THR Are We There Yet?

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Hope you're having a good weekend.
Four months already! A good reason to celebrate your great recovery with a nice dinner and maybe even a Greyhound? :heehee: Can dry January be broken, then reinstated 5 days into February? :good-bad:
Whatever your plans are for the weekend, I hope it's a good one!
@Barbaraj

Hmmm, @Bone-obo, I've not heard of a "strider". The elliptical I use does have arms on it which you alternate and I suspect there is a bit of resistance there as well as with the lower body. There are other ellipticals which simply have handholds and no movement for the arms, but I generally try to pick the ones that have the active arms and it's also nice because these particular machines are on a wall of windows looking outside, so lots of natural light when it's a sunny day, like today.

Pilates on Thursday went well, although it felt harder than the first class I took. The woman I go with said she found it harder as well, so it wasn't just me. I felt okay right after class, but definitely a bit achy in my groin, butt and quads about 24 hours later. I think this is probably pretty normal, as I am stretching and strengthening muscles which haven't been worked out for a long time. I know, the key is to do this slowly and deliberately so I'm not overly stressing them and setting myself back. So, if this stiffness and soreness doesn't fade shortly, this is a reminder to myself to slow it down--don't do as many repetitions, don't overly extend, don't use weights, etc. As always, it's the small and sensible adjustments that will serve me well.

I have lunch with a friend today, at a nearby restaurant, and I'm hoping we'll sit by the restaurant's front window so we can enjoy a sunny view. It's a beautiful day in my neighborhood and although I'm scheduled for a gym workout today, I might decide to walk down to the restaurant instead for my daily cardio. We'll see how my morning goes and how the timing works out. Onwards, I tell myself, keep pushing ahead always.

Hi, @Layla--I can definitely drink again. As I think I mentioned in an earlier post, I was really only doing Dry January as a way to support a friend who was looking to this as a way to perhaps cut calories, a "training diet" as that is a new year's goal for her. I don't need to lose any weight but wanted to be supportive of her. Well, yesterday she told me she was DONE with dry January. I did try to convince her to stick with the plan, but she refused and as I'd only been doing it as a support for her (misery loves company) I see no reason why I should continue. So, yes, I WILL be back to having a cocktail or glass of wine when I feel like it. I see a glass of sauvignon blanc with my lunch today! And--OMG--I just realized from your post that I am officially 4 months from surgery today--whoopee! Feeling remarkably well, all things considered. Sure, have a way to go but on a sunny day like today, my mood is positive and upbeat--I can do this! Thanks for checking in and reminding me of this happy milestone!

Happy 4 month anniversary for yesterday. I just romped through your thread. Much more interesting than the novel I have put aside! I hope you get a good long spell to enjoy your new hip without too much bother from the other one.

Lots of things about the rapidity of your recovery amazed me. For example, you could sleep on either side from the very early days.

I hope you enjoyed your Sauvignon blanc. Is your friend a wimp for giving up only a few days from the end of the month, or a marvel for getting so far?

Ha, ha, @Klassy, I was amazed my friend got as far as she did! I really did try to persuade her to stick it out for the last part of the month, but she was adamant that she was done. She did, however, thank me for my support and said that going forward she intends to be more mindful and deliberate about her alcohol consumption which, as far as I am concerned, makes it worthwhile to have gone through this mostly dry January. And yes, I DID enjoy a glass of sauvignon blanc with lunch one day, and also a yummy Satsuma Cosmo cocktail at dinner with my husband the following night.

Well, I think I might have been able to sleep on my right, operated hip side but I really never tried it as I am a left hip, close to the edge of the bed, sleeper. I could roll over onto my right side fairly quickly but I'm not sure I could have slept on it. It will be interesting when I finally--groan--have to get my left hip replaced as I will have to switch sides of the bed and sleep on my right, not left, hip. I was also astounded by the fact that except for one night when I forgot to wake up to take a pain pill (was quickly advised to set an alarm for that) I really had no pain--just stiffness, soreness, tenderness, whatever--but no muscle pain. I felt as if that was a true miracle!

My recovery was fairly swift, although like everyone else on this forum, I did overdo it a few times but nothing that set me back long term. I credit this mostly to being in fairly good physical shape before surgery, with regular (if limited) exercise and I'm not overweight. I did a weekly Pilates class the summer before surgery, and daily PT exercises (which had been prescribed for my sciatica but seemed to help strengthen the musculature around my hips, too) as well as continued cardio at the gym on an elliptical. Sure, I wasn't very impressive in any of these activities and it got harder and harder as I approached surgery, but I always believed it was better to do something as I was able rather than sit around and brood and wring my hands. I'm not saying I didn't have days when I felt perfectly miserable (like many folks, I was terrified at the prospect of surgery) but I somehow managed to pick myself up from those bad days and try to resume some kind of exercise the day after, no matter how minimal--"onwards" through gritted teeth.

Thanks for checking in. It is a sunny day here in the PNW so I may get outside at some point and pick up yard debris from our deck. We have an enormous redwood and a cedar tree in our backyard which throw off an incredibly amount of stuff all winter long. I will try not to do too much as I really don't want to set myself back as I did a few weeks ago when I really hurt my lower back. Cheers, all, and happy Monday!

Hi @Barbaraj, Hope you are getting some of the lovely sunshine today. We have another day of it and then rain returns. It looks like we may get a break and then a cold snap and heaven forbid, snow flurries and more starting mid week next week...please no!

I had to share that I did a brief five mins on the elliptical yesterday which was great. I thought of you and your positive encouragement about it, so thank you!!!

Hoping you have enjoyed your latte this AM and wishing you a great day :SUNsmile:

Glad you "enjoyed" your work on the elliptical, @Alitm --even five minutes is encouraging. You've got to start somewhere and I hope to make a complete convert of you at some point--although with your normal busy and active life (as opposed to me, the sluggish suburbanite) I don't think you'd need gym visits to keep in shape.

Ah, it's Hump Day, midweek and I've just returned from the gym. Oh, I am a bit stiff, but I think mostly from yesterday's Pilates class. My arms feel like jelly, and left hip is aching a bit. I think I just need to realize that exercise, to some extent, is going to equal a bit of soreness as I work to build up strength and flexibility. The after effects of exercise are not total collapse, so I'm not overdoing it, but at 4 months out I do think I need to start pushing myself (sensibly, moderators, I am not foolhardy!) a bit more every week.

Swung by grocery store on the way home from the gym, and picked up ingredients for mac and cheese, a new recipe promising a "creamy" casserole. We shall see, I am pretty picky about my mac and cheese but would love to find an easy recipe that produces reliably good stuff without the expense of the Barefoot Contessa's recipe (the gold standard, but gruyere ain't cheap!). Today's version involves sharp and extra sharp cheddar, and half and half. I think I'll start working on it after lunch today. I also bought broccoli to steam as an accompaniment to the mac and cheese--broccoli, the ultimate virtuous vegetable and side dish when you're planning a creamy, high fat main dish!

Today's version involves sharp and extra sharp cheddar, and half and half. I think I'll start working on it after lunch today.
As a child I told my Mother I wanted to have mac and cheese everyday. It's still my all time comfort food. Please let us know how this recipe turns out.

So happy for you Re your update. Sounds like all the things you have done have really worked for you. We all have spring to look forward to once the cold winter is out of the way. My hot water bottle is my best friend this week and the duvet.

Oh, Sunday morning--wet, chilly and gloomy. A typical day in the PNW this time of year. There is also a suggestion from the weather gurus that we might--shudder--get a touch of snow tonight. It will be very little, if any, but folks freak out around here when we get a bit of snow. I personally refuse to drive in it although my husband points out that my car is all-wheel drive and I needn't be concerned. Ha! I am a snow weenie!

