Hip collapse?

Hi @Carriemay60 :flwrysmile:. Yes, I read in your earlier thread that your husband was from S Wales, so I included it in my post! I live between Cardiff and Bridgend, about 13 miles from Bridgend. I had a cousin who settled in Hamilton after the war. He was in the RAF, stationed in Hamilton (Mount Hope??), then married and raised his family there. This was many years before I was born, so I never knew him. Such a small world.

I hope you are feeling more comfortable today. I had dreadful bouts of pain before my revision in 2014, and can relate to that feeling sick with the intense pain (I had been subluxating (partial dislocations)). I'm sure you are being extra careful with that hip, but that won't stop us telling you to take care. Best wishes :friends:

@helenium I went to Cowbridge with my in-laws for lunch one day and loved it so much I took the bus back there on my own just to shop snoop and have a welcome day away from my mother-in-law. My father-in-law went to school there. I assume you are in that area. It is indeed a small world!

Mt. Hope is just a 10 minute drive from our house. Not much there except the airport and a spectacular aviation museum where they restore planes from WW2. My husband retired from the RAF prior to coming to Canada and has since worked as a civilian.

You have certainly jumped through some hoops with your joints!

@Carriemay60 One of my daughters was married at The Bear Hotel in Cowbridge. Its a lovely small town, just a short drive away, even closer to me than Bridgend! Lovely place to meet for a coffee in the future?! And I've just looked up an address in my mother's old address book - Patricia Place, Hamiton.

Yes, my joints have been a bit of a problem in the past. (It's a bit embarrassing that my signature can be longer than my posts!) Unfortunately I hadn't found BoneSmart then, but as my knee is still a bit of a problem I might even have a thread of my own very soon ...

How is that hip of yours today? Is it a bit easier for you? I do hope so.

@helenium Patricia Place is very close to our house down one little avenue!! It's quite a small street with not many houses at all. All little brick bungalows in here built in the 1940's. (some have been replaced or totally renovated) How interesting to "meet you"!

Only moving between bed, couch & washroom today and staying on top of painkiller in hopes that resting it might improve it as I can't imagine living with this much pain until April. Seeing Jaycey's description of her ordeal makes me nauseous!

Don't be embarrassed by your signature! Judi Dench did less and she's a Dame!! :loveshwr::wowspring:

the osteo is getting worse and the femoral ball is rubbing on my pelvis
The correct interpretation of this is that the femoral head is rubbing on the hip socket. What we generally call "bone on bone"! It's a miserable state to be in. Hope you get your hip replacement done soon.

Seeing Jaycey's description of her ordeal makes me nauseous!
Sorry! Didn't mean to cause you and distress. Jo's description of bone on bone is better perhaps. In any case, it's not a fun state to be in. Hang in there! Sounds like your surgeon it trying to get things sorted for you.

At this stage...endstage OA..it is a definite mind game.
I hurt all the time...was sleep deprived and by the time I got a correct diagnosis and a surgery date I think that desperate was the place I was in.
I STAYED on a heating pad whenever I was not up. It did soothe things some...
Lots of sympathy here, friend.:console2:
We are lucky there is something that will "cure" this.
Can't imagine going through life like that!

@mojo Yes, the heating pad is helping me sleep a bit I think. I am lucky that I normally have painkiller on hand for my arthritis. I'm sure many don't pre-surgery. You are right about the mind game; anything to keep our minds off it, even for a few minutes at a time is helpful. I try to concentrate on the future and daydream about doing fun stuff with my grandkids and starting to get back into my cooking & sewing in a bigger way.

That's the way..:ok:
I just kept the word Temporary rolling through my brain.
And early days post-op.

You've done this before...and I'm hoping this one will go beautifully and put you back on the path to happy and healthy!:happydance:

Got the call to see the surgeon Wednesday morning. It will be good to hear his opinion on what is going on and if it will mean getting things done any sooner.

Having surgery sooner will mean I can't travel for the birth of our 8th grandchild in mid-March but realistically, not sure I could manage the trip now anyway unless this settles down a lot!

Having surgery sooner will mean I can't travel for the birth of our 8th grandchild in mid-March but realistically, not sure I could manage the trip now anyway unless this settles down a lot!
Gosh, a trip in all that pain sounds like sheer torture. I do hope you get an earlier date. Just focus on how you will be able to chase that new grandchild once this is done and dusted.

I feel like I have a target on my back with a sign that says "hit me with your best shot"!
I had what I assume was the grandmother was of all spasms last night. Remembering the benefits of icing after my hip surgery I asked for ice but that clearly wasn't helpful in the least so on a dear friends quick advice got some heat on it which eventually helped settle it down.
So intense, tears were gushing out of my eyeballs :bawl: This morning I feel like I got kicked in the butt with a steel toe boot and the groin & hip pain are both relentless so keeping heat on for now.

I had hoped to get out today to get a present for my husband's birthday tomorrow but that doesn't feel very smart right now. I fear he will get an IOU with some tickets I bought online for a Joni Mitchell tribute. I will try to do a boxed dessert treat for him to take to work tomorrow. (always the birthday person's turn to take a treat) I often make Welsh cakes for the occasion and they say they love them but that is far too much standing.

Really looking forward to seeing my surgeon tomorrow and with any luck will be told there may be an earlier end in sight!

@Carriemay60

I’m just so sorry you’re going through all this pain, and am really hoping your surgery gets moved up on the schedule.

Sorry to hear about all your pain issues. Good luck at the surgeon tomorrow. Hopefully you can get surgery sooner.
Thinking of you.

So sorry you are having spasms! Heat does help in some cases.

You are probably very wise to limit your activities today. Rest up for your appointment tomorrow. Please keep us updated!

I had those spasms in the weeks before my THR. I hope that situation improves for you soon. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Good luck with the surgeon, I so hope you can get an early date.

The tickets bought online sound like a great present. Of course I’m sure the present your husband would love would be to have you fully recovered, I hope that is not too long delayed.

My husband just got his Christmas present today, when I finally ventured upstairs. I’d had the foresight to buy it before my op, but not the foresight to bring it downstairs from its hiding place.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson