still happening!
We are rooting for you.
Go Blue61!

Last edited:
Yay, one month down!

Mojo,
The one thing I have realized this past month is how every recovery is different and how correct you, Layla, Jacey, Josephine, and other Moderator/ Advisors are while giving advise and support to us all. You all must spend so much time reading new post helping us learn and give us valuable information and support.

I am very grateful for the information on this forum which has helped me pre and post op and I am sure will continue in the months ahead. I feel very fortunate that I am doing so well at one month and feel saddened when reading the problems others are having at the same or longer recovery period.

Desertrat, so difficult to not over do it with exercise as I am feeling better each day and want to get back to my active life. I said this earlier I am actually glad there is some very mild discomfort at the incision site. This reminds me all times that I am not healed entirely and to be cautious. I remember you saying you have misplaced your cane a few times which I have done this week as my cane use has gone from 75% to 25%. Another week and I probably will not need the cane at all as long as I continue to walk properly.

I had my 2nd PT on Friday and was definitely challenged on all sorts of exercises that I really enjoyed doing. Bridges, crunches, clams, rubber band side steps, stair steps, one leg heel raises, squats on the Total Gym, ball leg squeeze, etc... I was a willing participant and left feeling like I may have made a mistake and had ODIC in my near future.

Although I had a little muscle soreness the next few days; some ice and Aleve took care of it just fine. Still need to be cautious at PT but so far all is going well after 2 trips. I have scheduled 2 times per week for the month of February. I am pretty sure I will not need anything after that point and can exercise on my own as the hip continues to heal.

:egypdance: great update!
Recovery is such a personalized issue...just listen to your body, It will tell you what to do!
I'm glad you are feeling that things are moving forward at the appropriate speed.
It can be a bit of dance ..but good for you for following your instincts!
Hope this week is a good week !:yes:

Bridges, crunches, clams, rubber band side steps, stair steps, one leg heel raises, squats on the Total Gym, ball leg squeeze, etc... I was a willing participant and left feeling like I may have made a mistake and had ODIC in my near future.
The use of all these are strongly disputed in this article BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy which was in your Recovery Guidelines on post #2 of this thread Jan 11, 2019. Clearly you never read them!

There's that PT question again. My guess is that @goblue61 is trusting his OS regarding PT? I am following that philosophy, too, even though I will not do anything that is painful. I figure that if I trust the surgeon to cut me and install my new hip I will follow his advice regarding PT.
Just my 2 cents. @Josephine all due respect

Clara, You are absolutely correct. I initially was not going to outpatient PT at all but my OS highly discouraged me from doing so at my 2 week check up. I trust my OS and decided to wait a few weeks and then make an appointment for PT. Although it may have sounded like the therapist killed me with an abundance of exercises, sets, and reps; in no way was I working to the point of exhaustion. All exercises were generally 12-15 reps although I probably could have done double or triple that amount if I wanted to.

So far I have not had any pain while exercising or days following so my thoughts are I am not over doing it at all. In my younger days I used to work out with weights on multiple sets till muscle failure for many years. In no way that would be a good idea at this time.

@clara4fun
I'm sure goblue61 is following his surgeons protocol for recovery, as you are. I initially agreed with your point at the beginning of my recovery and did the same. It's certainly understandable that you'd trust your OS given most of us researched heavily before making a choice as to who we'd trust to cut into our flesh and replace natural body parts.

It's an individual decision and we're here to advise, support and encourage all to the best of our ability. You don't have to follow the BoneSmart recommendations to partake in the forum. I must add that Josephine speaks from 50+ yrs experience in Orthopedics and has witnessed many an injury and setback due to aggressive PT. It is her belief and the belief of many others that PT is not necessary for recovery. With that said, it is an individual choice one can only make for themselves.

Wish you and @goblue61 only the best on your journeys. Please stay in touch. We love updates and they are inspirational to those following behind you.
A great Monday to you!

I initially was not going to outpatient PT at all but my OS highly discouraged me from doing so at my 2 week check up. I trust my OS and decided to wait a few weeks and then make an appointment for PT. Although it may have sounded like the therapist killed me with an abundance of exercises, sets, and reps; in no way was I working to the point of exhaustion. All exercises were generally 12-15 reps although I probably could have done double or triple that amount if I wanted to.
If I had a £1 for every time I've read this and then 2-3 months later, that same member has come back asking for advice regarding a whole variety of aches and pains, I'd now be a very wealthy woman! Hardly any surgeons in the UK require physio/exercises after a THR. That's why I wrote this little missive
Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Josephine,
Where can I send you E1?
I wasn't going to respond to your last post right away, but decided to eat some crow and felt like my response could help others having the PT concerns.

f I had a £1 for every time I've read this and then 2-3 months later, that same member has come back asking for advice regarding a whole variety of aches and pains, I'd now be a very wealthy woman! Hardly any surgeons in the UK require physio/exercises after a THR. That's why I wrote this little missive

From the above quote I am sure you have heard my situation a thousand times from various members. THR member is feeling great, no pain, and ready for PT to so they can gain strength and "get back to normal" as their OS has prescribed.

Well, add me to the list and ODIC.

Last Monday I attended my 3rd PT session after having no issues at all the first two sessions. The session last Monday included stronger resistance bands, additional reps, and some new exercises not previously done. I wont get into all the various exercises but this increased "therapy" all felt fine at the time and did not hurt whatsoever at the time of doing them. The therapist kept asking me if I was ok and all was well even though I felt the session could have ended after 30 min and all would have been just fine. Instead we continued another 30 min going down the dreaded check list. I left feeling ok and iced down that night.

Next Day: Felt like I was run over by truck (heard that expression by another member awhile back). Not only did the surgical hip feel pain, the non surgical hip and leg felt almost as bad along with lower back pain which put me back on the couch. The back and hip pain was quite bad last week for about 4-5 days and I even had to use my cane pretty much full time which I had gotten rid for the most part before the PT last Monday. Needless to say; I cancelled the Thursday PT and am considering not going back.

I am now almost back to normal after 6 days and have no pain in the hips, butt, thighs, and lower back that was aggravated in the workout last Monday. I have my 6 week check up tomorrow with my OS and have several questions to ask including what exactly is the purpose of me continuing PT? Especially a complete hour.

Do these surgeons/ therapist believe that PT is needed to break up scar tissue and get your range of motion back? Is that not possible to do on your own? Walking as recommended on this forum seems like it could take care of slowly gaining strength along with some minor exercises done at home. What is the rush that the OS wants a patient to attend PT 2-3 times a week?

I know you advisors/ administrators are above "I told you so" although I deserve it.

Wont be the first time eating crow and not following recommendations. Pass the ketchup!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back