Oh, @Jaycey, wish I could tell you that I've discovered the poor man's macaroni and cheese recipe but, no, it was okay but not that great--it was no Barefoot Contessa recipe, that is for sure. It was cheesy but not the creamy texture I'd been led to believe I could achieve by the recipe's online reviewers. The hunt continues!

Did PT exercises yesterday as well as a ton of cleaning--stripped down to my birthday suit and scrubbed out our master bathroom shower, used leather cleaner to clean/polish the sofa and two armchairs in our family room, polished all the display silver, vacuumed the entire downstairs, got down on my hands and knees and occasionally stomach to do a bit of touch up on the white painted floorboards that inevitably chip from wear. All in all, it was a fairly strenuous day! But feeling good this morning and I intend to head off to the gym for a workout later this morning.

It's Super Bowl Sunday but I could care less (sorry, diehard fans). I am sure my husband will watch the game, and I may poke my head in occasionally to see the half time show and maybe some of the much vaunted commercials that will punctuate the game. I might be a good wife and bake some chocolate chips cookies for my husband to enjoy (although I know I need to stay away from those--they trigger Mindless Eating 101). Otherwise, a quiet day for me. I keep plugging along.

Last edited:
I’m a bit late. Reading the most recent posts to this thread. First, I’d say get an outside garage door opener where you enter the code and the door opens. It’s saved me a few times. Barbara, I love your energy and optimism. I too am in a bit of a recovery funk (more mental than physical) and you remind me that it all just takes time. The stiffness after a long drive, after waking up, after sitting for too long, walking for too long, etc., is probably a good sign. . . .right? :tada:

Well, it was snowy here in the PNW yesterday and today (although really hard packed ice today--argh), but not really a huge amount of snow. However, even a dusting sends the natives into a tizzy! I think it's very pretty but I don't drive in snow, even a dusting so I was hunkered down for the day with a book in hand--and then the power went out and it was COLD inside despite warm socks, sweater and jacket, and a lap robe. Husband decided to brave the snow and crazed drivers out there, and we went out for lunch, joined by neighbors. I had some delicious French onion soup, pea salad and a tasty glass of sauvignon blanc. To cap off a pleasant meal, another neighbor texted at lunch that the power had come back on so--yay--return to a warming house. The gas fire place got immediately turned on, and I plopped my tushie down in a chair for the afternoon. Hip was a bit stiff (well, both of 'em actually) so I'll needed to remember to get up frequently and walk around--hips do NOT like cold weather, apparently--but all's right with my world at this point.

Today is another mostly inside day. My work out pal texted me early that she's off to ski in the mountains with her husband this morning, so nobody to go to Pilates with--guess we'll go on Thursday instead. In the meantime, since my husband intends to hit the gym today I will go with him for a workout and shower. He does a much longer workout than I do, but I can plop in a chair in the lounge area and read while I wait for him. Then we'll swing by the grocery store on the way home for dinner ingredients. Our son and his girlfriend were supposed to be coming over to make dinner for us but that got canceled so--rats--I guess I have to make something instead.

It is a sunny day, with blue skies out there despite the cold so that is a nice mood booster. We so seldom get snow around here that I am trying to be positive about it and at least revel in the sunshine and blue skies despite feeling a bit stiff. I am sure the elliptical will help with stiffness this morning. Cheers.

Last edited:
get an outside garage door opener where you enter the code and the door opens

I agree, @Atkinson8, that we need a better plan for loss of power. I am a little unsure how it would work with just a code, as wouldn't you still need power to lift the door? It is quite heavy, but my husband can manage it when we've had to cope due to power loss. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how a code works. But thanks for the suggestion. And I hope you're feeling better shortly, I think these mood swings are to be expected for recovering hipsters. As it is a bright, sunny day despite the nasty snow, my mood is pretty positive this morning despite the hips feeling stiff and a bit cranky. I've found on my "blue funk" days that distraction (as it is for toddlers :heehee:) is the best medicine. Grab a book, call a friend, do whatever exercise you can manage, bake cookies, whatever floats your boat! Hang in there, it WILL get better for you and all of us as each day passes.

