THR Here we go again

I tried magnesium a couple of times after reading about its benefits on here but it just worked as a laxative?
Try cutting the dosage down to half what you took. It does work as a laxative if you take too much.

Just an ordinary little pill in a pot from the pharmacy. 375 mgs per tablet. (I swallowed Milk of Magnesia by the bottleful when I was pregnant. I'm sure it's not recommended now. But it was great for heartburn!)

Thank you. I wonder why they have such a high dose as standard when it can easily be bought over the counter? Will chopping it in half work? Or should I look elsewhere?(sorry to barge in to another's thread!)

If you can cut it in half with a pill cutter that will work. Otherwise find a lower dose.

Let's hand this thread back to Rua now.

Hi Rua, I hadn't read your thread for a while but got caught up just now. Ouch! I hope you have found some relief from your pain.

Last night in bed, as well as feeling the electric shock pain in my left thigh, I also began to feel it in my right foot. I put off calling my GP until my daughter nagged me into it this afternoon. He called me back and chatted, said it sounds more like nerve pain than muscle pain, told me to take Sevredol every six hours, and said he'll come out to see me tomorrow afternoon. It's frustrating because I'm otherwise doing well and my operated hip seems to be healing much more quickly than the other one did after surgery.

That's interesting about magnesium working as a laxative. I suppose I could cut out the senna and lactulose if that were the case for me! Sometimes I feel like just blowing my gluten free diet, having a chinese curry, and dealing with the constipation at the same time! Then I remember that eating gluten affects my ability to absorb nutrients and I need to eat a nutritious diet to heal, so my sensible side kicks in and I let the dream of delicious food waft away in the ether.

Hang in there my friend.
It's just frustrating aggravating exasperating troublesome...did I say frustrating:unsure:..temporary recovery business.
You are doing just fine and these are such early days.

Sending good healing mojo your way!!:roseshwr:

He called me back and chatted, said it sounds more like nerve pain than muscle pain, told me to take Sevredol every six hours, and said he'll come out to see me tomorrow afternoon.

That sentence caught my attention....your doctor makes house calls?!?! How nice for you, this early on. Does he think the pain is from nerves related to your hip, or your back since it's happening in both legs?

It sounds like your daughter has been a great help---glad you contacted your doctor and will get some answers, and pain relief. Take care.....and remember, you are less than 2 weeks out of surgery, and recovery, even with the same procedure varies. :console2:

:wave: @Ruamac
Just checking by to see how you were doing?
I know these first weeks are a struggle:console2:
Things do ease and get better so hang in there friend!:ok:

I have one thing to add on Magnesium for those who've read the earlier posts here,
hopefully it benefits someone. I'm going to start mentioning Magnesium Glycinate when I suggest someone look into supplementing with it. Purportedly the body finds this form easier to absorb than the many other forms it comes in. It's supposedly easiest on the stomach in this form without causing upset stomach or loose stools. As with anything, do the research. @bickypeg

I hope you've had a good week @Ruamac
Coming up on your Three Week Anniversary I see.
I'll bet things are really looking up and you're noticing progress.
I hope you have a peaceful Sunday!

Thanks, @Layla and @Mojo333 for your kind words. My hip seems to be doing very well. It is definitely recovering much quicker than my left hip did after surgery. I can get around the house on just one crutch now and I can even manage short distances without crutches, although it's a bit of a hobble. As far as pain relief is concerned I'm now only using paracetamol 1,000mg first thing in the morning and last thing at night and even then it's not every day I feel the need. So I'm pretty optimistic about the recovery of this hip and expect to be crutch-free in two or three weeks, indoors, and within a couple of months, outdoors.

The thing, however, that is still causing me concern is the nerve pain in my other thigh. I'm taking pregablin 25mg in the morning and 75mg at night. It's definitely controlling the excruciating electric shocks but I'm still being wakened by the intense burning, pins and needles, and sensation of insects crawling on my leg. It doesn't bother me during the day, unless I take a nap. Which I probably should be doing more often but the dread of the symptoms puts me off lying down unless I physically can't stay awake. I'm hoping that this is all temporary but worried that it will be very long-term, if not permanent.

The reason I haven't been updating here is because I'm uncomfortable with the attention and sympathy. Everyone's very nice and kind and caring but it makes me feel very self-conscious. So please feel free to ignore me. I just wanted to update because you were kind enough to ask and to answer my questions and I want you to know that I do appreciate your concern. Hopefully, in a few months time, I'll be able to come back and say that everything is fine and perhaps have the chance to allay the fears of others who might be having similar problems with nerve damage.

Meanwhile, love to everyone who has been kind enough to comment and give me love and encouragement.

Rua xx

Hi Ruamac! Thanks for updating. It's so nice to hear from you.
It's difficult to ignore you. We care. Your recovery sounds great aside from the nerve pain.
I'd be happy to tag, Josephine for you if you'd like her opinion. She has 50+ yrs experience in Orthopedics and has seen a lot. I don't want to do it without your permission so you can think on it and let us know. Thanks for touching base especially in light of you're feelings on it all. I hope your symptoms gradually abate and you come back and say Hi on occasion. We'll be here and would love to hear from you.
Wishing you all the best going forward!
@Ruamac

@Rhu I think the feeling you are describing would drive me around the bend! I am no medical professional and don't know how soon it is safe to apply heat near the op area but in your shoes I think I would look into putting a heating pad on my thigh?
I do hope it settles down soon!

Rua----Sorry you felt uncomfortable with all of the attention....I think for most of us when we say "I'm sorry......" we aren't necessarily "feeling sorry" for you, but rather we are empathizing and relating to what you are going through. Thanks for your honesty in sharing your discomfort.

Having a major part of our body replaced with an artificial part, after long periods of pain is a pretty momentous event. Since this is your second hip, you have had more experience with the whole process. Just know if you ever want to check in, and either share your concerns, OR to share your own expertise there are lots of people on here who care! :)

I sure can understand you would be frustrated that you have had problems with the left leg only since your right THR which would only make one wonder if it was stressed somehow during the surgery.
Which surgical approach did you have?
When do you return for followup with OS?
I'm glad right one is doing well and I do hope this other situation is temporary and resolves soon.
Hugs, rua

Has your OS considered meralgia parasthetica - a neurological condition that causes numbness, tingling and sometimes pain in the outer thigh. It's usually not serious. Meralgia paresthetica happens when a nerve, known as the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve, becomes compressed.
#meralgiaparesthetica

Still begs the question how it occurred during your other op?
As you say, maybe from laying on that side?

Hi :hi: @Ruamac
Just dropping by to say Hi and wish you a Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well and wish you only good things going forward.
Stop by whenever you feel like it...we'll be here. :flwrysmile:

Hi @Ruamac
Wondered how you've been and hope that you are finding your recovery groove?
This recovery journey can be frustrating at times...but I do hope you are well.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88