All sounds very positive! I am having a dry February so envious of your glass of Sauv Blanc but I did overdo it a bit on holiday so now trying to lose the weight I gained. That said, all the stairs paid off and I am keeping this up at the Uni. 90 stair steps a day and increasing. Trying to do foot over foot going down which is still hard for me. Barbara can I fly you over to the uk to sort my house out. It is Clutter City right now! Xx

Hi, always enjoy reading your posts. Glad to hear you are getting some sunshine even though it is cold. The PNW is so beautiful. My hubbie and I visited Olympic NP a couple of years ago, gorgeous. We have been having rain here in Southern California for the last 4-5 days, got around 4 inches and lots of snow in the local mountains. Still cloudy today, but sun is on the way for a few days, high of 50 today, low of 35. @Atkinson8 I can sympathize with the funk we can get into although it does not happen as much as in the earlier days. Stiffness is the same for me. Eating out is tolerable if we don't take too long. One enjoyable thing is going to the movie theaters that have the reclining seats! I always put an ice pack on while driving in the car. Hope everyone has a great day!

Another bright and sunny day here in the PNW! But...stupid snow and ice still remain. It has mostly melted on our driveway and main roads, but I am still not going anywhere. My husband drove us both to the gym yesterday morning for a workout, and given the availability of parking spaces and fewer than normal number of folks inside, I think a lot of people opted to stay home and wait until driving conditions improve. Given the smaller number of folks in the cardio room, I opted to crank the resistance/incline down on my elliptical and then proceeded to do an hour yesterday--first time I've ever been able to go that long post-surgery! Okay, I was a wee bit sore afterwards but this morning I am feeling pretty good. This is a bit surprising as I slept wretchedly--one of those "wake up at 2:30 AM and don't get back to sleep until it's almost time to get up" sorts of nights--argh! I am sure by late afternoon I'll be doddering away, but with a nice morning latte swilled down, I am feeling alert and cheerful so far.

I will do some PT exercises later this morning. Still struggling, as I suspect many recovering hipsters are, with finding a good balance between exercise and rest. You have to do something, I believe, or you will completely lock up. But doing too much is also not advisable as then you REALLY ache (or at least I do) for several days afterwards, not to mention how crabby and irritated you'll feel! It is still trial and error for me, but I know I need to keep pushing the envelope weekly if I have a prayer of getting back into reasonable shape. Crabby left hip would love to mess things up for me, but thus far I'm able to mostly sneer at it and keep on moving. Fortunately, despite not as much flexibility in my operated right hip as I'd like, it mostly doesn't bother me except for that pesky morning stiffness.

Barbara can I fly you over to the uk to sort my house out.
Sure, @SurreyGirl, I'd be happy to come to your house in the UK and de-clutter. It is always so much easier to help someone else than do it yourself--no emotional attachment to anything, and one can be steely eyed and determined! When in doubt, throw it out!

Wow, @KathyB, sounds like, although no snow and freezing temperatures, you've not been having the greatest weather--that's a LOT of rain! I have to say I'd gladly take rain over snow any day, but you did note that sun was on its way back--hurray! California is a big state and I know there are different weather patterns depending upon where you are, but somehow I like to think of California as this big vat of sunshine and warm temperatures all the time. Guessing that's not the case, however. Stay dry!

Barbara just make sure you don’t accidentaly throw out my husband! We have a spare bedroom, but you would have to declutter it first xx

Ha, ha, @SurreyGirl! I would try not to consign your hubby to the dust heap! He's probably a bit heavier/bigger than I am, so grabbing him and throwing him over my shoulder on the way to the garbage cans might not be feasible. I would just silently point to the corner of the room so he'd stay out of the way of this Woman on a Mission!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom